Unpopular Opinions - Music Edition

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This looks like a fun thread!

This goes without saying but all Nickelback songs sound the same and while I can admit to enjoying their big hits, there are many more Canadian bands out there that deserve equal success that Nickelback have gotten worldwide. Will never get how they somehow made it big across the border.

Rappers like Shad are extremely underrated (check out his songs like "Good Name" and "Brother Watching") and deserve way more recognition then people like Drake, Eminem, Jay-Z, etc. Of course, hip hop is extremely diverse and can't easily be put into one bag. I prefer Canadian hip hop to American hip hop...the hip hop artists here seem to be more socially conscious than their American counterparts. The really good hip hop artists in the States are mainly underground and not making it big on radio and the Billboards.

I could never get into AC/DC and Rush. The lead singers' voices grate. :(

• Members

Speaking of Canadian artists, their R&B artists deserve a bigger crossover break than what they've been given. Not only should Tamia and Deborah Cox had bigger careers than they've had, but there's absolutely no reason why crossover success should elude Jully Black and Corneille*.

*yes, I'm aware that he isn't Canadian-born, but he is known as a Canadian artist.

• Members

Tommy James and the Shondells songs make my ears bleed. And then that Tiffany cover of "I Think We're Alone Now"...the horror!

I think Andy Gibb's late 70's music was some of the best pop out there.

• Members

My feelings towards Kelly changed after the My December disaster...

She was (and still is) a manufacturer pop act, don't deny it, it works for you girl...

The Breakaway album will always be her highlight as a pop act for me, and she never doubted in that era that she was nothing more than a non-pretentious pop artist.

• Members

I don't think that Jay Kay of Jamiroquai sounds anything like Stevie Wonder. If anything, he reminds me more of the late (and underrated) Dan Hartman.

I love Maroon 5 precisely because they're aware of what they are (a pop band that makes catchy tunes) and embrace it instead of attempting to make themselves out to be more than that.

The fact that Daryl Hall and John Oates have yet to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a crime against humanity. (OK, perhaps I've exaggerated a tad, but I am still at a loss as to how the Red Hot Chili Peppers beat them to the punch).

As much as I appreciated Aaliyah for what she was (a pop-n-B singer who made catchy tunes that set her apart from her peers), I do not believe that she was on the edge of being a superstar. If anything, had she lived, she would've enjoyed a consistent career with loyal fans that wouldn't have necessarily catapulted her to a Janet Jackson level of superstardom.

I enjoy Gwen Stefani's solo music as much as I enjoy No Doubt's, as I don't consider the former to be a comedown from the latter. My issues with her Harajuku bullsh*t aside, she made some catchy tunes.

Despite my loathing of the Wack Eyed Peas (this dating back to the late 90s, as I thought that they were a bootleg version of A Tribe Called Quest), I actually enjoy Wil.I.Am's production with other artists (and I include Fergie's solo effort in this category, as I thought her singles were better than the sh*t that the Wack Eyed Peas ever put out).

• Members

I've never understood all the hate for Phil Collins. I guess it might be because he ruined Genesis, or whatever, but his material with Genesis and on his own in the late 70's and up to the late 80's is pop perfection and fits the decade like a glove.

Archived