Rank the JFP shows

• Members

Santa Barbara was a bit before my time so I didn't see it. But I have seen her work on the other shows, so . . .

1. Guiding Light--Even though she did kill off Maureen and let Beverly McKinsey leave, GL from 91-95 was HEAVEN. I'm sorry but no other soap can match that time period for me. Yeah, I was a child but I'd rush to see Roger Thorpe scheme, Gilly & Hamp along with Kat & David, Bridgette, Vanessa, and so on. She did have BLUNDERS with that Tangie character and Joe Lando being on the show -- oh and the Mindy recasts (b/c I loved Kim Simms versions) but the show was must see. But I tend to give more credit to Nancy Curlee (my idol) for that time period. *sigh* How I wish that woman would come back to daytime and fix Y&R b/c I think SHE could do it.

2. Another World--I had just started watching on my own around 94 so I was still new but I instantly fell in love with Ryan and Vicky. Why she killed Ryan (or Frankie), it boggles my mind; however, for me (at that time) the show wasn't bad--at least wasn't as bad as it would turn out to be after she left. But I also give blame to Margaret DePriest b/c I read somewhere that JFP wanted not kill Frankie in the 9th hour, yet MDP still wanted too so that Cass could go back to his rouge ways.

3. One Life--Again I started watching some when JFP started so I wasn't as connected with the characters like I was with the GL characters but I did enjoy Blair v. Skye and Tea & Todd. That was a bright spot in that show for me. However, I did not care for the Rappaports (other than Jenn and Lindsay), I hated Bo and Nora splitting, I hated Drew being killed off (and wasn't he made a bit psycho too???), and Viki and Ben were are bore. Oh and Mel being killed off thus Robin Strasser leaving sucked too.

4. General Hospital--I blame JFP but I blame Guza more. I realized overtime that Jill was more of figurehead at GH as Guza had more power than she did, and it didn't help that Fronzie was pulling strings too.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Despite controversy, I think she continues to get employed because she can efficiently carry out mandates from the networks/production company's. It's the only reason she's been continuously employed in daytime as an EP for almost 30 years, while so many others have dropped off the radar.

Also, in a medium dominated by male execs and male writers, she managed to persevere.

• Members

am i the only one who loved phelps and long's work together on OLTL?? i thought they worked great together and complimented eachother well and was highly dissapointed when long was fired! although this is coming from one of longs biggest fans!

• Members

I think JFP was just playing hardball. I think JFP also assumed - very incorrectly - that Mindy was an easy part to cast, as she saw Alex and Mindy as nothing more than foils for Nick. What happened was that the terrible Mindy recasts and the mediocre Alex recast just pointed out how badly out of place Nick was on the show, and he was never very popular.

The real life relationship between Simms and Vincent Irizarry (they were a couple at the time) may have also had a role, I don't know.

• Members

Once GH switched to HD during her tenure and added in the new hospital set, it became the slickest looking show in daytime for a while (B&B then took that over when eventually switched to HD). Plus no one did those stunts better than Jill.

The lighting on GH also became very cinematic during its switch to HD.

Have you seen GH since she left? The lighting has become an orange mess and the directing quality has decreased rapidly. Valentini totally killed the look the show had.

Archived