School shooting in Connecticut

Eric83

• Members

A lot of things contribute to these situations. We should look at ALL of them. Better healthcare for the mentally ill, domestic violence (it sounds like this may have been a family situation writ large), the media glorification of murderers, etc.... All of these things should be examined. But only when the conversation turns to guns are we not allowed to even discuss making changes to public policy. No matter how many times this happens over and over and over again we aren't allowed to make the mere whisper that we should do something common-sense like reauthorizing the assault weapons ban or closing the gun show loophole. No matter how many bloodbaths we get every month we aren't even allowed to put the subject on the table. That's not the case with anything else.

It's time to put guns on the [!@#$%^&*] table.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Perhaps, but if nothing else, longer and stricter waiting periods allow more opportunities for outside intervention in matters such as these. You can't tell me he wasn't giving warning signs before today, or that everyone around him was unaware that something about him was "off" in the days and weeks leading up to this tragedy.

• Members

I don't know the extent of what his mental health was - has anything leaked as yet?

While I agree you have to be mentally disturbed to pull something like this, I would like to know if there were any sings or history with him. Even then, I still find it hard to muster any sympathy for him - at the end of the day multiple children who will never get the chance to fully live their lives were shot dead and he's responsible. Are they not the victims?

• Members

But which "he"??

There appears to be much confusion over the shooters identity. Who can even say what the history is at this time when they haven't apparently sorted out the identity of the shooter? The one being broadcast as the perpetrator is in custody, the younger one is dead and is now being said to be the actual shooter. Details appear to remain sketchy.

On a slightly tangential note, I agree with those who think we need a 2 pronged approach. The mental healthcare standard in this country is obviously inadequate, and the stigma, I think, contributes to this failure. And yes, I have believed that we do need much firmer gun controls. Why does anyone need such ready access to a high powered weapon?

• Members

There's big money to be made on paranoia. That's what some gun groups run on. There is a paranoia that people need the deadliest ammo, that even things like cop-killer bullets are necessary.

The paranoia is why I no longer believe gun control will make a difference. I think this will just go underground.

I can't keep up with the details either (I thought the father was killed, then read that it was a brother), I was just going on the early info.

• Members

Yes, he's responsible. However, it would be wrong of us to demonize the shooter, write him off as a monster unworthy of anyone's sympathy or compassion, and then leave it at that. Obviously, some dark, emotional, and ultimately uncontrollable forces pushed him to do what most never would dream of under "normal" circumstances. In his own, sad way, then, I see him as much of a victim in all this as the schoolchildren who became the unfortunate targets of his struggle.

If soap operas teach us anything, it's that we need to understand the victimizer as well as the victim. Otherwise, we shut ourselves off completely to the human condition.

Archived