AMC: Tuesday, September 20, 2011

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The characer of JR has never really had any HW's love. Love as in the writer sometimes finding it difficult to throw him under the bus for other characters and the plot. Broderick places a halo over David's head after everything and yet we have poor JR being a homophobic, homicidal, and suicidal mess. Is JR even drinking at this point?

• Members

I am saying this without having watched the episode yet..

What they are doing to JR is a crime. He has never been a "good" guy overall, but they are destroying the character and I fear the Chandler family along with it. Adam is not going to 2.0 and you really can't have a Chandler family anchored by Scott and Colby only. JR doesn't have to have a happy ending for now but some hope would be fine. At least that could save him to for retooling for 2.0.

• Members

I usually stop watching the show when Lorraine Broderick is the Head Writer post-1995, so my last experience with LB's David thing was in early 2010. The shows were pretty much David, David, David then and then she continued it when she came back to almost the last minute despite it being the end of the show on ABC. The David, David, David would be a little more tolerable if she could put aside the way she sees him which is he's always pretty much right even when he's wrong. Despite the gloss job over it, I'm surprised she even did the Zach twist to balance David's ability to outplay God as the savior of mankind.

• Members

It's idiocy and it's leaving a bad taste in viewers mouths when we should be celebrating & cherishing the memory of amc.

I also think it has been written horribly. Exactly what has JR done lately that is so unforgiving & horrible? Yes he has said & done stupid things but overall, especially given JR's history, he hasn't really done anything except telling people he will see them in hell.

If this was preacher Ricky, fine but it's not, it's Adam Chandler & Dixie Cooney's son.

• Members

I'm so done with this show. Like I hate everything about it. I could give a damn about the Kanes, Bianca is unlikable with whatever her name is in the role, I wish I could shoot Zach with a loaded gun and I want middle school entrapped Erica to go off to LA and shoot her egomanic film where she can play herself and show the world how much she just loves herself. I just despise the entire Kane-Montgomery-Slater-Cambius-Lavery clan and everything associated with them along with their demon spawns thrown in for good measure.

I think one of the things I hate so much about the ending of the series is how they threw away the possibility of giving all of their characters true great endings. They could have really given the fans a great send off by re-pairing old super couples like Ryan and Gillian, Greenlee and Leo and Babe and JR back together and then have them all going off into the sunset and being true their characters while having happy endings and instead we are getting none of that and we have to sit through Minx with fake Bianca and them being fake lesbians together and of course Zendell the worst of them all get to be happy. It's spectacular to see how hard the Kane women have fallen over the years.

Thorsten. Ugh. Just Thorsten. Why did he have to come back. Zach ruined Kendell. Ruined her.

Erica is so not a maternal figure. But I did like her strength going against JR. I wish Jacob would have played this a little subtler though. I think he is playing it too much like a mustache twirling villain.

I'm done. I don't even know why I watched for this [!@#$%^&*]. As far as I am concerned Lorraine, Agnes and PP can go jump off sharp jagged cliffs. I hate all of them for how this is going to end.

WTF why is it okay for Griffin to inject drugs into JR's system instead of just letting him see who the [!@#$%^&*] was underneath the goddamn sheet? Why can't David just tell JR that Babe is dead and be honest with him for once instead of making him believe that she might be alive? This is the [!@#$%^&*] that drives me insane. This man is sadistic, just tell him that Babe is dead and at least then he can stop hoping that the one woman he loves most in the world is alive somewhere. All David is doing is making him even more dangerous then he already is.

I hate this [!@#$%^&*] show.

No I think she is going to be on tomorrow at least for a bit. She didn't even get a chance to say anything to him.

Yeah I agree. While I have always felt JR to be a bit of a violent person, maybe even homicidal he has never been a cold blooded mass murderer. Although from the way everyone has been pushing him, treating him, acting towards him it does makes sense that he could go columbine on all their asses and to be honest I probably wouldn't even care aside from maybe a few Hubbards and Martins. And I'm not even a fan of him. I honestly wouldn't cry tears for any of them at this point. Everyone on this show is so utterly gutted and unlikable.

• Members

I don't get it on a lot of levels. This is Dixie and Adam's son, not a throw away character. He lost a woman he didn't really love to a woman and his mother has come back from the dead and just wants to take care of him. Is that really reason for him to be carrying this much rage? He's no longer drinking but is still a homophobic and seemingly homicidal/suicidal mess. I can understand why they're keeping AJ from him because he's seething with hatred and anger in almost all scenes. This is another bad story thread and this one is on Agnes.

• Members

I don't see what's wrong with what they are doing to JR. To give him this kind of material IS investing in him. It does seem 'final' to me and I'd hate to lose the character but not everyone's going to be happy and it's interesting to see JR just finally snap. Boy's been through a ton. His mother's died how many times? Adam's always been either a controlling or absent father (though the love is there). He lost the love of his life in Babe, he has bad relationships with Jamie, Scott and Colby (mostly through his own self-destruction), he's losing his son. The next love of his life, Marissa, is now a lesbian.

And again, granted, JR brought a lot of this on himself , but still ...

• Members

I think the main reason why JR is getting this type of exit is because Jacob Young is not coming along with PP, and TPTB don't feel that they can recast the character. I'm sure the writing would be very different if Young chose to come along. (However, I can't blame him, because a job at B&B will almost certainly pay more money than a job with PP.)

• Members

I think JY is doing a good job, he's definitely embracing being seemingly homicidal and suicidal but he's almost always playing it wounded and not like a sociopath. I don't see it as mustache twirling and egotistical like David. I think the story is OTT though. If he had just lost a love like Babe, who he was crazy about and if his mother was still dead, then sure. I guess he lost the company and the mansion recently and Adam cut him out of the will but him giving off Michael Cambias vibes just seems too severe. Even if I didn't read rumors, I'd know at this point that this was going to end really badly and it was going to be by his hands.

ETA: Jacob Young has done a good job as JR but JR can be recast and in being recasted he could have been a better romantic figure for some of the more mature looking women on the show. So if they're really thinking that IMO it's ridiculous.

• Members

Angela, I agree that JR could definately be recasted. However, it just seems obvious to me (based on the way JR is currently being written) that the executives at PP disagree with us. This is unfortunate, because (as others have pointed out) the loss of JR will essentially make the Chandler family irrelevant.

• Members

I think the leering is what gets me, that strikes me as very 1920's mustache twirling along with his posturing and overt physicality/body language which basically projects "I am villain". There's no real subtlety to me it's all very show, show, show.

I actually think Vincent is fairly judicious when it comes to pulling back on the camp and playing things straight. He usually either tries to justify his actions and tries to make people see his reasoning's or he just ignores them all.

But JR and his body language to me doesn't spell foreboding so much as it's it says "I will get you my pretty and your little dog too muah ha ha".

DeVry on the contrary just had this very silent, unnerving calm eeriness about him that made him quite terrifying because you just felt like something was unstable and like something wasn't right but you didn't know what it was. You didn't know where you stood with him a lot of the time and literally anything could have set him off. You didn't know if he was playing a joke, trying to make a point, or if he was really just that cruel and evil. He straddle the line quite well and showed multiple things happening at the same time and even threw in a bit of vulnerability in there for good measure in reference to Zach. Jacob's JR when he is angry (Minx and Erica today) doesn't show me that. I think the only time he really softens is when he has someone he cares about around him.

Archived