Your acceptance of recasts

• Members

Natalie Zea and Liza Huber were both great as Gwen on Passions. I really liked them both. I liked Natalie instantly even though I couldn't have thought of anyone but Liza in the role.

Passions did have some crappy recasts. Chad was probably THE worst. Charles Divvins had his fans but my god he was bad and I despised Chad afterwards, however, the writing was never flattering with him in the role, no wonder Swaby left. Donn Swaby was so talented. Where the hell is he? Same for Lena Cardwell as Simone. Simone was such a minor character that her recasts never phased me, although Cathy Doe was much much better in the role than Chrystee Pharris as ghetto Simone. Horrible. I never liked Eric Martsolf as Ethan. I loved Travis Schuldt in the role. Ethan became complete cardboard under Martsolf. Many fell for him because he was hot. He was NOT a good actor. However, Schuldt wasn't the greatest to begin with. Not to mention Ryan McPartlin over Dalton James as Hank? That one I never accepted. They were like two different characters. McPartlin was very bad to begin with though I thought he and Natalie Zea had great chemistry. I remember fans buzzing at the time wanting Gwen and Hank to finally hook up. It had been hinted at on and off for a while, even with Dalton James (who, IMO, was so unfairly recast! I still don't know why) in the role. I have to say, it blew in September 2002 when both Schuldt and Swaby left. Ethan and Chad had a great friendship. I think Passions suffered from all of the recasts looking back on it and once Josh Ryan Evans passed, I truly believe JER gave up and just wrote garbage for the next 6 years. Being as outlandish as possible. He always stuck to a plan and the latter Passions compared to early Passions. Way too different and crazy.

My answer would be that it depends on the talent of the actor for me and the writing. So much is involved in liking a recast. Unfortunately, not having watched the soaps regularly back in the 70s and early to mid 80s (I wasn't around!), I can't add a whole lot. I mean, I'm aware of past recasts, etc. but not having lived through them ...

I thought Danica Stewart was just horrible in general. As Maxie on GH and hooker Jessica on Passions. I have to say that another recast I took to quickly was Deanna Wright as Kay. Wonderful recast. It sucked when she left. I loved both her and Taylor Anne Mountz (who should still be in soaps!). Mary Elizabeth Winstead was good as Jessica. I did like Jade Harlow in the role though. Passions started off with some decent (though NOT good actors, I will admit to that) younger actors and their characters later suffered due to really bad recasts. Not to mention the terrible Miguel recasts. Man, Passions had far more recasts than I even realized looking back on it. DAMN.

For DAYS fans, to emphasize the recasts, think switching out a lesser acting (much lesser acting than these two!) Melissa Reeves & Matt Ashford with Stephanie Cameron and that blonde hunk I can't even remember his name right now. Not Mark Valley, he was at least a good actor, the other blonde model. Wilder? I dunno. I remember being really pissed when that actor showed up on Melrose Place. He was absolutely atrocious.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never accepted Eric Martsolf as Ethan Crane on Passions. Never accepted the recasts of Simone or Chad either. I think I got used to their presence.

I did however accept Natalie Zea immediately as Gwen, and thought she had better Mother/Daughter chemistry with Andrea Evans.

• Members

The ones I warmed up to immediately:

Anne Heche as Vicky/Marley, AW

Winsor Harmon as Thorne Forrester, B&B

RKK as Bo Brady, DAYS

Julie Pinson as Billie Reed, DAYS

Robin Mattson as Gina Blake, SB

Jed Allan as CC Capwell, SB

Carrington Garland as Kelly Capwell, SB

Gordon Thomson as Mason Capwell, SB

Marie Wilson as Meg Snyder, ATWT

Hunt Block as Craig Montgomery, ATWT

Karen Witter as Tina Lord, OLTL (my FAVE Tina)

John Martin as Bill Horton, DAYS

Noelle Beck as Lily Snyder, ATWT

Mark Collier as Mike Kasnoff, ATWT

Eddie Cibrian as Cole Deschanel, SUN

Carrie Genzel as Skye Chandler, AMC

Robin Matttson as Janet Green, AMC

Matt Ashford as Jack Deveraux, DAYS

Eric Martsolf as Brady Black, DAYS

Maura West as Diane Jenkins, Y&R

The ones it took me a while to warm up to but eventually did:

Drake Hogestyn as Roman Brady, DAYS

Shell Danielson as Laken Lockridge, SB

Joseph Bottoms as Cal Winters, DAYS

Jon Lindstrom as Craig Montgomery, ATWT

Christine Tucci as Amanda Cory, AW

The ones I NEVER warmed up to:

EILEEN DAVIDSON as KELLY CAPWELL, SB

Lauren Koslow as Kate Roberts, DAYS

Jensen Buchanan as Vicky/Marley, AW

Philiece Sampler as Donna Love, AW

Anne Howard as Kimberly Brady, DAYS

Arianna Chase as Kimberly Brady, DAYS

Sandra Nelson as Phyllis Romalotti, Y&R

Josh Taylor as Roman Brady, DAYS

Jamie Luner as Liza Colby, AMC

Austin Peck as Austin Reed, DAYS

Austin Peck as Brad Snyder, ATWT

Terry Lester as Mason Capwell, SB

Marj Dusay as Pamela Capwell Conrad, SB

Jeff Trachta as Thorne Forrester, B&B

Mark Valley as Jack Deveraux, DAYS

Steve Wilder as Jack Deveraux, DAYS

• Members

accepted right away---

Marj Dusay as both Myrna Clegg and Alex S. I think part of it was knowing in both situations the original actress wasn't coming back.

Scotty Bryce coming back as Craig on ATWT---it actually revived my love for the character, even though he was still acting as douchy as Hunt Block's version. Bryce could play !@#$%^&*]-with-a-passing-knowledge-of-what-a-conscience-is better than anyone else.

Rick Hearst for Carl T Evans as A-M Spaulding.

accepted grudgingly---

Scott Holmes as Tom Hughes. Ugh---at least for a couple of years under Doug Marland's writing, he could rise to the occassion in important plots like Margo's rape.

never accepted---

KMH, Block, Peck, Collier (!) and Frank Grillo as Hart on GL. Oh, and the trainwrecks of Lindstrom/Craig, Simms/Mindy and Trachta/Thorne.

• Members

ACCEPTED:

Martha Madison - Belle on Dool (LOVED!)

Julie Pinson - Billie on Dool (LOVED!)

Heather Lindell - Jan Spears on Dool (LOVED!)

Eric Marstolf - Ethan On PSSNS and Brady on Dool

Lindsay Hartley - Arianna on Dool

Lindsay McKeon - Marah on GL

John Martin - Bill on Dool

Marcy Rylan - Lizze on GL and Abby on Y&R

Chad Duell - Michael on GH

Adam Gregory - Thomas on B&B (Reluctantly accepted)

Nancy St Alban - Michelle On GL (This one took awhile)

Brandon Beemer - Shawn-D on Dool (This one took the longest for me to warm up to)

NEVER ACCEPTED

Nicole Forester - Cassie on GL (HATED!)

Bonnie Dennison - Susan/Daisy on GL (Hated mostly of the de-aging of the character instead of the actress)

Jeff Branson - Shayne on GL

Kyle Brandt - Philip on Dool

Tamara Braun - Taylor on Dool

Beverly Todd - Celeste on Dool

Michael Dempsey - Alan Michael on GL

Luke Kleintank - Noah on Y&R

None of the Simones, Jessicas, Fox, Miguel or Chad on PSSNS

Note* For me Austin Peck was Austin Reed and I could never get into Patrick Muldoon during his 2011-2012 stint.

• Members

On the one hand, P.J., I agree with you. But on the other hand, starting with Hunt Block, Craig had gone so far afield from the man he had become (and even, IMO, the man he was originally), I feel as if Bryce, as good as he was in his brief return, was fighting an uphill, losing battle, both with the audience, and with the higher-ups as well.

Meh. The more I think about it, the more I think DAYS would be wise to hire a more age-appropriate actor for Bill Horton. (Same goes for Laura, and yes, for Mike as well.)

• Members

It took me a while to get used to Anne Heche as Vicky on AW but by the time she left she WAS Vicky and always will be for me.

I really like Philece Sampler as Renee on Days and was happy when I heard she would come to AW. However, she just never fit the role of Donna. She looked too young (in my opinion) to be a mother of twins and Peter's older sister.

I was a big fan of Amy Carlson and Tim Gibbs as Josie and Gary on AW. Even though Amy was a recast herself she will always be Josie to me. I did, however, warm up to Nadine Stenovich very, very quickly when she took over. She played the part well and it didn't hurt that she looked so much like Amy.

It took me at least a year or so to accept Judi Evans as Paulina after Cali Timmins. The difference was jarring! It didn't help that the reveal of Paulina having shot Jake hadn't finished yet before the switch midstream.

• Members

Damn now that I think about it I didn't realize how many recasts were on Passions and how many I took to and didn't take to. Between the writing and acting I couldn't stand the last Miguel. Miguel was always as dumb as a rock, that started with Jesse Metcalfe who is not a good actor. I preferred Adrian Bellani in the role. Blair Redford was so wrong with the smug yelling all the time and he didn't feel like a member of the family. I didn't hate the second Paloma I just didn't give a damn about her.

• Members

snapback.pngKhan, on 13 November 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

On the one hand, P.J., I agree with you. But on the other hand, starting with Hunt Block, Craig had gone so far afield from the man he had become (and even, IMO, the man he was originally), I feel as if Bryce, as good as he was in his brief return, was fighting an uphill, losing battle, both with the audience, and with the higher-ups as well.

IA---I never bought the "this is who Craig was originally" argument when Block started. Craig was an amoral SOB---he was never a sociopath, which is all Block/Sheffer/Goutman wanted/required/wrote the character as.

My inner squee!! simply overruled my common sense when Bryce returned. ;)

Another recast I could never accept---Brenda Epperson as Ashley. Ash went from being a troubled chemist to a dim-witted ad for mousse and other assorted hair products.

• Members

It was the show's opinion as well, since they scuttled the story about Scott being her long-lost son (tripled to Vicky and Marley).

The miscasting was just terrible. If I hadn't seen a little of her at DAYS since seeing her on AW I would think Sampler had zero acting ability and was just hired because she knew someone. AW's stunt casting was a mess in that decade.

• Members

Did they explain why Craig had done such an about-face after he had evolved so much as a husband, father and all-around human being? No. At least, not to my satisfaction. And that, IMO, just made the regression so much more whiplash-inducing.

Archived