Lifetime, LMN, and Hallmark

Wales2004

• Members

I liked the movie and I thought Sherri Shepard did good in the movie. I think they used younger people in the beginning of the movie because the mother was a teen and the father was early 20s when it happened. It was hard to buy Keke as a 23 year old mother of a 6 year old though. And then watching Behind the Headlines made me not feel very sorry for Carlina at all and Ann's family seemed to care elss that she kidnapped an infant. Also got the impression that Carlina is a little money hungry.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am so amazed that Lifetime is actually showing Disappearing Acts during a time slot when people are awake to see it. The couple of times I've seen it previously scheduled was 2 or 3 a,m,

Maybe I will watch some of it again when it shows up on LMN's True Movie Thursday or whenever and see whether I feel any differently. The movie made her really look money hungry because she made plans for the money then seemed crushed to find out it was gone and then she basically took off.

We seem to have gotten the same impression from the real Carlina. It almost seemed as if she only tried to find her parents out of curiosity and not because she wanted to know them. She was pretty content to remain with the family she'd known all her life so did she just think she'd get some money from her parents to share with all of them? She didn't even come across as if anything had even been taken from her. I cannot even begin to imagine how that sort of news would affect me but I know that I would at least want to give my parents a chance.

• Members

The Love of Her Life is that one of those Cynthia Preston revenge movies?

It seems like ABC Family used to make some decent original movies. Once again, I have to say that it's too bad that Lucky 7 is the only non-holiday movie that I've seen again. I would love to see This Time Around again and I forgot that Gina Tognoni was in that movie.

Has anyone seen the Patricia Cornwelll adaptations with Andie MacDowell? If so, what do you think of the character she plays and/or her performance?

• Members

Do the ABC Afterschool/CBS Schoolbreak Specials fit under this category?

If so, then these moments with Helen Hunt and Tricia Cast in 1982's "Desperate Lives" certainly deserve mention here. I can only imagine what the rest of the special is like after watching this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKH84O8Z6Y

Also: This wasn't originally on the Sexy Smoking Channel, either (which...BARF. Moving on...).

• Members

Re: "Abducted: The Carlina White Story"

I'm sorry, but I really get the strong impression that this movie wanted to paint Mr. and Mrs. White as the villains or heavies in this piece, and that Ann Pedway is just an eccentric woman who likes to do crazy things sometimes...like steal another woman's child. And that aunt -- oh my God. Not only could I not understand anyone whose reaction to the idea that their sister had kidnapped a baby to raise as her own was lukewarm at best, but bitch had a lot of nerve to suggest to Carlina/Nedra that she remember who she was, and that she stick by Ann and help her with her defense because she was "family." True, she later told C/N she had to decide for herself where to go from here, but I feel as if Elizabeth Hunter, who wrote the teleplay, tacked on that conversation in order to redeem a character whose opinions and viewpoints in all this were otherwise reprehensible.

• Members

Frankly, I tend to think Ann and her sister were nothing more than ghetto trash, and C/N basically followed in their footsteps.

Moreover, "The Girl on the Milk Carton," starring Kellie Martin, did a much better job handling all the themes in C/N's basic story -- and that movie was based on a freaking YA novel!

• Members

OMG! Is it ever? LOL! Whenever it is on TV, regardless of channel, Mama Khan and I tune in (if we're together at that time, and I'm not out-of-town somewheres) and eat that crazy [!@#$%^&*] up like it's ice cream.

That movie, in particular, is begging to be copied by a soap looking for a summer-long "Teens on the Run" story.

• Members

I didn't see all of the Carlina movie but I looked up the story and it looks like Carlina is back to using Nedra and doesn't have contact with her biological parents anymore. They say its not about money but as soon as Nedra found out that the settlement money was pretty much gone she was out. Looks like "nurture" won out.

My fav Kellie Martin Lifetime movie was the "A Friend to Die For" also known as "Death of a Cheerleader where Martin's character kills Tori Spelling's character based on a true story.

• Members

Since Lifetime's being airing those Behind the Headlines, I've learned how much truth is in some of their "true" movies. The one thing I forgot about when I commented on the Carlina White movie is how they left out the fact that Ann had a son. They also gave the impression that the sister was the only family member around throughout Carlina's life, when apparently she spent a lot of time with Ann's mother. They were intentionally ambiguous in the movie about why she didn't want to get to know her parents which was unnecessary. If they were so concerned about her not coming across as sympathetic then they should not have shown the real Carlina. Besides the money, she seemed to be mad that her parents wanted Ann punished because she didn't want Ann's son to be without his mother. It might have made more sense to me if Ann didn't seem unhinged and as if she had a bad drug habit. She wasn't depicted as a really good mother .

I feel sorry for her parents because they have the comfort of knowing she's alive but it still must be terribly painful to have her reject them in favor of a criminal who stole her from them.

• Members

I still find it awful that she went through any trouble at all to find out who her parents were. It didn't seem like the information was going to make one bit of difference to her since she was satisfied with the entire family. She didn't seem any more bothered by the knowledge she was kidnapped than any of the Pedways. You would think that with her being a mother she would have some compassion for Joy White and what it must have been like for her to have her daughter taken from her. And if Ann was using the rationale that things weren't bad for Joy since she had other children, then what about Ann finally giving birth to a son (and I may be assuming she did because I don't know if they made it clear in the look behind the headlines but I would imagine that she did--I would hope that would have been confirmed)?

• Members

Unfortunately, the movie left that fact out. Ergo, Joy couldn't point that out to Ann during their ridiculous confrontation. But, you're right, Wales: Ann's argument for stealing C/N doesn't wash in light of the fact that she later had a baby of her own. If anything, the birth of her son should've eaten away at Ann's conscience (presuming she had one, and clearly, she doesn't) to the point where she felt compelled to go to Joy before C/N and reveal everything.

Archived