Jim Romanovich on GH Cancellation

• Members

The Future of GH. I've been reading a lot about whether GH will last past September as well as the possible move to primetime. I've also being listening to many podcasts from those that have shows and reading many of your tweets. This is certainly a trying time for the soon to be 49 year old soap (I was actually born the year GH debuted). I started watching in 1981 when a young James Bond-ish character named Robert Scorpio came on board and completely changed my view of what daytime soaps were. 30 years later Tristan Rogers is one of my best friends. Who knew? But as it turns 49, will it see its 50th? We'll know soon. I think April will be the latest we'll know GH's future. If we hear nothing about September or prime time summer by April, then chances are good GH will stay on daytime through the remainder of 2012 at least. But the writing now is clear. As of today, GH does not have a spot on the fall daytime schedule. The Revolution has the job and it's theirs to lose. With that being said, it just may lose and ABC keeps GH until they find another lifestyle show to replace it. The fact is that GH will go away at some point. Unless they pull in some Y&R numbers, I'd say they're treading water. Eventually those legs will tire. The sadder fact is that ABC has no real interest in daytime soaps anymore. No network is I can assure you. But CBS and NBC do very well internationally with their soaps which carries weight even though they may not participate in those revenues. But they benefit from the increased global value. ABC? GH and OLTL is not even on their radar in foreign sales which is a shame. When I go to MIP I see B&B and DAYS everywhere on the streets of Cannes. GH or OLTL? Absent. Only AMC had foreign sales because ABC licensed the soap to Fremantle (no, not the Idol company. This is the company that distributed Baywatch when it was the world's most popular series). My point is that those shows have monetary value worldwide which does not go unnoticed with the networks. GH and OLTL don't have that support.

As far as GH going primetime, I find it very interesting. It makes me feel good that Paul Lee (ABC prez) is thinking of options to keep that built in audience. Will it translate to primetime? Will devoted viewers of GH in daytime be as devoted in primetime? I hope so. As interesting as this scenario is, it also sets up the inevitable. GH will wrap by August. If they go into summer "telenovela-style", then that means about 70-100 episodes with a beginning, middle...and end. Should this experiment work (and I mean really work), then the best case scenario is that GH will be back in Summer 2013 for another 70-100 episodes.

The bad news is that GH is pushing a boulder uphill. Most get crushed if there's even the littlest slip or stumble. They have lost a spot that they either have to reclaim, i.e. Frank and Ron, or prepare to go balls to the wall in primetime. I think if any show had a shot, GH does. But it's time to stop bitching about it (me included) and get behind it because the creative future is very exciting right now with some faves coming back. It just may do it. But if it doesn't, it's going to go out swinging. But as they swing, they may just get a home run.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/fdpjkj

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with him that it's time to stop bitching and it's time to support the show and the efforts made to save it. I understand everyone's hesitation for a primetime run, but if we keep knocking down every "out there" effort to save a soap, they ARE going to fail. Daytime is dying because the audience doesn't want to accept change and the networks won't change daytime. It's really sad. And frustrating.

• Members

Honestly I don't think viewer complaint makes any difference to them, one way or the other. I don't know if people asking ABC for a primetime run would make a difference either. They seem to have little use for fans and haven't in many years.

• Members

I'd honestly love to hear from someone maybe who's livelihood is not dependent on daytime soaps and get their perspective. This industry has lacked credible criticism for years particularly looking at the ott fawning over peeps likr RC, Guza, and Sheffer. GH is a mob show and to me that kind of tone is way played out but who knows. Perhaps with upgraded acting talent, writing, and primetime like production values it could still have life. The issue to me is that CBS seems to be a network more receptive and geared to shows with a darker tone than ABC. Maybe even a network like A&E.

• Members

I was with him until the last paragraph as I don't see what bad bitching about, or what good "getting behind" a soap has ever really done. And what exactly does "getting behind" mean? SOS-like campaigns, general optimism, or merely watching? I'm not a Nielsen so my watching is irrelevant, but even if I was, I'm not "getting behind" any television show just for the sake of saving it when it does nothing for me or it hasn't done its best to save itself. I think RC and FV are very passionate about what they do and will strive for the best even when I don't agree with their idea of "best". I'm all for creative ideas for the evolution of the genre and playing around with traditional ideas of what is "soap opera", but these writers and producers need to stay on their A games and focus on the nuts and bolts of good storytelling. Otherwise, these ideas amount to little more than stunts and there will be a bunch of disappointing sideways moving before demise..

• Members

This reminds me of when I still see comments from some Y&R fans about how all some Y&R fans wnat to do is bash and why can't they support the show, and so on. How can you support the show? What should be done? Fans put up with ego trips and fawning press and all they get is spit in the face.

• Members

Fact is consumers have been speaking for years with their remotes. Frankly I am tired of all these alleged soap press members yelling at people for not thinking some folks dont find people like Sheffer, Guza, and RC gods gift to the soap world and were all too busy kissing the asses of people like Guza for years not one of them question the destruction he heaved on GH but now we are all supposed to jump on board. And they should concern themselves with those that tuned out and why, not those of us that may bitch up a storm yet still watch at times.

• Members

If I was treated as a partner and my wishes were respected it would be a different story. I don't get why sports fans are allowed to get angry at their favorite teams and not be called disloyal, but some segments of the soap audience and TPTB believe we should just shut up, watch and keep our mouths shut (seen and not be heard.)

Archived