DAYS: February Discussion Thread

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd say a lot of JER characters had no IQ during his second stint, but that's just me. lol

I have to confess when I heard Lisa DeCazotte was coming aboard as co-EP I cringed a bit. It was that "Don't turn Days into Passions" mentality coming out in me, yes. But so far it looks like she's worked well with Marlene and Darrell. The pacing seems a bit better, we actually have Friday cliffhangers now after many months of not getting "tune in tomorrow" scenes... now if they can just adjust the stories a bit so we see more characters on a twice a week or three times a week basis everything would be okay. We go so long without seeing some characters it's bound to piss off some people.

As far as the gay kiss, let's just say this: Days isn't owned by Procter and Gamble. And that's a good thing. Even though GL went there with Otalia and ATWT went there with Nuke, I'm fairly sure they had P&G breathing down their necks at every turn. With this show under Sony's oversight, Days will be allowed to push the envelope a bit more.

• Members

Actually, DAYS had a reputation as being quite progressive in the 70s. WIki says, "By the 1970s, critics deemed Days to be the most daring daytime drama, leading the way in using themes other shows of the period would not dare touch, such as artificial insemination and interracial romance." The show even dealt with homosexuality way back then, though much more obliquely: In 1977, Julie's friend Sharon admitted she was bisexual and in love with Julie. The storyline was abruptly dropped and the actors playing Sharon and her husband were summarily dismissed, apparently due to network pressure. A year earlier, Mike Horton feared he was homosexual because he "couldn't" make love to his girlfriend Trish. After pouring his heart out to Linda Anderson, who was in love with the man Mike thought was his father, Linda took Mike to bed and "proved" his heterosexuality.

You're right, however, that DAYS has been pretty conservative for the last 30 years or so.

• Members

They did take risks with those stories - although the backlash probably scared them off for good. Other stories at that time which weren't as progressive were things like Bill raping Laura, yet they were still a star-crossed love story.

• Members

Yes, she thought she'd been raped, and actually she hadn't and she just couldn't face that she had enjoyed sex?

I wonder if Bill Bell wrote the rape-in-the-park story with Chris Stewart on Y&R as some kind of regret over the message of the Susan story (her story also took place in a park).

• Members

Days' biggest obstacle to overcome will be KC himself.

It has, and it works much better than a "im gay, yay, everybody is ok with it lets throw a pride parade in my honor" storyline, IMHO. Plus, they ablance it out with Sonny and a bunch of gay day players, and Marlena trying to help Will accept it. Its not sending a message of gay = bad or anything.

• Members

I think that it would have worked better if one or two people had a mixed reaction to homosexuality (many people do not just say, "It's great to be gay," which is what this story basically says) and this fueled Will's self-loathing. As it is now the story just seems kind of confusing to me, and like they didn't want to take a controversial stand on homosexuality, but did want to come up with a reason for Will to be some type of twink Hulk for 5-6 months.

• Members

the issue with that is no soap today is going to have any character of importance take a stand against homsexuality out of fear the audience would hate them because they know they cant do layers. sad, but true. (tho i do hope for a victor/sami war when/if will/sonny happen, but it wont...)

i think wills self hate works. there are tons of gay people out there full of self hate for little to no reason, and of course a ton who have plenty of reasons as well (family, religion, society, etc).

it would have been interesting to see what the story was supposed to be, without the many, many changed that have taken place over the last year. They did plan this last winter. im surprised it actually finally happened.

• Members

It's the whole "He hates himself because of Sami/EJ! He's the new Sami!" that annoys me. Beyond that, you're right, I don't think there needs to be a reason. I just hate that this is sort of given as a reason. It's too contrived for me.

• Members

i dont think either of those have to do with self hate. seeing sami/ej made him chanel his self hate to hating her, but it isnt working. and he isnt the new sami in the way you make it out to be, as in a carbon copy of her. hes her in the way shes marlena; the situation. if anything, abby is the new sami - complete with her old obsession.

Archived