Y&R 3 Time Daytime Emmy Winner cast as Heather Stevens

• Members

Eden is a terrible actress, even on AMC. I thought the shock when she kept returning and then when she did Y&R was laughable. She's one of the clear soap stars who are overhyped and will never go anywhere outside of soaps.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My first problem with this is that on paper, Maura got a great character to work with who had history with all the major players on the show. So in doing her research, it would seem to be a pretty solid gig.

Add in the fact that Maura's performances always rose above the writing and she was gelling in the role when she was let go and I don't put the blame on her one bit. I put it squarely where it belongs: on Y&R. You don't hire (arguably) the best actress in the business right now and completely mishandle her with writing and characterization. Hell, not only did they let Maura's fans down, but they let Diane Jenkins fans down. She wasn't written at all like Diane throughout most of her tenure and many Y&R fans looked back fondly on Diane.

Now, our last memory of her is that of a plot point laying in a stream wearing a God-awful polka dot dress.

• Members

***it wasn't polka-dot, it was some horrid green vine with leaves monstrosity. I DGAF if it was DvF, it looked horrid.

The "treatment" is taking a emmy-award winning actress, giving her a badly written, highly divisive recast (practically guaranteeing your "core" audience won't accept her), schlepping said character around like a whore to every boring male in your cast (not that there are any interesting ones...) and then graphically killing her off in less than a year.

Honestly, it seemed like Y&R's TIIC made it their personal mission to write her into a corner and get rid of her as quickly as possible. They trotted out their typical "she was so good we couldn't just quietly write her out" BS, but I doubt anyone believed it.

• Members

She's playing a character 15 years older than her. The whole thing sounded like stunt casting from the moment it was announced. They had no idea what to do with her, they just wanted her.

Maura was excellent from the beginning and fit in PERFECTLY with the cast, the problem is she was playing the wrong character. There was no fixing that. And also, as much screentime as she received, clearly viewers were responding to her despite the crappy writing. True failures like Eden Riegel didn't receive large chunks of airtime because of how bad they were.

• Members

Maura was amazing, end of, and she was treated worse than no-hopers like Yvonne Zima. There was something so nasty and insiduous about the way they treated the character and wrote her off. Nasty and insiduous and misogynistic. We saw her get her brains bashed out in that peep-show film footage how many times? In that terrible dress and those beige pumps? Awful. Sick. I wouldn't be surprised if Maura never returned to Daytime, TBH.

• Members

While I hated the thought of Maura in the thankless role of Grace, at least that wouldn't have hamstrung her character as much in terms of the men available around town. Although I don't think that's ever stopped any other show from at least seeing if a recast had chemistry with their leading men.

As for Morrow---dude can phuck Phick. Nick's about as interesting as moldy bread anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if TIIC had simply came up with the idea of killing off Diane to give Jack Kyle to raise, and didn't want to face the backlash of killing off Donnelly or Walters on-screen.

Archived