Classic Y&R: Nikki's early 1990's Miscarrage Question

• Members

I was gonna remain silent but I just can't anymore.

I cannot believe that people are calling for a retcon like this.

Is that what we've come to? That we are asking for one of the worst possible plot ideas to be on the show, just for the sake of some more drama? Drama which would most certainly be horribly written, put the blame on any and all women, make Victor out to be some kind of saint and saddle us with some bad young actor who will scream all the time?

Everybody's going to get all miffed and upset now, but really that's MO... why don't we bring back both kids? Then they can team up and attack Nikki simultaneously.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I get where you are coming from, but I think it's just a matter of us wishing that the show was written in the way Bill Bell wrote the show, and how he would have probably done a retcon like this, without making it contrived or seem like B.S, which is exactly how Maria would do it.

Maria seems to think that every "abandoned" or "trouble" SORAzied legacy child, has to come back with an attitude and HUGE "Chip on their shoulder" and yes that works for some of the children on soaps, but you can only do that one too many times before it gets tiring and boring, and Maria flat out doesn't have a clue about writing for the younger characters.

Yes Maria would bomb this retcon. She would never understand that the good way of telling a story like this is to have their son come to town simply looking for his parents (No hidden agendas or wanting to get back at people) somehow meeting them, and overtime growing more and more attached to him to the point where they start to question perhaps their child didn't die all those years go? And when the truth does come out....GASP... he doesn't all of a sudden hate them like Maria would write it, he embraces them....

The drama that SHOULD unfold from all this is Kyle starting a rivalry with their son which is built up by jealousy of him thinking Jack is more attentive of his other son than Kyle. and knowing how Nikki and Diane hated each other (Cause IMO i feel like the sons should take after their mothers when it comes to this) it would make total sense for them to be at odds. That's how you "honor history"....

• Members

Oh GOD, no they sure don't. I'm so OVER retcons on Y&R with the past 2 regimes, it isn't even funny. I miss the Bill Bell style of doing what he wanted, the way he wanted to do it, and not changing anything in his stories because the fans were upset about it. That's a large part of why his storytelling worked on Y&R- and the word retcon wasn't even in his vocabulary

(is it even a real word anyway?!?). Hell, he'd even leave loose ends and wouldn't go back and tie them up because he no longer wanted to "go there" with the characters. In fact, the whole Lily paternity scandal and reveal was never ever ever supposed to happen and wouldn't have under his watch. I was positively SHOCKED when they went back to that story point (was it Alden or Smith?) because the team at the time had to know that Bell didn't want the one night stand and Lily's paternity to ever be mentioned again.

Oh I'm +1ing the hell out of this post! You hit the nail on the head!

Well said too!!! :D :D :D

• Members

You see, all this sounds great, if you can get past the whole "the baby somehow managed to survive and was whisked away, etc" thing... which I'm not entirely sure I can. Had it been a full term baby, that was kidnapped after its birth and the impression was given to the parents that it was dead (a la KNOTS LANDING, for example) I could stomach it. Years later, baby comes back, what you mentioned happens. Sure, I wouldn't mind watching this. Hell, even a well written story like the one you suggested would be OK, I guess.

But this is the problem: I do not believe, nor will I ever believe, that Bill Bell would ever write a story like this. That is evident in decades of his writing. He would not do this. It is so unlike Y&R that it hurts me that it would be a possibility.

And for the idea to have Victor want to do this is even worse. Victor, whose one redeeming quality has always been his love for his children? Would he cause such pain to Nikki (even if the child is Jack's)? Whom we clearly saw feel guilty and afraid over possibly having caused the miscarriage? In order for that to be done, there would have to be more than one retcon. And, the Victor of yesterday would, again, never do this.

What is sad is that, with Y&R today, it is possible. Unfortunately, even if the story were to be written well, it would still destroy at least Victor (even more than he already is). Of course, it wouldn't be well written, so the child would be a psychopath who blames his mother for "not knowing or sensing" he was alive. *shudders*

Thanks!

That was Smith, I believe. The beginning of the end, of course.

The Lily thing is another example of a useless retcon that should have never happened.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We are talking about Victor of like a decade ago right? Because this hasn't been the case in the last ten years (my loathing of Victor started in the early 00's though).

While I don't know how I would feel about a retcon (this regime shouldn't touch that story at all), I have always wanted Nikki to have a non-Newman child. I kind of hate the fact that she doesn't.

Archived