GH: August 2012 Discussion Thread

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wanted to post how much I have been enjoying GH lately for the most part. I know there is a lot of negativity of Cartini and everything they have done but I also feel that I have to acknowledge that for the most part I have liked a lot of the changes they have implemented. I've been loving the character work they have been cultivating in Lulu, Johnny, Maxie, Patrick, Luke and to a lesser extent Sam and Todd. For the first time in years it feels like GH isn't beholden to mob stories, mob crime and the terrible trio. I love that Carly, Sonny and Jason are damn near peripheral characters now a days. Jason and Sonny have lost their alpha status on this show and now there is room to focus on other stories, even though I thought Heather was a complete plot contrivance I love that Cartini have all but ignored them the last couple of months, it took awhile but they are not key players anymore. Carly is a glorified extra who pops up for token appearances in supporting stories, Jason is even worse off and Sonny at best is a supporting player to Kate's primary story. Who would have thought that this would ever happen?

Yeah there tons of bad stuff too. I hate the NuKristina/Trey romance, I can't stand this ridiculous Kennan/Jerry Jacks story, Shawn and TJ are nonstarters and should just leave, Tracey and Anna are being written poorly and Kate's DID story has been a trainwreck all the way threw that said this is the most watchable the show has been to me in years. Simply because the show is moving away towards mob city. The show is finally progressing, outside of it's centric storyline rut.

• Members

I don't see the character work with most of these people. Patrick vanished for long periods of time and is suddenly on drugs. Sam barely reacts to a dead baby. Johnny kills kids and walks around looking depressed until they finally snuff the character out. Luke is rewritten as the stud of Port Charles, in spite of having zero chemistry with most of the women who degrade themselves for him. Maxie is mostly just marking time. Todd is Carly's BFF for no apparent reason.

It's all plot, no character.

• Members

I disagree, they have completely changed Maxie's character from being a self absored twit to someone who truly cares about her family and truly feels sorry for inadvertently killing her sister. It feels to me like they have completely changed the purpose of Maxie with this redemptive angle and now she seems much different from where she was a year ago. I feel they have been delving into Patrick's storyline pretty well and it's actually more impactful now that they have waited for the dust to settle a bit because of the time difference from when Robin died. Patrick months down the line is still having a hard time believing that his wife is dead and that's more poignant to me then yelling, shouting and endless tears a week or so after the funeral only for him to move on two months later. I like that he is still wrestling with this and that the story has built progressively instead of having a jam packed two weeks and then nothing of substance later on. I don't like the way they are playing Robin's return, but I do like how Patrick is still having problems nearly half a year later with dealing with his dead wife.

As to Johnny I feel they've done a good job with the redemptive angle from him and that he wants to try and make things better even if that is impossible. The hallucinations and grief driven guilt confessions to Connie also seemed very character based and entrenched in what Johnny feels for shooting out the tires of the car. Is he blameless no, but that's the shade of dark needed for grey. Luke has not been written as a stud at all, his hallucination scenes with all the women in his life and also the scenes between him and Lulu were not played that way. I would say the work with Luke has been the first time in awhile that Luke has felt sorry for the way he has treated his family for years. He seems to really want a relationship with Lulu and is sorry for not being there for her. Luke has finally shown some form of regret for his actions instead of just reveling in prostitutes and saying this is who I am. There seems to finally be some referencing that he is sorry that he isn't better and that Lulu and him can have another chance because he is finally ready to be there for her.

As to Todd and Sam they are less defined, but I like what is being done with their characters for the most part. Sam finally has a purpose outside of Jason and is seeing that something is wrong, while Todd plays a pretty good catalyst to keep things moving. Are they the most indepth characters? No but it feels like they have purpose and direction which is more then I have seen in years it feels like. Sam has been aimless for most of her time on the show, her character finally has a focus and vision -- which is find out what is going on with Todd, Heather and her baby.

• Members

Luke has three women obsessing over him. Other than lip service about caring for Lulu, that is his sole purpose on the show.

I don't think Patrick's story is impactful, because we saw no one grieving over Robin. Now suddenly we're supposed to care, and he's an instant drug addict.

Johnny is a rapist and a child killer. They mostly stall time by having him in endless angst, but so much of "Cartini" world is about stalling time. He will be taking hostages soon enough.

I don't believe she cares about her baby. I think the main purpose for Sam is the tedious "triangle" with Jason and the unwashed one. The rest is just a failed ratings stunt.

I apologize for being so glib when you took so much time to write your responses. I won't keep doing that. I'm glad you are enjoying the show.

• Members

What do you want out of her? To cry and lament about her baby all the time? She did just that back in June and people on here were complaining that she grieved for her dead child all the time. Heck there were complaints about the show even giving her baby an offscreen funeral so Sam could do some more grieving.

• Members

Up until the last two weeks or so I would have agreed. I really loved everything from her rescuing Luke on, though, especially the scene with Heather that was cut from the original broadcast (probably due to Colorado, which makes sense IMO).

Of course, the problem is how long it will last. That's the thing about Frank and Ron--everything about the show, a story, even just one character, can swing from wildly good to wildly bad very, very quickly. It's definitely a pattern for them, one that's sometimes rewarding, and often times quite frustrating.

• Members

Neither do I and Lulu is beyond annoying all up in this story she doesn't belong in and she's been extra screechy lately. Todd is nothing but smugness and one liners. Anna became unrecognizable because of Luke. It's so bad I wish she would leave. Johnny went down hill the moment they changed his maternity and paternity for no damn reason and he just keeps getting worse.

Archived