The Madonna Thread

YRBB

• Members

Radio 1 will no longer play her songs as they deem her old and irrelevant.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2953948/Get-goove-Radio-1-bans-Madonna-56-irrelevant-old-teenage-listeners.html

(no idea what a "goove" is...)

She's obviously not at the center of pop music these days, but considering that older artists are increasingly dominating pop music, this seems silly and ageist.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Madonna actually had pretty strong radio airplay until 2003 when she was 44/45. What got her banned from radio here in the US wasn't her age, but due to the fact that her CD American Life was released just as the war against Iraq was starting. She never really regained radio airplay, but in this day and age, you can still have a decent hit without much airplay.

Her problem is that she doesn't promote the right way. She needs to be performing on shows like The Voice, Dancing with the Stars, etc. That will get people to buy her songs.. and increase her chances of getting a top 40 single. Give me all my Luv wasn't a great song, but the performance of it at the Superbowl guaranteed it a top 10 placement on the charts. She didn't perform Girl Gone Wild nor Turn up the radio on tv.. and they didn't chart on the US charts.

I think performing Living for Love on the Grammy's was a good move, but a lot of people who aren't her fans liked the song.. but wished she wasn't wearing what she was wearing. I think she's trying too hard to stay relevant, when she doesn't really have to try..imho

• Members

Madonna's last solo radio hit was Die Another Day which was back in 2002.

I don't think American Life was the nail in the coffin, she could have rebounded from that fairly quickly, but she never properly found momentum with her music and she just ended up collaborating with younger artist in a bid for Top 40 attention. Madonna became too far removed from the demographic that moves the music charts and she never injected herself (back) into the conversation. Confessions On A Dancefloor could have been a bigger album, but it came at the wrong time. Hard Candy and MDNA were garbage releases that cheapen her discography and were never going to be successful no matter what kind of promotional campaign she underwent with them.

Even if Rebel Heart is a work of art and one of her best discs ever, it is going to be hard to reignite interest in an artist who has faded from the public's memory and hasn't had a solid and lasting hit on the airwaves in over a decade.

• Members

Madonna is pushing 60, she's never going to dominate the singles chart in the way she did in the 80's and 90's. Name another person in her age group that's scoring hit singles? She's the only living pop star from her generation that's still has some cultural resonance.

Also, she's pretty much a touring artist at this point (by her own admission). No other woman has been as successful tour-wise as she has in the past decade. She's also a global icon - not many stars have the same international following as she has (even if she's no longer scoring hit single after hit single).

Edited by BetterForgotten

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Finally listening to the tracks from Rebel Heart that have been officially released. Only done "Devil Pray" and "Ghosttown" so far and, my God, what a lovely surprise these two are! Beautiful! If the rest of the album is like this, I'll be happy.

• Members

Hung Up reached #7 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2005.

Since 2000, Madonna has had 6 top 10s on the Billboard Hot 100: Music (her last #1), Don't Tell Me, Die Another Day, Hung Up, 4 Minutes (her last top 5), Give Me All Your Luvin.

• Members

In Europe's biggest music markets (UK and Germany), Madonna's last few singles charted much better.

In the UK, "4 Minutes" was her last #1 and "Celebration" her last Top 10 hit. "Living For Love" peaked at #23.

In Germany, her last #1 was "4 Minutes" as well with "Give It 2 Me", "Celebration" and "Give Me All Your Luvin" reaching the Top 10. "Miles Away" peaked at #11. However, all the singles after "Give Me All Your Luvin" failed to chart, and "Living For Love" only reached a dismal #81.

I think "Living For Love" is her best song since "Hung up" – I didn't like any of the singles from "Hard Candy", and "MDNA" was a major disappointment as well.

Most of the stuff on "Rebel Heart" isn't my taste either. Besides "Living For Love", I only enjoy "Ghosttown" and "Joan of Arc".