DAYS: February 2013 Discussion

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cat and SouthofSoap, glad you enjoyed Monday too!

Tuesday - another good day IMO. I like the irony of Marlena accidentally hurting Brady by making Kristen mad at Marlena and therefore Kristen deciding she needed to go through with her revenge plan again. Usually I like Marlena, but Kristen is the only character who can make me feel that Marlena is smug like Kristen says Marlena is.

I hope this isn't the last time Kristen changes her mind though. I like seeing her compassionate side. I don't want to see her or Brady get hurt. I want them to really be a long-term thing; if they ever break up, I want to make up. I'm so invested in them!

I liked Jennifer yelling at Daniel and then admitting to Abigail she was mad at Chloe and had taken it out on Daniel. It shows she's not an angel and will stand up for herself. I can understand why Daniel stormed out and felt insulted. But I could also see why she did it, and she's still a good person. I'm glad Abigail tried to protect her mom with Daniel too.

I liked Maggie and even Daniel being on to Chloe and telling her so (Daniel in a more indirect way).

Everyone was making digs at EJ, but Nicole's was the most hilarious, especially when she was doing the teenybopper voice OMG no way, haha. I liked Nicole having insight into her character, how she squeezes the people she loves too tightly. Then EJ implying Nicole was a loser - ouch! I marvel at how all these veteran scriptwriters (Tuesday's was Carolyn Culliton) can write dialogue that still feels modern. Maybe I'm just old now too though, I'm in my 30s.

The undercurrent of tension between Hope and Nicole was compelling. I liked that what Hope said about Eric always wanting to help Nicole no matter where Nicole lives got Nicole thinking -- though I hope Nicole's not really leaving town.

Cheap21, not sure what you mean by you feel the role of Nicole Walker has been recast with the Chloe actress.

The cliffhanger was a total W T F shock, in a good way. Usually I like dialogue-based cliffhangers at key points in scenes, because I think that's good writing, but a stunning plot twist like this one is good every now and then too. Whoa.

• Members

I don't mind Kristen dithering back and forth -- showing some sensitivity is good for the character's long-term viability, I think. But I'm rather looking forward to a big Reilly-style reveal of her manipulations. I don't think Brady is the guy who can who can believably help Kristen transform into a better person, anyway. He's a dweeb, a callow naif compared to her worldly sophisticate. I buy the two of them together for the moment because it makes sense that Kristen would be able to so easily manipulate him -- but I'm not sold on the possibility of a real romance as of yet.

You and I have very different ideas on what witches look like.

• Members

Just when I'm about to write Nicole/AZ off, she comes back and gives me a week-and-a-half of GREAT performances. Adriane really is so underrated sometimes. She has total command of her character and just throws the dialogue around in such a naturalistic way. It nearly always feels real with her. I loved her scene with Hope and later Sydney, and EJ yesterday. James Scott totally lost it and started giggling when she did that "OMG, no way" voice in response to EJ and Sami being a couple. He completely lost character for a few seconds.

Also, Eileen and Deidre are solid GOLD together. Good grief, and Maggie reading Chloe like a book? What is going on with this show that I am loving it so much? It is now the first one that I watch.

And yes that cliffhanger. WTF? In a good way. I was not expecting that. It's probably just a dayplayer looking to rob the church, though, and Nicole will stumble in on him holding Eric at gunpoint.

• Members

Not Cheap21 here, but I think he/she means Nicole always is written as playing dirty to snare a man. Chloe has never done that or even had to resort to that - she always has had men courting her (often at the same time). I'm battling to think of a time where she was the unwanted interloper, the way Nicole is generally portrayed. Its a new world for Chloe...

• Members

First time I've seen Abe and his son since I started watching over a month ago. I hope they will be on more.

Overall quite entertained by Wednesday.

Great that Julie got involved and confronted Sami, and Will was backing Gabi up against Sami. Glad Will knew Sami had given in too quickly and rushed over to the pub to stop her from attacking Gabi. Everyone can see that Will and Gabi would work this out great by themselves except for Sami, who is obsessed with Gabi supposedly being evil and manipulative. Also glad Sami said Will was Julie's family too and Julie made the point she wasn't taking Nick's side or anyone's side.

Earlier in the episode, I thought it was good writing that Will noticed the parallel between his assuming Sonny wanted to get back with him and feeling foolish, and Sami assuming EJ was going to propose and feeling foolish. I wish Will had wanted to talk about it a little more though.

Looks like there could be quite a bit of hospital drama the next couple days if Gabi is going there and Eric needs to go there too. Of course Sami thought Gabi was faking it, it's so what Sami might do. The Bradys and the Hortons might all be converging on the hospital. Cameron and Abigail are there right now too. Cameron may not even get a chance to tell Abigail how he feels about the viriginity thing before the medical crises start -- good old soapy dragging out the drama and keeping people waiting and tuning in.

I wonder if Eric will have amnesia. I liked that the cliffhanger wasn't just Eric bleeding to death, but rather Nicole admitting, "I love you," as she tried to save him. That's what the show ended on as the big deal. It's little things like this that reflect the focus of the show on character, rather than plot spectacle.

A little disappointed that the gunman turned out to just be some crazy drug addict robber guy, but it was a means to an end, and the episode was still interesting as a whole. I wish Nicole had given him her necklace though, even if it was her mother's. Not worth losing lives over! I wonder if the cops are going to catch the robber guy too, or if that's it.

Finally had a scene from Chloe's PoV where she confirms to Anne that she wants Daniel back because it's best for her son to be in a stable home rather than because she is desperate for herself. Glad the show is trying to foreground her motviation more so she comes across more three-dimensional and sympathetic.

Thanks SouthOfSoap for explaining what Cheap21 meant! I can see how it would be frustrating for people who know how Chloe has been in the past to see the story she is getting now.

teplin, I understand what you're saying about Kristen and Brady ... Brady doesn't seem dweebish or unsophistcated to me, but I was a bit turned off by his attitude about EJ where he was proud he put EJ in intensive care. I still don't want either of them to get hurt, but that's what the show is making me feel because I'm invested, not because I think it would be the best story for them to be together. I understand why it might make more sense and why it might be good for the show if they are a transitional couple rather than long term. Glad you do like Kristen changing her mind and going back and forth. I do think a big reveal would be satisfying viewing on some level but again I just care so much about these characters to say I want it ... I hope the writers can keep something true to character, fresh, and exciting going no matter what happens.

Glad Daniel and Jennifer made up. I don't know if Daniel will agree to cut off all contact with Chloe. I can see him going either way, and he would be justified either way. There are so many emotional things Days leaves dangling to keep you watching again tomorrow, with continuity from episode to epsidoe. It seems simple but other soaps I watched the last few years didn't do it much anymore. I don't know why those other shows didn't utilize the serial format to their advantage. Days makes it look easy every day right now, but it takes a lot of work to make that happen!

Archived