Classic Y&R: Nikki's early 1990's Miscarrage Question

• Members

There was a discussion about Jack and Nikki and this storyline was brought up. Does anybody know the exact air date that Nikki fell in the Ranch while pregnant with Jack Abbot's child? I know it happened in 1993 but I need the month and date. I am looking for the episode on youtube for a friend on facebook. I know most of the early 1990's episodes are on youtube (I can't believe how good William J. Bell's production of the show was and kick myself for watching Loving and AMC instead of Y&R.)

If you could post the episode, I'd appreciate it too.

Thanks!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi!, I posted a few episodes from that storyline (I go by Passnum1 on youtube) but yes like Carl said I actually don't have the actual episodes where Nikki falls. I have a couple episodes that show the flashback to that clip like these 2:

(Starts at 2:03)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTl0gSOglng

(Longer flashback, starts at 1:40)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpyuofo-ujk

Those scenes aired on February 10 and 11 1993, i looked it up on the Google archive message boards where you can find old postings about soap operas from the 1990's.

If i ever get a hold of the actual episodes. i will post them :).

• Members

Since we know from history (aka AMC and the Erica abortion fiasco), any bets on a retcon and the baby lived? That Victor stole the baby because it was product of Jack/Nikki. I was always thought it was the biggest mistake Y&R made to miscarry this baby because it would have had the Jack/Victor rivalry continue through someone far more important (Nikki). Not the same with Ashley giving birth to Victor's baby.

• Members

Oh gosh....How should i put this, Yes i agree it would be kind of nice if the baby survived after all, considering the heartbreaking scenes from the May 13, 1993 episode I uploaded where Nikki and Jack make themselves so upset over talking about their baby's death both Peter and Melody break down into tears and probably made the whole studio Cry... but man not with Maria still in charge...

Here's the actual scenes where Nikki and Jack breakdown over their son and Jack decides to go after Victor,( makes me cry everytime) get the kleenex out if you haven't seen them yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-31_zo7uBPI

• Members

Watching these makes me wish that Victor should have fallen off a cliff years ago. The man is abosolutely horrible.

I was reading some of the user comments from these videos and a poster commented that why do folks want Victor and Nikki as a couple when he treats her so badly most of the time, I completely agree. He is just aweful to her the majority of the time. Belittling her and then buying her well fitting dresses from Fenmores does not equal love.

I agree, the Jack and Nikki baby most certainly should not have died at the time. It would have added so many layers. The most important reasons are having a tie between Jack and Nikki and giving Nikki a baby that is non-Newman.

And I agree, infortunately, retconing it with these current writers, they would not be able to pull it off. But OMG, having Jack and Nikki's child come back looking for his real parents after all these years and Victor being the one to orchestrate his dispearance and made it seem like the infant had died which led to Jack and Nikki making the decision to donate whom they thought was their baby's heart would be epic.

• Members

For years I could understand Nikki/Victor, as it was very complex and damaged on both ends. It was fascinating to watch. There is nothing fascinating about the relationship now. To have the writing come out and say, "This is abuse, and that means love," is just wrong. They also used to take long breaks with the characters. There's no reason why the characters have to be reunited and then break up over and over and over. The show just has no idea what to do with them, because the show hates women, and had destroyed Victor.

• Members

I loved Jack and Nikki as a couple back then. I hated Victor for causing the miscarriage. The baby would have been one of the show's most important characters. A rivalry with Jack/Nikki's offspring, Nicholas, and Victoria would have impacted the whole canvas of characters.

• Members

Man, I was the biggest Jack and Nikki fan on the planet back in the day. They were great together and even though the marriage started off kind of rocky and they got married pretty quickly they really fell in love with each other. Nikki wasn't just Jack's longest marriage but prior to Nikki, Jack never even gave the impression that he wanted to be married or have a family. He was "Smilin Jack the Playboy" until her.

They were loving and supportive of each other (and Jack was actually a damn good husband):

And they were also hot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ZaJIVuu54

I don't know why Y&R insists on having Victor and Nikki break up every few months only to reunite a month later, but it's boring and exhausting. The longer breaks were nice and refreshing and Victor has become such a vile character now it's like a victim constantly returning to their abuser and the audience being expected to root for it.

Archived