GH: Discussion for the Month of April

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Which is why I said that, GH was spared, in part, because of Cartini's involvement in that otherwise comatose soap. The Revolution's failure definitely was another reason why GH was spared (for now).

That said, this show sure wouldn't have been saved if the likes of Guza (or the person that replaced him) had been at the helm. The fact that Cartini's name is attached to this shitshow is why this show is living to see another day.

• Members

The only reason it was spared due to Cartini had nothing to do with crossovers. Show me where they have helped improve performance. Since Ron has taken over GH has now hit .8 twice in the 18 to 49 demo. Something that happened only once before. I will acknowledge Valentini who probably got the budget under control which helped it survive but at the end of the day it was the Revolutions failure.

• Members

The Revolution's failure is the only reason that GH was given a reprieve. GH's demos are horrible, but The Revolution's were worse. You could give Katie's talk show some credit for motivating ABC to give it a slightly better lead in. However, RC and FV get no credit.

• Members

Both factors was what ultimately saved this show. Cartini's brilliant ploy to get rightfully outraged OLTL viewers to watch GH (in spite of the fact that some of these viewers ran away from the latter soap because it sucked sweaty eczema balls) had plenty to do with why this show is lasting longer than it should've.

• Members

The failure of that talk show is one reason out of many, as is Cartini's involvement with this show. The only thing that I'll give Katie credit for is treading lightly in introducing her talk show, as she's been around long enough to know how to play things in her favor so that she isn't unfairly blamed (as the castmembers of both The Chew and The Revolution were) for killing off AMC and OLTL.

When GH finally dies its overdue death, it will be because of the long reign of incompetence that was Guza/JFP/Frons' run. Period.

• Members

Exactly.

Where is the proof that Cartini's involvement helped to save the show? I'm not seeing anything reflected in the ratings.

Message boards are not a good sample of the general viewing audience. OLTL's hardcore fans have not been checking into GH, at least not in significant amounts. Viewership continues to decrease.

Most of the hardcore OLTL fans could probably care less about characters from their canceled soap crossing over for all we know, and so far, that seems to be the case outside of some fans on message boards.

• Members

Funny how when GH vets Tristan Rogers and Emma Samms returned, GH garnered the highest ratings (2.0). When they left, ratings went back down. Hmm. Personally, I think ratings would be higher if they just stuck with bringing back the iconic GH vets and didn't bring on the OLTL characters. Focus the money and storyline on GH characters - not OLTL characters.

• Members

The brilliant ploy that got people to tune in to a show that they otherwise wouldn't given the time of day to.

As for "fangurling" for Cartini, well, it's no different than the I-Hate-OLTLers Kool-Aid that many seem to be drunk off of.

Whatever canvas that would've served the true GH vets like Robert and Holly as they should've been is dead and has been for years before Cartini came along. What's left is a malnourished shadow of what used to be a great soap, so no, I'm not buying the myth that Cartini is the reason why the vets have not been regarded as they should at all.

If this were a great soap that got sidelined by the arrival of characters from another soap, I'd have no problem falling in line with SON groupthink in believing that Cartini ruined this show. Since it isn't and hasn't been since the beginning of the new millennium, I have and will continue to state that fact instead of getting on the Cartini Sucks bandwagon.

Archived