OLTL: Discussion for the week of October 10

• Members

Now that is REALLY saying something. :lol:

I think Heed's remarks are in response to earlier comments made by alexisfan and I re: explanation on Stacy making it out of the frozen lake. Finding no body, and well, this being a soap, I am never surprised when anyone turns up alive. But I did not see those scenes about the boots and footprints or whatever, and I'm assuming alexisfan didn't either.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No I saw them, I guess I just expected a better explanation :lol:

So did David blackmail Kim with the knowledge that she was the real Aubrey Wentworth? He must've since I'm pretty sure "what happened in the Spotted Pony" has something to do with Stacy landing in her current coma and that was after Kim left town.

• Members

The flashback scenes were really poorly directed I thought--I had trouble hearing some of "Stacy's" mumbled lines (maybe FF mumbles more when she plays Stacy? Brave acting choice), and there were all these WTF small moments like when the guy eating ribs asked for his dance, Stacy somehow whispers something in his ear to get rid of him and Kim says "you still got it!" Huh? Was surprised they even mentioned Kish and Sky, though I don't really buy that Stacy would want to see, or care about Sky after all.

• Members

One last gripe about this story--I know on soaps, particularly OLTL recently, people travel in teleportation machines--but the way people kept going between the hospital in Kentucky and Llanview was too much--and why would Kim, after getting the papers, not bring them to Clint first, make sure they're legit, etc--why fly back (I assume she's using the Buchanen jet, or has a lot of money) to the hospital to give a monologue only to have to go back...

• Members

I know there's a fine line between imitating an actress who is no longer on the show (though her image is still being used), and creating your own version of a character, but doppelgangers are a delicious acting opportunity regardless of how trite the s/l device is. I hope FF does more to delineate the characters, particularly when it comes to her scenes with Rex because I think that's when it'll be especially easy to fall back into Gigi-isms (which are probably really Farrah-isms to begin with).

• Members

The problem is it'll probably be, at least at first, her playing "Stacy" pretending to be Gigi, which will be even harder to pull off. No one did this better of course than when David Canary would be Adam pretending to be Stuart--it has to still have an element, subtle, that audiences see, but make sense that the character doesn't.

• Members

Indeed. David Canary will always be the gold (silver? happy.png ) standard when it comes to this. Seriously, I'm not really in the mood for bitching right now, but I can hardly believe how unapologetically uncreative the soaps have been in the past few years with all of these damn doppelganger storylines.

• Members

I guess they're hard to resist--did they exist before the 70s? (Of course often they weren't on screen at the same time, but a reason to bring back a popular actor whose character had died, as someone else--like Kitty/Kelly). And like any of the over the top soap plots, I do believe there still are times it can work, when done right. But like back from the dead stories, etc, in the past two decades (it probably actually really started with daytime getting campier in the 80s, really), they have become so ridiculously overused. Then again, someone on here (sorry, I forget who, but I agreed with the poster), said that more and more RC seems to be writing OLTL as a satire of soaps.

• Members

Oh God no... I just watched. Farah is even worse as Stacy than as Gigi. She really dragged down Amanda Setton so much today. And AS isn't a very good actress to begin with. Was Farah Fath cast as Stacy in an attempt to make us miss Crystal Hunt? Or to make us miss Gigi? Or to prevent JPL from looking TOTALLY absurd? By the way, the Erica Kane line would have been funny if a better actress than Farah Fath had said it.

And why are they bringing back Stacy anyway? Both actresses suck, and Stacy was so hated (rightfully so).

Anyway, Aubrey's insta redemption doesn't make sense either.

Shane was creepy today. I despise Jack and wish he was dead, but the last thing I want to see is another teen murderer.

I loved seeing Tea tell Bo to question Rex. Tea is one of the few people who hates Rex. She NEVER liked him. And I loved how impressed Todd was. I love his scenes with both Blair and Tea. I'm still rooting for Todd/Blair of course.

• Members

Ive said it before and I'll say it again but Aubrey was more itneresting before. Not all shady characters need to be redeeemd and this new good act does nothing for her. Its like Ford for me, who also is dull as dirt with the current writing. She had love to hate potential and I wish the show would own it instead of trying to make her all pure and innocent

Archived