The Carrie Diaries: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

“THE CARRIE DIARIES”

It’s 1984, and life isn’t easy for 16-year-old Carrie Bradshaw. Since their mother passed away, Carrie’s younger sister Dorritt is more rebellious than ever, and their father Tom is overwhelmed with the responsibility of suddenly having to care for two teenage girls on his own. Carrie’s friends – sweet, geeky Mouse, sarcastic and self-assured Maggie and sensitive Walt – make life bearable, but a suburban life in Connecticut isn’t doing much to take her mind off her troubles. And even though the arrival of a sexy new transfer student named Sebastian brings some excitement to Carrie’s world, she is struggling to move on from her grief. So when Tom offers Carrie the chance to intern at a law firm in Manhattan, she leaps at the chance. Carrie’s eyes are opened wide at the glamour and grit of New York City – and when she meets Larissa, the style editor for Interview magazine, she’s inspired by the club culture and unique individuals that make up Larissa’s world. Carrie’s friends and family may have a big place in her heart, but she’s fallen in love for the first time with the most important man in her life – Manhattan.

The series stars AnnaSophia Robb (“Soul Surfer”) as Carrie Bradshaw, Austin Butler (“Switched at Birth,” “Life Unexpected”) as Sebastian Kydd, Ellen Wong (“Scott Pilgrim vs. the World,” “Combat Hospital”) as Mouse; Katie Findlay (“The Killing,” “SGU Stargate Universe”) as Maggie Landers, Stefania Owen (“Running Wilde,” “The Lovely Bones”) as Dorrit Bradshaw, Brendan Dooling (“An Elf’s Story: The Elf on the Shelf”) as Walt Reynolds, Chloe Bridges (“90210”) as Donna LaDonna, Freema Agyeman (“Doctor Who,” “Law & Order: UK”) as Larissa Loughton and Matt Letscher (“Brothers & Sisters,” “Entourage”) as Tom Bradshaw. Based on the novels “The Carrie Diaries” and “Summer and the City” by Candace Bushnell, THE CARRIE DIARIES is from Fake Empire in association with Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Amy B. Harris (“Sex and the City,” “Gossip Girl”), Josh Schwartz (“Hart of Dixie,” “Gossip Girl”), Stephanie Savage (“Hart of Dixie,” “Gossip Girl”), Len Goldstein (“Hart of Dixie”) and Candace Bushnell. Miguel Arteta (“Englightened,” “Cedar Rapids”) directed the pilot, which was written by Harris.

• Members

I wonder how this will work out without the other 3 women. While the show did get a lot of buzz for the fashion and sex, it was the friendship between the four women that made the show for a lot of the fans.

This brand isn't as hot as it once was and audiences will probably groan about another remake/prequel/sequel. Not to mention Schwartz and Savage tend to fizzle out quickly after good starts.

• Members

This sounds as bland as anything else on CW. This is something which should have been done several years ago, if not sooner. I don't know where the story would be for characters who became such unpleasant narcissists. Hey, let's show what Carrie was like before she became unwatchable?

Every Josh Schwartz show is overhyped and underperforms. Does he need another?

• Members

I think this could only work as a movie. How can you sustain a successful tv show around characters we know had absolutely no impact on Carrie's adult life? It'll just end up souring the perception of the original series. And Sex and the City was far too sexy to be connected to any show on the CW. It's sad to see the series end this way since we know there won't be a movie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There have already been two movies and both of them were horrible. ph34r.png

This sounds exactly like something The CW would do though. Melrose Place, 90210, Sex in The City redux, etc. They are just recycling shows from other more popular networks.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

As a huge SATC fan I was very skeptical but I ended up loving it and even cried a few times. The story of the mother dying hit close for me, as I had a friend who's mother (who was like a second mother to me- I can't count the number of days/nights I spent at that house) died VERY unexpectedly while we were in high school.

Archived