Worst start for a couple

• Members

Some soaps like to have couples "meet cute." Others like to have big angst and conflict to prepare viewers for a couple. Some blatantly have other characters say THIS IS YOUR SOULMATE and desperately pretend these characters never had lives or dreams before meeting each other.

Which first meeting/first scene for a couple bothered you most?

For me, it would probably be Stefan shooting Katherine on GH. I thought it was kind of unintentionally hilarious, and the followup - his reading her poetry in the hospital, or whatever, as she began to pine for him - was cloying.

I've seen TV relationships that start with one person stabbing the other in the chest and somehow they still managed to be more romantic than this.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can I include primetime?

Cos I'm in the process of watching Season 9 of DALLAS (the dream season) and Jack and Jenna looked at each other on episode 4 and then on episode 6 smiled widely at each other and had lunch and then Ray was talking about how everyone knows Jack and Jenna are a possible item. Like, just add water and voila! Couple. Barf.

• Members

I'm surprised that especially you didn't mention any rape victim falling for her attacker

The Adam/Sharon stuff was awful on Y&R. He did the unthinkable to her and I don't see how they could ever be a viable couple yet the show keeps pushing them as such

• Members

If Maria ever actually planned to pair up Sharon/Adam back when he was stealing her baby and passing it off as another woman's, then that is a hell of a bad way to start a couple.

But I presume she didn't think that far ahead. Or maybe this was Hogan's story?

• Members

The only "couple" I remember starting that way was Jessica and Ford, and I decided not to count them at all, since the show hemmed and hawed and finally killed him.

If I'm forgetting someone else, I blocked it out.

(I don't count Johnny and Comedy Connie as a couple either)

• Members

The show usually didn't make Marty and Howarth's Todd a couple (even if Howarth had to leave the show to stop this). Since Frodd was supposed to be a new character, I guess you can count that.

Luke and Laura, sure, they'd go on the list.

• Members

Trifling Theresa and Namby-Pamby Ethan from Passions owns this thread.

What sets them apart from the rest of the horrible couples that I've had to endure is the fact that JER expected me to see that stalker as the rootable heroine of the show, while the passive-aggressive jackass object of her obsession was supposed to be the prize that we were all supposed to swoon over on her behalf.

For some reason, viewers were supposed to find it romantic that this chick was plotting since she was old enough to recite her ABCs to snag this rich dude because of "fate" - never mind the fact that he was in a long-term relationship with a perfectly lovely woman. We were supposed to be overjoyed when he 'finally' returned her feelings, even if it was at the expense of his girlfriend's feelings that he suddenly had zero concern for once that cow-eyed heifer batted her eyes his way.

What defines them as the ultimate worst start for a couple (as well as one of the top-10 worst couples in soapdom) is the fact that this was supposed to be the A-list couple for this soap.

Archived