Unpopular Opinions - Music Edition

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She was mine too.

I don't have all that much interest in their solo work though.

My favorite Fleetwood Mac era is the Bob Welch era. Bare Trees is my favorite, or close to favorite, album ever.

I love the Stevie/Lindsey stuff but the chill which set into their relationship (and the band as a whole) takes a toll...a lot of their 80's songs are very good, but also very remote.

• Members

While I understand the impact CCR had and I think some of their songs are very powerful (like Fortunate Son), I think John Fogerty's voice sounds like a dental drill, and I hate "Bad Moon on the Rise" and am annoyed by their "Proud Mary."

I can't stand listening to John Cougar Mellencamp. I turn the radio or TV if his voice comes on. I loathe "Hurts So Good" and "Ain't That America," and "Jack and Diane" is so empty and cutesy with the hand-clapping.

• Members

Someone once said that John Mellencamp was the poor man's Bruce Springsteen. (Un)fortunately, I've never been interested enough in either of them to figure out if such a statement were true.

Another UO:

As much as I appreciate the TV One series, Unsung, for providing a platform for the artists that VH1's Behind the Music wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole (even though Unsung has since surpassed Behind the Music in quality), I am not a fan of their increasingly loose interpretation of what an 'unsung' artist/group is. For every criminally underrated talent that is Billy Preston (who peaked in the early-mid 70s), they feature the likes of Gerald Levert - who enjoyed a fruitful R&B career until his death. Either they stick to the definition of 'Unsung' or they ought to change the title to be justify their inclusion of all old-school R&B and hip hop artists.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here are some UOs of mine:

While I admit that I still need to listen to the rest of both albums (damn iTunes cards, I'm young and poor, you know!) I prefer Guns N' Roses' Use Your Illusion I/II albums to Appetite for Destruction. So much so, that my TWoP screen name is UseYourIllusion.

I love ABBA, but I think I love Roxette just a little more.

I love Born in the USA ("My Hometown" in particular makes me tear up--especially now that I'm living away from home and starting my career--UO, that's my fave song from the album, probably, that or "Working on the Highway"), but my favorite song is from his Human Touch album: "I Wish Were Blind." Obscure? Yes, but a GREAT song.

That being said, I prefer John Mellencamp (the "Cougar" was gone forever after 1991--he never wanted it there, anyway) to Springsteen--and no matter how many of you here don't like him, I'll love him and his music forever--he's my Bloomington, Indiana boy! Of course I love him. That, and another UO: Some of his best songs are actually AFTER the album Scarecrow.

I would listen to Southern Rock over a lot of other music without complaint.

I love Duran Duran--the 80s, 93 comeback, 2004 comeback, it doesn't matter--I love them.

Some of Van Halen's best songs are from the Hagar era ("Love Walks In", anyone? "Feels So Good"?), and he deserves a lot of credit for the years he's been with the band.

I will listen to older rock music over most modern music any day, ESPECIALLY rap/R&B/hip hop. For the most part, that stuff's just not my taste of music.

I bought the Brady Bunch Greatest Hits CD when I was 9, and I..um...actually kind of sort of like some of the songs on there. Not in a serious way, but still, they're kind of cheesy and fun (even their version of "American Pie"...well, in an awkward way...that's unfortunately the first version of the song I ever heard...remember, I was a 9 year old obsessed Brady fan at the time).

Okay, now STOP laughing and pointing at me! Please laugh.png .

Archived