Rank the JFP shows

• Members

It's not like we have anything else to talk about, surely...

JFP was EP at Santa Barbara, then Guiding Light, then Another World, then One Life to Live, then General Hospital, then Hollywood Heights, and now Young & the Restless.

I know most people probably haven't seen all these, but of those you've seen, how would you rank her time on those shows, from best to worst?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She sucked in all of them. They all rank the same...LOL At GL look at the DVD release and the Maureen death episode...the whole show sucks and actors are badly cast...the only good part was Maureen and Ed scenes. GL was a boring awful mess...LOL

• Members

Judging from those dates I think I liked her OLTL and GH the best out of what is represented. I really enjoyed the work she did with Natalie, Jessica, Roxy, Vicki, The Rappaports, Al, and others during that time period. As to her version of GH well there was a lot I didn't like about it towards the end but I have to say I generally enjoyed GH until around 2008/2009 then it began to feel too meanspirited and endlessly bitter but that may have just been a Guza thing.

• Members

Her first two years or so at GL was the best piece of soap she ever produced. She did some amazing things when Curlee/Demorest were still there and had a great say in things.

While Santa Barbra was regarded as being the most creative soap, it never had much consistency from day to day, as most who've worked on the show like to point point.

• Members

Santa Barbara was her best work...those are the years that I enjoyed SB...GUIDING LIGHT was pretty good but she reluctantly brought back Reva. She is infamously known, however, for signing off brutally killing off Frankie on ANOTHER WORLD (although I read that she tried to change it at the last minute, but Margaret DePriest didn't want to)...I liked some of her work on OLTL and GH.

I dread JFP coming to Y&R, but if she brings Drucilla back, I will quickly jump on her bandwagon LOL

• Members

JFP killed off Maureen on GL and Franky on AW and it was budget, to make room for other characters. On SB and GL she believed the writers should have control and gave it to them, but she got burned after giving Curlee and Demorest full authority to write story and breakdowns. Remember, Curlee/Demorest didn't want to use breakdown writers; they kept Watts and Mulcahey as associate headwriters. Then Curlee had to quit for family reasons and JFP decided to write by committee. It didn't work and she tried to bring in someone from outside soaps who loved GL, Doug Anderson, who was a professor. He failed and she was removed and sent to AW where she hired Harding Lemay and Tom King with Craig Carlson. That was an amazing move. She believed in Lemay's skill and had hired him to coach Doug Anderson on GL. She wanted to contemporize AW but was using some of its veteran writers! I give her alot of credit for that. She tried to turn it into ER meets Knots Landing and it was compelling. Remember, she inherited Carolyn Culliton's mess with Rachel's look alike psycho, Justine. She put Felicia and John and Sharlene front and center, brought in Cass brother. It was awesome for a time then NBC came in and mucked it up by insisting on DePriest as HW....the quality suffered badly.

Even at OLTL she tried to work with Pam Long for nine months. When that didn't work (Pam Long was so overrated and had no talent for any show by GL where she ripped off parts of Gone with the Wind for a few years, along with Great Gatsby and other movies). JFP then brought Lemay and Tom King to OLTL.

I give her a lot of credit for those years in soaps. She tried to work with veterans and nurture writers who really loved the genre like Michael Conforti.

On GH, she worked for many years with Guza and for some it was successful. Guza burned out long before he was fired and Frons insistance on turning it into daytime Sopranos were key factors in its failure.

Y&R is her last shot at daytime success; if she blows it she will go down with a bad rap. She's motivated to succeed...Rauch did his best work as EP of Y&R. Let's give her a chance.

Josh Griffith has another opportunity to class it up too...I have some hope he can help the show but ultimately, Sony and CBS are in charge and they are just like the rest of the corporate suits; they want cheap, titilating tv with lots of T&A and no substance. The show will probably be dumbed down further in the name of ratings.

MAB gave Kathryn a plot in the beginning; she kept many of the vets front and center and while she did a huge number of stupid stories, it could have been a lot worse. Look at DOOL. It's so bad and will never recover. At least Y&R has the budget, some stellar acting, amazing production values and over 4million viewers...

Archived