Daytime TV and soap magazine surveys

• Members

A few years there was a thread started by the late SteveFrame's partner which listed some Daytime TV surveys from the '70s. A few other people, including myself, added some surveys.

I'm going to link to the old thread, and use this thread to periodically add some surveys I have which weren't previously posted.

Here is a survey from the August 1989 Daytime TV.

DTV889001.jpg

DTV889002.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love this thread. What great (and often forgotten!) names from the past. Of course, Jacquie Courtney and George Reinholt were the King and Queen of daytime, with Robin Strasser a delight as the thorn in their sides. Maeve McGuire and Donald May were the couple that first made me notice soaps, with their riveting Stephanie Martin Murder Mystery. Of course, Dark Shadows was in a class by itself.

I love the "horse race" aspect of those polls...who's moving ahead, who's falling behind. But there seemed to be a heavy bias there...when ATWT was in the top five shows, there were times when not a single actor or actress from the show made the list , not even in the runners-up! What's up with that? And I had to laugh at the oohing and aahing at the male leads like David O'Brien, George Reinholt, Chris Bernau, Alan Feinstein, etc. If the ladies only knew!

• Members

I used to love going to the grocery store with my Mom so I could flip through Daytime TV and read these polls while she shopped. It was always interesting to me how highly NBC stars rated, even when the shows themselves were Nielsen also-rans.

• Members

Yeah, keep the scans coming WHOEVER has many of em.

Oh yeah, their popularity would flip flop some in those days. They were the 2 most popular actresses for most of the show's runs, even when Robin Wright played Kelly.

Oh, and I'm REALLY happy to see Carrington Garland in the runners up column, not to mention Roscoe Born in the top 10 and John Callahan not far behind. Ah, the days of the Robert/Kelly/Craig triangle...

• Members

Carl, thank you so much for posting these surveys. They are such fun. I'm in progress of moving at the moment, and all my soap magazines and memorabilia are buried in boxes somewhere, but when I get settled and start digging stuff out, I'll see if I have any similar Daytime TV polls to add to the thread. It IS interesting to see the placement of the various stars, and who is above (or below) whom. I remember in the mid 1970s, when Brenda Dickson rose above Trish Stewart, I was both shocked and amused.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived