School shooting in Connecticut

Eric83

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had been wrestling over whether I wanted to even go online and express my feelings in any way, but decided that I wanted to get away from the constant news cycle. This gives me an especially eery feeling because I have family who live in CT, in fact I'm here now at my Mother's (who was a kindergarten teacher in her native country, but not in the U.S.). I had no idea what had happened until I got in this afternoon but I knew something was amiss when I heard the helicopters overhead (yes, I am currently in the same county, Fairfield County but not near the town).

These events grieve me and send a chill up my spine as more details emerge. I have a jumble of emotions, foremost, is my heartsick feelings for the parents of those innocent babies who were victimized, both the deceased as well as the survivors. Also, the adults who valiantly helped and tried to assist all at the school. There is much soul searching that will need to be done. The words can hardly come...

Btw, the local news in CT is saying they're not sure at this point, definitively, the shooter's identity. Apparently the brother is in custody at this time and the local NBC news station is now wavering on which one (or perhaps both) is the shooter.

The media must be more responsible about its reporting. I understand they've even interviewed a few children in the aftermath. Why?? The hospital doctors/administrators at Danbury Hospital have chastised them (media) for repeatedly asking for personal and specific information about the injured victims who were brought in, although they were told that this information couldn't be provided as the hospital's policy.

I agree, though, that I don't want to hear about the shooter(s) anymore but I doubt that'll matter. The media will continue to do as they've always done in these tragedies and repeatedly talk about the perpetrator, trying to plumb the depths of his/their warped mind(s) as if there is anything to be gleaned from a the mind of a madman. It just has the effect of giving these evil people the exposure they probably craved. Every time the media tries to 'profile' one of these perpetrators, I often wonder if it is only encouraging the next unbalanced/sick person to commit another heinous atrocity in the hopes of having the same calamitous result with similar media response.

• Members

The guy is no longer the problem. The issue is the problem. And the Congress will need to stand with the President on it. Enough bullshit excuses. You don't see fuckers pulling this [!@#$%^&*] off with a set of commemorative soap opera plates.

• Members

After we take the guns, what do we do with the mentally unhealthy? This guy could have easily strapped on explosives and taken out more than 30 people. There so much more going on here than the need for gun control (this wasn't a shoot out between young people), and I'm hoping people get that. This guy didn't wake up today and say "I'm gonna kill my parents and a whole bunch of kids" for no reason.

The mentally ill need better care, and if most parents were not embarrassed about it, we might be able to avoid some of this carnage.

• Members

And just how long does it take for him to learn how to make a fuckin' bomb versus grabbing Uncle Joe or his best friend's gun out of the broom closet?

Everything else available takes more work, more ability and has less reward versus risk and labor. These guns make it easier than anything. [!@#$%^&*] that excuse, it's bullshit and everyone knows it.

And you're right, it was not a shootout. It was one !@#$%^&*] with a gun spraying a room full of kindergarten age children and taking out 28 people. You can't do that with a shiv unless you are [!@#$%^&*] Liam Neeson in Taken. And a homemade bomb takes work and is iffy at best. An Oklahoma City is few and far between.

• Members

The gun AND the shooter are the problem. They go hand in hand because the weapon accelerates the process and makes it far more successful. You tell me: If you're a crazy psycho ready to kill your mom ASAP, is your first choice going to be an elaborately made homemade explosive which may or may not work, or your buddy's gun?

Archived