Which 20 episodes do you want on Guiding Light release?

Soapsuds

• Members

Kelly's (John Wesley Shipp) confrontation with Nola? If so, then yes!

Still can't believe all those great scenes in that episode were literally improvised by Lisa Brown and Shipp due to writers' strike, apparently with some phone calls where Marland explained to the two actors the crux of the scenes and provided a few key lines.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really, I didnt know that I thought Marland got back just in time as Wilmore or whomever, was going to have Nola marry Kelly? (which I have to say I would have done also, to keep the storyline going and force the wretched Kelly and oogly Morgan to be tortured some more...) I remember watching that in real time and you really couldnt take your eyes off the screen, Brown was SO good in those scenes and JWS actually rose above his pecs to act too.

• Members

Gray Bunny I didn't feel attacked at all. (TM OLTL's Viki)

The Nola/Kelly episode would be a good one, someone sent me that particular episode on DVD.

For me just giving a list without a theme is difficult as some of my favorite scenes carried over more than one episode.

Another potential theme would be younger characters (college age or younger)

The stuff with Kelly et al as Kelly was a doctor (while a younger character I think I would put in another set).

That would be something like Rick/Phillip/Mindy/Beth at prom or in NYC

Something with Lujack or the Gallahads

Harley giving birth to Daisy in the back of the car with help from Dinah

Little Bill trying to become like his dad and he starts drinking (this is something I doubt they would ever pick, but I found it interesting)

Something with Bridget, Kat, etc

Brittany Snow Susan like her and Max (though I can see them using something with Daisy later)

• Members

unsure.png Can't remember the exact place where I first learned about the Nola/Kelly scene as having been improvised. But checking the Youtube clip from that episode just now led to this mention by a Commentator named: "4844521"

"This was one of the first episodes after the wrtiers strike. Lisa Brown said in an interview that she and Shipp got specific notes from Doug Marland without his having written the scene.His notes detailed all the high points of the whole scene and two actors did the rest. They use their own gut instincts and pulled it off. Phenomenal."

Here's the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuFGTlQZRYY

In another Youtube clip "Martha Wins 87 emmy & Nola Kelly--GL Anniversary" someone named "antonzap" commented the same: "The great thing about this GL scene is that it was one of the first taped after the writers strike. Douglas Marland was phoning in dialogue as they were shooting, it was totally on the fly. There will never be another like him. Daytime TV died with him."

• Members

I think we have from mid-October 1979 for GL.

I definitely have my favorites but I approach this from a perspective of what would the most people like. GL changed course so many times it's hard to know sometimes so your input is really valuable. I struggle with the final year. I liked Otalia, Phillip's return and enjoyed most of the show. But when you watch it back compared to even 1979 it looks pretty bad with the shaky cam. I will have to re-watch and see if a single episode stands out so much it overcomes that. But with 30 years to choose from we could go in so many directions.

I have friends that want 1980 and before. Others who want Marland. Others who want Pam Long. Someday all this will be streaming and you'll be able to just pick a season or a batch or episodes and watch. See my music note from the ATWT thread. Hall of Mirrors isn't an option unfortunately due to music. Would love to get all those characters on another great episode that's available though before Roger "dies" and Rita and Eve leave town. Hope everyone's faves will be included when we're ready for this one as much as possible.

• Members

Somewhere I have a disk with a number of 1979 episodes on DVD (that I got bootleg), the quality of the sets looks decent on the television I watched it on though they aired before the autumn dates that are available.

I wish I had episode numbers, but unless it is in the Paley collection already or someone has a script for a particular show usually these numbers aren’t easily available. For example I have a photocopied script from 1997 during Reva’s trial for pushing Annie down the stairs. It is episode 12674 and Reva is on the stand with Ross as the district attorney throwing questions at her. The part where Annie loses it was a few episodes later, but unless I went back to check summaries I would only be able to guesstimate the number that I was mentioning.

With GL, I think there are a lot of eras that were good and some that were bad. Depends on what you like and what one thinks is good. I want to see the Dobsons, Marland, Long, and the early 90s writers (the triumvirates) the most. There should be a mix of all of the good, from different families unless it is a set focused on a certain group of characters. I want this to be a better selection that the clips that were used on the GL montage at the Emmys, which completely skipped certain long time performers to show newer cast members. I have a list of more 20-30 characters and/or actors that need to be included or else I will be extremely disappointed. (Like I said in the ATWT thread, the gap of years with no episodes is why some favorites from years past were missing. Hope we don’t run into that with GL.) If there are any episodes from Peapack, it won’t keep me from buying the disks, but I most likely won’t take the time to watch them again. I most look forward to seeing material that is new to me, extremely memorable (in a good way), or things I haven’t seen in years.

I can see including an Otalia episode solely as that is the most memorable thing that happened at GL in its last two years that involved a performer that wasn’t on GL earlier. (Plus with no judgment, those fans are loud and most likely would complain if there was nothing involving their favorites. I’d do the same if any of the long-term couples on GL get omitted.) There should be at least one episode that includes Phillip from when Grant Aleksander was on the show prior to his 2009 return. So he’d be covered, like just about everyone else in the cast.

I understand what you mean about the Hall of Mirrors (as someone who waited years for them to release Daria on DVD, and they had to replace the majority of the music.) A lot of things from the 80s like the prom and Beth and Lujack at the beach would have these music issues. Even the first day of the blackout has a music issue (Bridget listens to Paradise City as the power goes out…though perhaps that episode already had replacement music like you said they started doing in the 90s.) Obviously later in the week there is real music, as Blake and Ross have sex as U2 plays in the background and the blackout episodes end with a rendition of Round Midnight (no idea on artist).

• Members

I think that was Linda Ronstadt on Round Midnight.

I hadn't thought of it but I guess the Marland years would be covered in music issues, since that was the disco :(

The Dobsons years seemed to have very little music. I wish more of that was available.

• Members

Oh, man....so there's no way to get the episode Josh smashed his car because Bonnie Tyler's Holding Out for a Hero is on the radio? HUGE BUMMER.

Other eppys to include:

Jennifer and Mark Evans' affair comes to light (Mark Pinter & towel...need I say more?)

Lucille Wexler tries to kill Jennifer with a letter opener

Hope and Alan get stranded on a desert island

Phillip advises Rick to save Meredith knowing she's carrying his child and not Rick's.

Phillip confronts Rick after finding out he's the father of Harley's child.

• Members

Hate, hate, hated Peapack...but they could use an episode or two that actually worked with (or despite) the format. For example, the Phillip returns and Coop dies episode. I think the use of a real church really worked (despite the fact that this was a Spaulding wedding and no one was in attendance...never uderstood why the writers didnt write around that and say it was the rehearsal) Not the same episode, and believe me if I never see Justin Deas overacting again it will be a blessing, (not to mention not seeing his snot) but the death of Coop and the Coopers grief (and I HATE the Coopers) couples with the Spauldings and Ricks relief that Phillip is alive..and that great little scene filmed in a real bathroom (which worked for once) where Beth is cleaning the blood off her wedding dress and Phillip gently helps her take the dress off.

Yes but we can live without Daisy sitting by a dirt road in a field, Alan walking around a baseball diamond or any of the other characters just wandering around without homes.

• 1 month later...

Archived