GH: Discussion for the Month of April

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly. We already have someone going around who thinks she might have been raped but how can a girl be sure about a thing like that, so he can't use a faux rape for humor again.

With all of the soaps that have gone to the happy hunting grounds, it's hard to believe there aren't some good soap writers out there who could do much better than this. Switching this loser team to GH to keep from paying them off appears to have been the most expensive option in the long run. Not only does Cartini suck, they're creating a team that puts a layer of suck around them, probably for job security. Say what you will about Guza, he built a good writing team at GH. His loser successors, not so much.

If all Cartini has got is their pets from their previous job and characters from 30 years ago, and no plan for making any of them fit, they're on shaky ground.

Cartini did not ruin GH and I don't and won't blame them for that. However, it has become quite clear that they don't have what it takes to redeem GH and that's what I'm far more concerned about.

• Members

Putting my enjoyment of Cartini aside, I can't say that I agree with the notion that they care about the OLTL characters more than the GH characters. From what I've seen since Cartini have taken over, this show has become more balanced in showcasing a diversity of the on-canvas GH characters than Guza ever had. Could those scenes be longer? Sure, but I'd rather take an episode of seeing Todd, Anna, Johnny, Starr, Liz, McBain, Sam, Alexis, Maxie, Patrick, Matt, Michael, and etc. over an episode that solely consists of the Trifecta of Shittiness.

As for being resentful of GHers coming to Llanview, well, it'd honestly depend on the characters. If the characters chosen were the ones that I tolerated, then I'd have no problem accepting them into the fold. If the characters chosen were those that suck, well, I'd hate them with the fire of a thousand suns.

• Members

I don't see a big difference in balance - most of the stories are still about Jason/Sonny/Carly. I keep forgetting Patrick is still on the show.

But I think that's down to the two of them mostly just going with what seemed obvious about the show (that Sonny and family are the "stars"), instead of the depth.

• Members

Well, it looks like this is where I and the Cartini Sucks brigade part in how we see things, as the latter actually expects something from this show.

I do not and have not since Guza/JFP/Frons made it crystal clear that they would do any and everything in their power to kill this show and could care less (some might say that they took great pleasure in doing so) about viewers like me who tuned in for a great soap. The minute that they destroyed the GH that I knew and loved was the minute that I stopped caring about its legacy or whatever the hell reason some folks are fruitlessly holding on to GH.

I'd left this show last year (for reasons I've stated before on this board) and only returned to watch it (and by watch, I mean catching OLTLer clips on YT until Todd makes his triumphant return next month) to see some of my favorite OLTL characters whose stories were cut short. While I'd certainly choose the resurrection of OLTL over this crap, I will take what crumbs I can get until the OLTL characters leave or GH is finally put out to pasture.

• Members

I don't expect anything out of GH, honestly, but when I continually hear about how brilliant "Cartini" are, how they have saved GH, how they could save daytime, how OLTL was a ratings smash in its last year, how this or that cliche is suddenly brilliant because it's "so Carlivati", I expect more from the TV screen than an unflushed turd.

• Members

It's an opinion. Even you've said that you are only watching for the OLTL characters, and you think the rest of the show is terrible.

I think GH has been awful since somewhere around 1999. But I don't see any big change with "Cartini". They are continuing most of Guza's pet issues, aside from Luke. The only real difference is that now child killing is more of a joke.

Archived