Pope set to resign / New Pope elected

Cheap21

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know...I mean, I wish we could have a Pope that just openly accepted gay marriage and homosexuality in general, but I just (unfortunately) can't see it happening. I think, right now, Pope Frances is about as far as we could hope to see in terms of pushing the boundaries and I feel it's a step in the right direction.

• Members

They were interviewing a priest from Catholic U/the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on the news here in D.C. last night and the reporter asked him about the church modernizing their views on abortion for example. The priest made it clear that abortion is not a political issue for the Catholic church. It goes against the church's religious tenants, so for them to consider changing their stance is out of the question. I can respect that as much as I can respect the views of any religion. I can also take it or leave it. And having grown up in the church myself, there's a big difference between what we preach is right or wrong and what we actually do.

• Members

My friend's family works with a Catholic church near their home. I was so surprised when one of the priests swung by the house and poured himself a drink just like the rest of us were having. My dad's Catholic but I was raised protestant/pentecostal and I had no clue that the Catholic church condoned priests drinking.

• Members

They're definitely allowed to smoke. One of the priests at the parish where I grew up was a heavy smoker. A friend and I were walking passed him one day and he was smoking. We told him that it was bad for his lungs but he just shrugged it off.

• Members

I was raised in the Church, and I don't really know whether or not I consider myself "Catholic" anymore. I mean, it's still listed on my Facebook profile, I still answer that I was raised Catholic when asked, and I still attend mass from time to time. I went to Catholic school all the way through, and my mom wanted me to consider Catholic college but I just could not do that, LOL. But I think the reason I am on the fence is because I wasn't raised hardcore Catholic. My parents always raised me to believe that my relationship itself was with God, and that the Catholic church was just where we went to express that. So, in going to Catholic school, I guess I grew up believing mostly what they practice. But as I got older, I definitely started to form my own thoughts and opinions. Of course I don't agree that homosexuality is a sin, or that gays go to hell. I am disgusted by the sex scandals. I don't like the judgement, or the hypocrisy.

But as someone who was raised in the Church, I have to say I see the election of Pope Frances as a step in the right direction. Is he perfect? No - but you have to understand that the Catholic church is a very messy place in a lot of ways. They are extremely die-hard in their beliefs, and it's going to be years and years before that ever changes. Do I ever think they will outright accept homosexuality? Probably not, but I see this as progress, of sorts. We'll just have to wait it out.

As for priests drinking -

We were friendly with our pastor when I was younger,and often invited him to our post-church get-togethers. He often would have a drink, but obviously wasn't getting sloshed.

I don't believe I've ever seen a priest smoke, but I don't think there's any rule against it. But like I said I'm hardly the best Catholic around so I might not be the best person to answer that! LOL

• Members

You know what's annoying? Attending mass on Easter when it's packed and all these "Catholics" who you've never seen before are now occupying your regular seat and you end up standing in the back! ANNOYING! And then next week, POOF, they're nowhere to be found.

• Members

Maybe if the Catholic Church reached out to those that show up only on Easter maybe they would attend more often and not get your chair.....Instead they preach bigorty..discriminate.. and other [!@#$%^&*] and half of those Catholics that go everyday are worse sinners than those they dont go to church. And before you say it yes all sins are the same ...but I hate people who go to church and think they are better than those that dont go...

• Members

Showing up on Easter Sunday isn't just a fad in the Catholic Church. It happens in other denominations as well. I think it's probably some American thing to get a brand new Easter outfit to show off that one day.

And I don't think that all sins are equivalent because you'll never convince me that committing murder is exactly the same level of sin as lying about eating a piece of candy.

Archived