Lifetime TV Movie: Betty & Coretta

VirginiaHamilton

• Members

Did anyone see this flick on Lifetime over the weekend? If so, what did you think?

xxx-betty--corretta-movie0-4_3_r536_c534

Though I know that both the King and the Shabazz families took issue with the portrayal of their late and great mothers, I can't quite agree with them that this movie was a hatchet job. Furthermore, I'm happy that there was an outlet to showcase a movie about two strong, legendary, and esteemed Black women - especially since the feature film industry hasn't bothered to in years.

While I expected (and was proud to be right about) Angela to do Mrs. Scott-King justice, I was pleasantly surprised that my MJB put in work to do a credible job in portraying Dr. Shabazz. I'd like to think that working with Black Hollywood royalty prompted her to not half-step onscreen.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was going to watch, but I've been watching so many emotionally draining stories about our people for the past few weeks (Roots, King, Miss Jane Pittman, Brewster Place, Unsung, Nippy's kin...) that this movie just felt like "heavy" viewing and I decided to get back to it later. I hope it did well in the ratings. I think Lifetime's Steel Magnolias got great numbers.

Archived