Y&R: Bring Back Brenda Dickson

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOVE the videos! Yes, I said stroke out. I can imagine that MAB would keep taping if it ever happened on set, call it REALITY TV and make a special episode out of it. It would blow the Billy Xmas show out of the water!

Jess Walton is a fine actress but was never right for Jill. I'm 35 but still remember the evil that is Brenda DICKson. She gives Shiela Carter a run for the money.

Not that it matters, but Y&R would get a HH boost if the used Brenda

• Members

I have only seen clips of Brenda but thought she was great in the clips from the 70's and from the first year or two in her second run. I said on another board they should have Kay get really sick and become delusional. Then see Jess Walton as Jill, then Deborah Adair as Jill and then Bond Gideon and finally Brenda Dickson. They could show clips of her with all four Jill's and they could explain it away by saying Kay was delusional in her illness.

Not sure that Deborah and Bond would do it, but I think Brenda would. It would be a bit of fun and allow the people that want to see Brenda to see her.

• Members

Did he do that heavy overhaul of Genoa City because actors were leaving? I know it had to do with moving the show to an hour, but it's always confused me a bit (to be fair, it's probably one of the only times such a heavy and relatively quick restructuring of a long running show actually worked, thoough I know i took a year or two for ratings to go back to where they were, and then higher). Of course he kinda used the original Y&R family set up when he did B&B, albeit in a campier style.

I know Brenda is officially nutso, but I wish someone would tell her that that bleached out hair looks absolutely terrible.

• Members

Oh, she's not horrible... just different in her two tenures. The Alexis Carrington clone is what they WANTED at the time, and Brenda played it like that. But she's a very old school throwback typ of actress... in that one clip (with the white pants and sweater) notice how she SASHAYS to the door in a very Joan Crawford kind of way. Brenda is very similar to Faye Duanway in alot of ways, actually. But my big issue has always been that the campy stuff is what is on youtube, so it skews people's opinions because her 70's work (the best stuff) is so few and far between as far as availability.

<object height="349" width="560"><param name="movie" value="

/><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="flashvars" value="&fs=1&autoplay=0&playerMode=embedded" /><embed height="349" src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

• Members

Any "old" or even "present" day Jill talk is pointless. Sony, CBS and/or MAB want actors from OTHER soaps to play the Y&R characters not the ones we had long ago. They use Tracy, John,P3, Brock, etc for a day or so and sent them on their way, they don't write them a complete story.

The only was we would see lots of Jill is if they could re- cast her with someone like Susan Lucci.

• Members

I wonder that myself. She said that playing Jill in the 70's was "So hard... because she was SOOOOO unlike me", etc. I almost said to her "That's why it's called acting, dear heart"... but I refrained! LOL From the way she talks about it, the k-mart blouses they made her wear and them rubbing her makeup off was what she hated the most, so I get the impression if she can get all dolled up in fancy clothes, she'd be game for playing the character about any way you'd tell her to.

• Members

Dickson seems very 'ON' in every interview I've ever seen. She was even frozen during her statement at the People's Choice Awards, or whatever they called it, years ago. I love her Splenda-sweet persona but understand how it could annoy some people. Back in the day, Brenda sounded like butter would not melt in her mouth.

Also, a lot of baby boomer women act like Brenda and dig the fancy clothes. She sort of reminds me of my mom.

I love the Susan Lucci comment someone made earlier. I hope it never happens but I could totally see CBS going for it,

Archived