Arrow: Discussion Thread

• Members

One episode until I'm done with Season 1. Overall, I am pleased with the show for what it is.

My interest in Stephen Amell lessens as the season goes on. He really isn't that good but at least he's got the looks.

I was glad that Tommy didn't do the stereotypical thing and turn evil because of losing Laurel to Oliver or whatever and surprised that he remained nice for so long. But it now seems they're taking him down that path. How far, I don't know, but I kinda like that it happened as a reaction to learning Oliver is the hood and Oliver apologizing to him only to go f-ck Laurel. That assh0le!

Surprisingly, I've been liking Barrowman more and more, when in earlier parts of the season I thought he was complete crap (more than usual).

For the main couple, I'm sort of not detecting any chemistry between Oli and Laurel. That's sad. But Thea and Roy... I like.

Mostly, I'm glad that the show isn't frenetically paced. They actually took the long approach and allowed the various plots to grow/develop throughout the whole season, weaving them in and out. I really dig that. I mean, the Evil Plan to Destroy the Glades has been going on since the beginning of the season and only now it's coming to fruition. You don't often see that in network TV. It's a nice build up to what is hopefully a great climax.

I'm also enjoying the island flashbacks more than I thought I would. We're actually seeing a little bit of how Oliver developed into the Oliver of now (except he didn't forget how to be a douchebag when it comes to women).

Edited by YRBB

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Tommy's death was heartbreaking. I don't care what they would have done with him---I'd still rather have him than Laurel. I don't GAS if she is Black Canary.

EEEEEEEeeeeeee!!! The season finale gave me all sorts of warm feels. I couldn't believe how much they packed in before the first commercial break---on other shows, that would have been the entire season ender itself.

• Members

I thought this finale was the weakest so far. Season one had the earthquake and season 2 had Slade and his army of whatever they were, but this was sort of blah. A poison in the air but we didn't even see them stop the plague, Ray's technology happened between commercial breaks. The Ollie Ras fight was a little anti climactic because this was the maybe third time they've battled this year. It was all okay, just nothing super exciting. I am very happy they fixed the Ray being Atom and not Iron Man problem. As far as comic book easter eggs go, I am going to assume next year we will meet Green Lantern because A) he is going to Coast City the home of Green Lantern, B ) he suddenly is a pilot and Green Lantern is a pilot, and C) on the Flash last night they mentioned how a Ferris pilot went missing--which is just how Green Lantern begins. We shall see.

Barry showing up was cute but it does show an underlying problem in that whenever this gang is in trouble they can just call him to save everything. And there is no way he would decline to save an entire city from death because he has to get back to his own show. That was just a necessary way of getting rid of Barry before he could save the day before the next commercial break. I did like Ollie's cameo on Flash and it was sort of odd how it was Ollie and not Barry who had the big fight with Reverse Flash. The new Atom show is coming so we shall see how now three shows work together.

Edited by quartermainefan

• Members

Well, before they go all gung-ho crossing over three shows in a shared mythology, they better make sure they've got the schedules bugs worked out. It takes you out of the story a bit when Ray hospitalized and Felicity's realizing she doesn't love him on Arrow, and the next week on Flash they're still lovey-dovey and dispensing relationship advice. Or Ollie jumps from his wedding to Nyssa to come help Barry.

I think we understand that Barry can't drop everything and bail Ollie out all the time, or whenever being really, really fast would help. But when you get into Wells and time travel and all the kinds of implications of that, you'd think Barry might sit down and have a talk with Ollie about that.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Good opening.  The one-two surprises at the end really set up the season.   This might be Lance's last season, and I have to assume Barry was there for Felicity but that could be a fake out.  Not feeling Diggle's anger or his secret keeping.   The biggest let down was the return--again--to the island.  Let it go, show.

• Members

have I mentioned I love the fact they tweek the opening constantly?

My first thought was "they'd better not kill Felicity off, 'cause if they do, I'm gone..."  When I cooled down, I realized it's probably Lyla, who seems to be the most expendable guest-star still around. I guess it could be Lance Sr (because, of course, they wouldn't have the balls to kill off Laurel, who's only purpose seems to be to making me laugh as she continues to get her ass kicked) or even Dig, since Ollie seems to keep losing his guy BFFs. I think Barry's presence was only about amping up the spec it was Felicity.

Maybe it's Nyssa. There is still the little kinda/sorta married bond that might entitle Ollie to go off and kill either Darhk or Malcolm or whoever is behind the death.

Like the premiere much more than Flash's. The fact Lance teamed up with Darhk was a "whoa" moment for realz,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

God, I want to go Slapaho on Laurel every time she opens her mouth. "You don't treat me as an equal, Ollie. You don't love my family the way I love yours." What horseshit, and I wish Ollie would go apeshit on her instead of silently letting her piss all over him. Maybe he doesn't trust her ignorant ass because she keeps on doing stupid [!@#$%^&*] like throwing Sarah's corpse into the Lazurus pit without listening to Malcolm or Nyssa when they warned her not to. Maybe Ollie doesn't "love" her dick-ish family because Lance Sr blames him for the ruination of Starling, like he was a part of the Undertaking instead of working to stop it, or that Laurel pulls out this self-righteous act every time Ollie disagrees with her.

I love Ollie, but it's long past time he went nuclear on both Lances for their hypocritical smug attitudes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

This was even better than last night.  I wish they would do more crossovers, because the characters work so well together.  I really like Hawkman and Hawkgirl (even though I find her non-embracing of her superpast a little dull) and he at least seem earnest and heroic.  I guess now the new show starts in January so there will be one more gathering of heroes of some sort.  This was just a great crossover and the shows managed to integrate everyone perfectly to the point you couldn't tell much difference in who the show was showcasing.   Flash and Sisco got as much attention as Oliver did.   And one extra benefit of these crossovers is it means less Diggle and Laurel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

it feels like a LOT of time has been spent on Arrow and Flash building up to Legends of Tomorrow. If it fails, it won't be because it doesn't have a firm foundation.

I was shocked (a little) by the hail of gunfire at the end....but then again, not so much. Still a good episode, but I think I'm over the Ollie-runs-for-Mayor storyline. It feels really forced to paint Ollie in a "reforming" light.

• 5 weeks later...