DAYS: February Discussion Thread

• Administrator

I loved today's episode too! I agree that Marlena/Will/Sami was the highlight - the fighting, the crying, the hugging, the back-and-forth, Sami saying to Marlena if she knew what it was like to have a bad mother, then Will saying to Sami "I do."

I also liked the little false tag with Carrie at the beginning when she came in and asked what they were hiding and Austin/Abby covered by saying they were just planning stuff for romantic getaway. Then Austin getting a little protective when Abby was talking to Quinn. Anyone else notice that when Abby said she might start dating someone else and as she walked out the camera followed her to Brady who was already standing there. I wonder if that was some forshadowing.

I really like Ian's dialogue - that high society, masterful english, style of talking. It makes him sound different from everyone else.

I also noticed the breakdown writing of today's episode was a little different. Sometimes the storylines were getting 2 scenes in one act instead of the usual one scene per act.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, I have to disagree. Marlena's never been there for Sami? That's just not true.

Who stood up for Sami after she raped Austin and lied about Will's paternity? MARLENA

Who was there for Sami when Austin hit her with his car? MARLENA

Who was there for Sami when she stood trial for Franco's murder? MARLENA

Who has ALWAYS defended Sami's actions? MARLENA

Who was there for Sami when Roman returned? MARLENA

Who was there for Sami after her Vegas Wedding? MARLENA

As for the Belle/Carrie vs Sami. Well Belle & Carrie didn't rape, change DNA results and blackmail people. And Marlena has always defended Sami's actions by blaming HERSELF. I'm sure seeing John & Marlena was traumatic for Sami, but she's used that to her advantage to guilt her mother for years. It's just a ploy by Sami. Sami has been nothing but a bratty child who uses Marlena's affair to justify all the shitty things she does. She's an adult and needs to grow the hell up.

• Members

I absolutely love the Will/Marlena/Sami dynamic as well but, and I know it keeps being said, Chandler Massey's acting is tiring to watch. He was already teary eyed when Will entered the scene.

Quinn looks weird to me when he's clean shaven. Kinda draggish almost. I liked his scenes w/Abby - I was surprised that Austin was acting jealous of them ;-P.

Victor and Maggie are very boring these days

• Members

I recoiled in horror when they said Taylor's name!

Revulsion aside, I do like that they at least wrote something of an exit for Quinn and bothered to tie it to an established relationship.

The Will/Sami/Marlena scenes were very effective, especially because you could see the push-and-pull of Sami's relationship with her mom. Ultimately, what she wants is to feel wholly, completely accepted and adored by Marlena, but with such strings attached. It's pathological. I also loved Marlena shushing Will. He's acting like a brat (even though it's funny and, in the context of the current story, makes sense for his character) and I like that she isn't condoning his behavior while vilifying Sami. I do agree, though, that his tendency to overdo it was very noticeable. He was actually best -- aside from some of the snarky lines, which were well delivered -- with some of the silent stares at Sami. They said a lot without a need for sobbing and tearing up.

• Members

The character has become so defined by verbally abusing Sami (as Sami was defined by verbally abusing Marlena) that I wonder if the show will ever let him become more nuanced. I hope so, as this story brings out Massey's worst tics. I thought he was drunk for much of these scenes.

• Members

Interesting, but few, examples. In almost all of those cases marlenas "being there" for sami consisted of "you did it again, its your fault, when are you going to stop this" and while all of that is true, its interesting how bad marlena fails as a mother to sami considering shes a therapist. what sami wants and need is simple, her mothers love and support. its something she doesnt get, at least not unconditional. everything with marlena comes with a but. its also interesting you didnt mention the one time marlena was truly selfless when it came to sami, when sami revaled she saw marlena and john. marlena was willing to tell roman to take the burden off sami. it was a great moment between them. and they have had that over the years, great moments. what they have never had is a full blown discussion about their relationship and worked to make it right. i hope thats what this is leading to because the marlena/sami dynamic is amazing and DHall & Sweeney just bring eachother to a place they dont go to with anyone else.

Belle & Carrie also had something Sami didnt, unconditional, limitless love and acceptance from a mother. Lets not act like their making marlenas life as a mother easy doesnt play into the fact that she favors them. they are good little displays of what marlena likes to show the world she is. and marlena blamed herself? sure, in part. but never to the point of actually fixing the relationship and proving the help and support her daughter needs. as for sami, she did gorw up and mature after her mother left down and her life. its only since she came back that sami has started to revert back to her old ways. having marlena and carrie in town brings out how uneasy sami is about herself and thats an aspect i hope to see played up.

overall what makes the sami/marlena dynamic so interesting is that neither is totally at fault or blameless. its equal, marlena in her teenage years never helped or guided her like she should have or got her the help she needed. sami as an adult held onto all of the issues instead of seeking help and moving on. i am surprisingly happy marlena is back because of this story, and the will aspect. its about time marlena was allowed to exist outside of john.

i do stand by the statement though that Marlena would never put Sami above, or even next to John nor Carrie.

Exactly. I agree with all of this.

• Members

Thats just not true. I mean, it is what has been done, but it isnt something that must have been done for them to work. What made them work was the push and pull. Him perusing her, spoiling her, sometimes against her wishes. Him doing bad things and her knowing that but seeing the good guy in there and falling in love with him by watching the way is with his family. Even after they got together they were interesting for the most part until MD came along. The reveal that Victor knew more about Maggie's eggs being used by Daniels parents was good, but its been dropped. With some half way decent writing they can be great again. Same for for Stefano/Kate.

The biggest issue with Maggie/Victor is that they married them way, way to fast. They should still be dating. A possible story could be him wanting to make her his wife and her saying no, ive been a wife for 30+ years, i want to focus on my resturants, and help out the community, and just date you for now and him being uneasy about that and then bringing Ian in he could be seen as a threat to Victor.

• Members

Huh? Did you even watch the show lol? Marlena stood by Sami through all her [!@#$%^&*] and never blamed Sami unless she was directly hurting someone. And of course she'll tell her to stop doing it. She was RAPED A MAN, SWITCHED DNA RESULTS & BLACKMAILED people. She'd be a down right horrible mom if she encouraged that behavior.

Therapist's are human. They're not perfect.

Marlena has always shown love and support for Sami when warrented. Of course she's not going to support her daughter doing something illegal. I honestly don't know why you would expect that. And lets not forget when Sami was on death row. I didn't see Marlena scolding Sami. I remember her singing to her and comforting her.

When did Sami grow up? She hid her pregnancy to EJ, and shot EJ in the head. That sounds like an adult thing to do fo sure.

Did Marlena spend more time with John? Yeah. She could have spent more time with her children. But let's not forget her children are ADULTS. They're not children. There comes a time in your life when your parents get to live their lives and let their children live their lives and LET them make mistakes. Sami's main support system should be her husband. Of course with Sami's history she always finds a way to screw that up.

Archived