DAYS: February 2013 Discussion

• Members
if they ever had a close relationship, the show is ruining it for me. I hate watching them together onscreen. I wish she were Billie. Oh snaps, I totally just realized that the best friends share a brother. I don't think the show ever showed him with both of them sad.png

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

MAXINE GETS A NEW LAST NAME!

Maxine's last name was only said once on "Days", in the March 21, 2011 episode. As Rafe 2 is in pain, Sami screams for "Nurse Thomas" to come in and help and the scene ends. The next scene begins with Maxine present. The end credits however, have always just listed her as Maxine. In today's February 18 credits, she is listed as Maxine Landis. Let's see if someone mentions her last name of Landis this week when we see Maxine!

Here's the video of Maxine Thomas: (This board doesn't seem to start the video at the right spot, so if you need to, please move it to the 6:40 mark)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VThTsV68wAo&feature=player_detailpage#t=400s

• Members

I remember when i realized Philips brother Bo was with Philips sister Billie, lol.

I am still let down the show didnt feature the jen/billie/kristen friendship.

They have never been shown this much together, but they have always mentioned eachother and its been one of those more off screen relationships more than less. he has never had a relationship with hope tho. i think lucas was in africa w/ jen and bill at one point too.

• Members

I'm delighted it looks like Rafe and Kate will have a longer relationship! The writing was so good last week to establish the reason for their connection, I felt it would have been a waste to just make it a one-night stand. I'm glad there were no recriminations between them when their urging Nick not to marry Gabi until after the wedding didn't work. It seems they still have that "united front."

Lauren Koslow and Kate still really have "it." I honestly don't see why some people on other boards are super grossed out by the age difference. If you didn't tell me the actress was 59, I wouldn't be able to tell, and it seems this is not the only younger man Kate has been involved with anyway. Rafe is not that young anymore either. It seems grosser to me thinking of Kate and the much older, blackmailing Stefano, but she was married to him and they wrote story around that.

I don't think the show is portraying Rafe and Kate as a couple we're not "supposed" to root for or like -- or as one we're "supposed" to like either. They're establishing why two characters would come together and exploring the natural implications of what happens when they do come together, including interaction with other stories. I've seen both positive and negative reaction among fans, and I think that's what Days expected. I like them.

In general, I think Days right now is good about not telling viewers what to think, and letting viewers make up their own minds about most situations. There are shades of gray and complexities. That's what character-based, character-driven writing does. Jennifer lied about the club so the show isn't pushing Daniel/Jennifer only and portraying Jennifer as the pure one and Chloe the mean one. It's not black and white (although I will say they portray Chloe's POV the least out of any character on the show -- I don't feel the reasons for her wanting Daniel back, for her son, because people messed with the paternity and she was wronged out of a relationship with Daniel by the lies of others, as she explained once to Jennifer, are suffiicently foregrounded for Chloe's actions to come across that sympathetically). Even Ann Milbauer has a point though that Jennifer takes off work whenever she feels like it. Daniel, meanwhile, is disliked by someone who viewers have known for a long time and mostly like, Lucas -- so Daniel's "not being able to keep his pants zipped" is acknowledged and he is not shown as a pure hero. EJ/Sami, the rest of the town is not behind, including tentpole characters like Marlena, so both points of view are represented on the show -- pro and anti. Yes, the show does say homophobia is wrong and Will/Sonny have a valid relationship. But on the matter of custody, they don't take sides as strongly. They present the situation and let the viewers think for themselves. For months, Will was even making the argument that it would be "best for the baby" to be raised by Nick and Gabi.

And despite all these gray shades, there is still romance, there are still characters to root for (could be different characters for different viewers), there is still family and community. The tone of the show is still positive and optimistic, not dark.

As for Monday's episode --

Overall the show was good enough Monday. I'm still hooked and still entertained.

Lucas is so angry at the people who have wronged him, LOL. I can't believe he told such a big lie to Daniel about Jennifer not wanting to see Daniel ever again. Wow! I both hope and don't hope that there are two weeks of Jennifer and Daniel missing each other trying to talk to each other. That'd be classic soap but it's also frustrating.

I wonder what Lucas was picking up from the house. Could it be something related to Will shooting EJ? Did he hide something there back in the day?

I had somehow managed to see a spoiler that Daniel would invite Chloe to move in (although I avoid spoilers), and I was dreading that. It turned out to make sense though! Victor was manipulated into throwing Chloe out, and then the twist of Daniel getting his own hotel room for two weeks - genius. I want to see Chloe's face when he tells her he won't be there with her. I was moved by Maggie's plea to Victor. I hope Victor will reconsider and nip Chloe's plan off at the bud.

Nicole isn't "propping up" Daniel and Jennifer. She did come to a decision last week that Daniel would be happier with Jennifer than with Chloe, that's why she said her advice last week. So this is continuity for her to follow up on that a bit. But mainly Nicole's interaction with Jennifer was about how Nicole should handle her feelings about Eric (although Jennifer didn't know that). I love the layers in the scene Nicole and Jennifer had.

I am really hoping the show doesn't go there with the prison rape. It's looking increasingly like they might be, but it could be another twist no one has thought of yet ... I would imagine if there was a rape involved, Nick would have told Gabi already since there would be a possibility of STDs.

I wonder what Kristen is going to say. Is she going to break things off with Brady now to spare him future pain, now that she's seen how serious he is and how he wants to get a home together? I can't wait to tune in tomorrow and find out! (Chloe/Jennifer confrontation at the door to Daniel's apartment, yet again, on the other hand, I am less enthused about. But it could surprise me too!)

• Members

I didn't watch regularly but the closest I remember to interaction was in 1997 when Lucas was still pursuing Carrie and she was becoming closer and closer friends with Mike, Mike essentially taking the role Lucas had envisioned for himself.

Archived