"Hmmm...you know...maybe that WOULD make a good soap?!"

• Members

Inspired by posts within the "Proposed Soaps Over the Years" thread, I thought it might be neat if everyone listed favorite (or maybe not favorite, but stuff you're aware of) films, books, TV miniseries, etc. that, in your opinion, could be spun successfully into an ongoing soap opera.

Anyone care to start?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe "Roots" because they never did a soap that took place in the past. They did DS, which was supernatural. EON, which was supposed to be the first Perry Mason adaption for Television, was mainly crime drama. Why not have a Soap that took place in the past.

Another good one would be "All quiet on the Western Front" were they could emphasis on families during WWI.

• Members

Definitely Star Wars- which is essentially a "space" opera set a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away... You have good vs evil, cliffhangers, star-crossed lovers, twins separated at birth, long lost fathers, etc.

• Members

Sweet Valley High was suppose to be a teenage soap opera. I would have loved to have seen it as a teenage daytime soap opera. As much as I loved the corny 1990's dramedy, I longed for the Wakefield Twins and their friends to be a daytime soap. I also wondered how the show would have handled graduation? Would they pull a Skins (UK) and bring in new characters or would they have followed the characters to college and real life like in the books? Also, would Jessica and Elizabeth been fraternal or identical twins because identical twin casting would have been hard especially if one of them left. I could see the show being a teen version of Love of Life in a way (since the show focused on sisters.)

• Members

As a matter of fact, I had an idea once for a "Roots" series adaptation. Basically, the series would have had two, ongoing, narrative threads: one set in the present-day; the other set shortly after Kunta Kinte stepped foot on Virginia soil as a captured slave.

• Members

I'd be fine with that, as long as Tyler Perry's appearances as Madea were kept to a bare minimum. Anytime he, or the guy who portrays Brown, shows up, it always ruins the mood for me.

• Members

I'm not so sure the time has passed. With all the "Real Housewives" series being as successful as they are, I think an updated HW might be a good fit right about now.

OMG, I totally want this to happen!

• Members

I always wished Carrie had been adapted into a primetime teen soap. If you take everything that happens up until the prom tragedy, some really, really soapy sh!t was set up. Sue feels bad for picking on Carrie, so she insists her boyfriend Tommy take her to the prom. Tommy is reluctant, but he ends up enjoying the prom with Carrie, so much so that maybe he starts to have feelings for ol' Carrie White, and Carrie has feelings for him, and Sue is left wondering WTF. Then you have Chris, who was quite clearly a slut, and you also have Carrie's mom, who still had unfinished business with Carrie's dad. All the while, the telekinesis would play a small part through the series.

Archived