OLTL Discussion for the week of August 15th

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1. I'm a realistic, cynical soap fan who has watched RC rewrite so much of his own material, I've come to know what he writes today is meaningless. You're holding RH as Todd as sacred canon RC/OLTL will never touch again. You're the one going on blind faith here. I'm basing MY point on a proven track record of rewrites.

2. And this is a moot debate anyways b/c IMO the doubt RC left is simply RH's exit option. If RH doesn't want to do PP, it's an easy explosive cliffhanger, maybe he's not really Todd after all.

3. I don't believe for one second TSJ is coming back to OLTL. So no lit candles here.

4. As for ignoring difficult questions, that's rich coming from you who continually ignore when I disprove your points with the correct FACTS.

5. I don't have a problem with Todd being sweet at times under EITHER version. The character does have a sweet side to counter the monster that lurks within. I have a problem with ANY Todd written like a pathetic puppy as I raged against RH for that crap in his last run and that was in scenes with KDP OR FL.

As I said above, and you of course ignored, the promo of RH raging is the first sign of him as real Todd. He should be exploding like that. Heck, if he had raged first then the sight of Starr/Hope softened his anger ala with Starr in Viki's attic in 96, would be in character. He should have been raging for weeks and only Starr could soften him cuz he wouldn't blame the kids for believing the impostor. The adults should be feeling his anger cuz Todd never ever takes betrayal well. That is one of his most consistent characteristics.

I stand by my point the blank faced reaction to Irene was completely OOC as was his leaving Baker simply tied up versus serving up a good beating. Todd gets EVEN not whimpers I need hugs.

You hate Téa. Your bashing of her is legendary. I have far more respect for say CarlD2 who OWNS he despises her guts b/c that's honest. You rip her to shreds and pretend objectivity.

We finally agree on one thing, you sure are ARROGANT. But you know that doesn't bug half me as much as how disingenuous you are.

• Members

I'm not going on blind faith. I'm just watching the show. It seems significantly less exhausting than whatever it is you're doing.

Oh, I think he'll be back.

Oh, no, I think I get it now: When it's him being happy families with anyone but Tea, it's pathetic and OOC.

It's not 1996 anymore. After he replayed that same reaction anyone crossed him in any way over anything, over and over, even when the others were fully justified, that routine got old. He's obviously about to go on the attack again, and this time he has valid reasons. He's just older and more nuanced now.

Do I? Is it? Where?

Actually, I don't hate Tea. I think she's a great antiheroine. I was disappointed when she left in 2000. I enjoy her and Florencia Lozano on the show a great deal. I also think Tea is, at times, a crazy bitch but I've enjoyed her immensely since she's been back on the show, despite my feeling they shoved her into a heroine role in the last year that doesn't fit her. You see, in my world, I can sometimes hate what a character does and find them to be in the wrong and underhanded (though Tea isn't always, and certainly not now) but still really enjoy them as an exciting, complicated character on a soap opera. It's the schemers and plotters that make things the most interesting. I always enjoy FL's performance on the show and she consistently entertains me. I think Tea was at her strongest in the early days of her return. And I think I've made that very clear here over the last couple years. If other people really think I despise Tea and want her gone, they're welcome to let me know.

• Members

This thread has too many pages for me to even begin to trawl through, so a couple of question's that I hope hasn't already been addressed.

I've only seen up to Wednesday's episode, and having watched Irene's explanation, I have to wonder why she gave Victor the scar, knowing that Mitch would be a problem, and ultimately would give her son plastic surgery? This is a woman who had taken great lengths in orchestrating an elaborate scheme right down to the fine detail, yet she pointlessly scarred her son for no reason?!

I guess this leads me into who Irene Manning actually is as a character. I've never seen her before, so I'm not sure if she always was psychotic; from what Viki has said about her, she's never described her as such, so is this out-of-character for her? Would she really deliberately inflict pain on her own child in such a cool, controlled, calculated manor? Also, is it plausible that she lied about having cancer? Or is that a rewrite that doesn't work.

Also, what is the real point of incorporating the CIA into this? I don't feel it adds much to the story, but kinda detracts, and in some way makes it feel even more Sci-Fi-esque. The actual story itself, doesn't really interest me as much as what it will do/does to the characters. "Todd's" reaction, and how he deals with the truth; where it takes Tea, Dani, Viki, etc, and what it means for them. I was more engaged with the concept, and could even over look the convoluted structure, but Irene's reasoning for doing all of this was anti-climatic, and has let the story down for me. I do like the idea of the Todds being twins, as that seems a logical explanation, but Irene's reasons could have been a lot more... I guess I don't feel it holds up to such an elaborate plan. But, she is clearly a first floor short of a house, so who can argue with such mad reasoning?

• Members

Irene has always been a plot device. She came on the show briefly in 1978 to die. Since that time, she was rewritten as having two - now three - children with Victor. Until recently she was never written as anything evil or despicable, but she was never a strong character. It's just a shame we probably won't see her with Tina. I'm not entirely sure it will even be mentioned.

• Members

Thanks Carl. I didn't realize that Tina was a rewrite (I knew about Todd, and now Victor). I had an idea she probably wasn't originally evil. So, everyone has believed since 1978 that Irene was dead - why did she fake her death? I think, what I really want to know is why did they pick Irene to be the mastermind? This story has given me way too many questions. I think I should just be grateful that I'm not an old time viewer, otherwise this would be a whole lot more vexing. laugh.png

• Members

There was so much discussion since my last post that I'm not even going to attempt to respond to any of it...At least people are talking and watching the show though right?

I originally supported the idea of a OLTL daily thread, but when you think about it; how much are people actually talking about the rest of the show? Once the Tale of Two Todds is done, which means an end to the debates, will there really be a need for a two page thread daily about how much we all hate JPL's acting?

Archived