2012: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Toups: which headwriter do you think Lisa Seidman is referring to in her blog piece?

“I’m sure you’re a good writer on other shows, Lisa, but just not on this one,” were the painful words the headwriter of the daytime soap I had been writing for told me right before she fired me. Ouch!

I think it's Maria Bell

http://lisaseidman.w...really-hate-me/

• Administrator

I thinks she is. blink.png That is the Co-HW position. I don't understand why Y&R continues to have the 2 co-HW position. I understood it under MAB because she's not a writer and she had double duties, but Griffith is a writer (and tons of experience as HW) and doesn't need to delegate the HW duties.

• Members

Josh Griffith is a terrible HW so I'll welcome a Co-HW who might be able to present more interesting ideas. Unfortunately, this woman probably isn't what Y&R needs, much like Griffin himself. I just can't wait until we flashforward a year and hopefully have a new HW for Y&R. I hope once Griffin officially crashes and burns they finally go back to one of Bill Bell's proteges.

• Members

With all due respect, Chris B, I really do not see this happening. Don't get me wrong: I'd love to see Kay Alden return. Chances are, though, whenever Sony decides to push out JG, they'll hire someone else from "outside" the Bell sphere. No doubt, too, it'll be one of the usual suspects (i.e., Bob Guza, Chuck Pratt, Megan McTavish, etc.).

• Members

Oh I know it's a fantasy, but it's still what I would hope would happen. I think there is a better chance of Bill Bell becoming the HW from the grave than there is for Kay Alden or Jack Smith. I completely agree with you that it'll probably be one of those writers you mentioned. I think Guza is probably the one who has the best chance of taking over logically.

I don't understand what exactly happened, but Y&R more than any soap seems to have a deep distain for anything Bill Bell. They trot his name out when it suits them, but the way his writers were treated makes no sense. And it seems so clear that they aren't welcomed back. I wonder why that is. I bet that once Y&R is on it's death door they might have a good chance of returning, but only after every other option has been given a chance to put in nail in it's coffin. What's happening at Y&R now is similar to other soaps, it just took them longer to get to Y&R. This is like AMC all over again.

• Members

its bc the suits at SONY don't like the fact that Y&R is a success bc of Bill Bell and not them. thats why they got rid of anything that has to do will Bill Bell and put their people in charge hoping to turn around the show when we all know why Y&R was a sucess. A team of Kay Alden, Jack Smith and Ed Scott need to return in order for this show to be anything like it once was until then Y&R will always be a a shell of its former self

• Members

You know, I also want to say that despite how much I enjoy Jill Farren Phelps' work....look at how GH's ratings shot up when she left. The show was in terrible shape for years with her at the helm. Who else was in competition with her for the job? Same with Josh Griffith. His experience as a HW is mostly a failure and his history with Y&R is limited and poorly received. How did they win? I wonder if they knew somebody because I can't imagine their resumes getting them the jobs if there were other candidates.

Archived