Arrow: Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I didn't like the "very special episode" of Arrow. It felt really heavy handed and out of place. If the writers want to write about issues, they should really invent a better avenue to do that.  I  did appreciate Wild Dog's backstory though.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I think I officially hate this season. Everything from Felicity's speedbump/cop boyfriend to that little bitch turncoat whose name I can't remember, that awful reporter, and Adrian Chase being some weird blend of therapist/villain for Ollie. 

It's been kind of stunning for me to realize how little the original cast has been on this season. Good luck catching Thea or Lance lately. Even Felicity and Digg seem to have disappeared (ok. More Digg than Felicity, who has a storyline this season.) I know some of that is budget. But it's also ripped the core of the show away. 

They managed to suck all the joy out of my Laurel-free season.

Edited by P.J.

• Members

I'm fine with the darker tone of Arrow (the silliness of Flash and Super girl sometimes drives me nuts), I just don't don't think they've executed it well. I was much more interested in black crime Lord dude at the beginning of the season, who Vigilante is, and the Russian back story than I  about Chase and Talias daddy fueled revenge.

I also find it ironic that an entire crisscrossing universe, the only repeat guest star was Lyla. I miss Tatsu, Nyssa, Donna, malcolm.

• Members

The problem with Arrow's dark side is it often seems very try-hard and like a cheaper version of something others did a long time ago. It reminds me a lot of how DC choked itself out with endless repetitions of misery comics and misery for the sake of sales boosts. I'm not surprised viewers have fled the show.

• Members

I do think TIIC were going for a shock value here, and got caught up in how "brilliant" they thought this story arc was. Maybe in season 1 or 2, you could say Ollie "liked" killing on some level....but after 4 seasons, when we've seen him progress and refrain from killing---it's a BS move. I'm sure they're going to link this back to Felicity's "hacktivism" going completely off the rails, but it seems like an extreme move with little upside.

I think moving away from a "who's trying to blow up Star City this year" and doing a political corruption story line was a good idea. They just didn't trust in it enough.

• Members

I know Barrowman's been spread out in the FlArrowverse---but Malcolm seems to be almost an afterthought on LoT. His appearance  on the Flash musical episode was the best thing about it. Singing "Put a Little Love in Your Heart"---hilarious.

• Members

Can't deny being a Felicity and Olicity fan...but I just think Cassidy's a blah actress, and has been since episode one of Arrow. I'd never seen her in anything else, so whatever cache she has with her fans is a mystery to me. Part of Laurel's boringness was on the writing, which made her a whiny, self-righteous bitch. I don't think the writers had a fully-realized concept of the character, other than she was supposed to be Ollie's OTP. But there is zero about the actress that grabs me. I watched (presumably) less experienced actresses Holland, Bett-Rickards and Lotz bring something to their characters.

• Members

My biggest problem with Arrow, and why I stopped watching (other than the CW having way too many DC shows), was that I didn't care about the new people. By having Diggle, Thea, and Lance all not be on much, I was bored out of my mind. Bringing back Katie Cassidy isn't going to entice me to come back as a regular viewer, as the character's death isn't why I lost interest.

• Members

*sigh*...they can bring back everyone else, but Tommy is still dead as a doornail (yes, I know, Colin's on NBC...but still, they managed to give other central characters multi-contracts and use them around the 'verse....)

I agree---the shift to the newbies was too much, too soon.

• 3 weeks later...