Pope set to resign / New Pope elected

Cheap21

• Members

I don't care that much about preemptions but I just disagree with the idea that people are wrong if they do get upset about them. This is not something that affects most of the people watching. It's a chance for a bunch of jerkoff news people to preen and pose and blather the same ten talking points someone wrote on a card for them.

It's also not some new phenomenon for people to complain about preemptions. People complained about Watergate hearings, and I'd imagine that was far more important to Americans than this is.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't see the upset for the preemption. Life goes on, the episode airs tomorrow. I seriously doubt we missed anything great. Seemed like a retread of the same storylines anyway from the previews.

If it were for weather or like yesterday, then yeah, I get the upset.

Whether WE personally like it or not, this was big news. I do object to the constant repeating of everything and the endless need for Diane Sawyer to ask the "panel of experts" (lol) to go into detail about hallways, thought processes ... damn. Enough. They sure can stretch an hour and a half.

I was also annoyed by Good Morning America when they spent what felt like an eternity on the snow when the North Korea stuff was making news. Um, you think THAT'S important but you can't take time out to talk about North Korea until 20 minutes in? Seriously. Sometimes ABC News annoys the piss out of me.

• Members

I also doubt they get the ratings they want for stuff like this. I think most would just go to cnn.com or something if they wanted to see this that bad. I am just mostly upset that anniversary episode gets pushed back a day.

ABC should just take a chance and let Soapnet air the eppy and on their site and hulu

• Members

I'm sure it matters to many in the US too, but there's nothing that is going to be learned from the usual sycophantic prattling of doddering hacks.

This is all I need to know about this man.

I learned that without watching George Will and friends squint ponderously at me through my TV.

• Members

It's a separation of Church and State in the US, so people who are of other religions don't care about this. Ask a Muslim or an Orthodox Jew if this is a "huge deal" and they'll say no. And, being that this is the US, they have every RIGHT to say so.

• Members

You're right. Those people probably don't care and they have every right not to. However, it's ridiculous to act like it's some huge tragedy that GH got pushed back one day because of it and that's nobody cares about the new Pope. I'm sure there are millions of Catholics in the US that care about it.

I guess I'm just use to the church playing much more of a part in your everyday life (whether you're a member or not) than it does for people in the US. My apologies if I offended anyone.

As for the episode being pushed back, I wouldn't worry to much about it affecting the anniversary plans. The anniversary episodes are spread over several days so it probably won't make much of a difference what episode airs that day.

• Members

Then they can cover it with breathless adoration over there.

I'm far less offended by GH being preempted - which really doesn't bother me - than I am by the non-stop, round the clock, all-network coverage of this as though it is just as relevant to the United States and its people as it was 30, 50 years ago. Frankly it smacks of imposing an older demographic (and morality's) mindset onto the public. "Isn't this exciting? Aren't you excited? Stay tuned!" Hopefully in ten years we'll have grown out of this.

• Members

I don't see it as imposing anything onto the public. And what's wrong with the older demo that wants to see the news. I know my mom was likely watching the announcement. She watches the Pope's mass every Christmas Eve and has since she was younger. I'm pretty sure it still ended up on the news of in countries that aren't largely Catholic as well.

Archived