DAYS: February Discussion Thread

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved yesterday's episode. The kiss was hot in a "I've been waiting for this forever, I want you now, I'm angry at myself, Tony Robbins Hungry (Family Guy)" kind of way.

The homophobes need to shut up, though their attempts at justifying their hatred is pretty hysterical.

• Members

There will be backlash against anything that is considered different. I have just stopped reading all the hate. You can argue with them until you're blue in the face. You can't change what bigots believe in. The best way to fight them off is to continue to support the gay storyline. Write in to NBC and DAYS and show your support.

And I'd say 98% of the homophobes likely don't even watch DAYS. They just heard about the gay kiss and wanted to get out their agenda.

• Members

I am not sure.I mean I hate to sound like a bigot but I don't know that as a whole soaps today draw audiences that are more socially progressive which is odd considering how many originated. I read comments on facebook and the feedback there is just eye opening. I will never understand how particularly in the past 10-12 years the so called moral majority doesn't peep at the disgraceful depiction of women, the cheering of when women become abuse victims and punching bags for their men but the hint of a gay character instills such outrage. I think Days has been treading very lightly here but it appears they seem to be moving forward. Corday always has a tendancy to listen to who makes the most noise vs doing the right thing so lets hope he doesn't cave in.

• Members

I get the "going out with a bang theory" - it's sort of an act of desperation, but it hasn't work. Every soap cancelled in past five years has featured a big gay storyline - Passions, GL, ATWT, AMC, and OLTL. Interestingly, OLTL's ratings sunk the most during the gay storyline, but when that was scuttled, it gained it audience back (and then some). The reality is that, even though, soaps have a core following by gay men, the vast majority of the audience is 50+ female and the younger group of female demos are looking for the romantic pairing of hetero couples. That's just the way it is. (You don't see networks selling ads on the male demographics for soaps, so we don't count.)

• Members

Um.... no. These soaps having gay stories have nothing to do with them being canceled. And OLTL also had the Rex/Gigi mess going at the same time as the ratings drop so I don't see your point. AMC's story with Bianca goes all the way back to 2000, so trying to correlate these shows being canceled with them having gay stories is completely ridiculous.

• Members

OLTL's ratings actually got worse after they canned the gay story and smeared the two actors involved. They didn't improve for more than 6 months or a year, and I might be wrong, but I don't believe even the show's much hyped ratings of the last year were higher than what they were before the great purge.

• Administrator

In this episode, I had no idea Rafe would find out the truth and that Will would kiss some dude! I was shocked by those two things. I was disppointed that Rafe found out like that - I wanted other people to find out first, like Carrie. I envisioned her finding out and she's the one who tells Rafe and the secret comes out at some party. Also, Rafe finding out the truth had no build up to it - I don't think Rafe was even in the previous episode. I too didn't like Rafe finding out half way in the episode - that should have happened at the end of the episode, or at least show the Rafe-telling-Sami-he-knows-the-truth be the last scene. Then the next episode is all about Sami/Rafe confrontation, then at the end of that episode, have Rafe go to the Dimera Mansion and as EJ opens the door, Rafe decks him, and that's your Friday cliffhanger. Rafe confronting Sami was okay. It had some good scenes like Rafe yelling in Sami's face telling her she slept with someone who tried to destory their lives.

• Administrator

Yeah, Noel was fired around this time 4 months ago and DAYS writes 4 months in advance. It's clear there were issues with Noel and M&D. Now the episode continuation is getting a lot better, stories are on for more than 2 episodes in a row, the tags are better and there seems to be a change in direction for some the stories. Some of the business stuff hasn't been shown much - like the new Basic Black, or the modeling stuff. I don't read spoilers so I don't know if those stories will be coming back or not - I'm hoping not.

Archived