OLTL Discussion for the week of August 15th

• Members

It was TSJ who lashed out and raged at Irene. Very much like he would lash out at Peter and Victor for ruining his life.

RH just stood there passively accepting it all and then like the lost puppy RC has been writing him, begged Viki for a hug. Which even Viki pointed out was soooooooooooooooooooooooo OOC.

RH has been so darn calm, reasonable and lacking any real rage since his return, it's been jarring to watch. I don't blame RH. The material been all wrong as he should have beaten Baker to a PULP. He should be raging at Irene and at her throat, too.

The promo, however, looks like finally RC is remembering oh yeah the real Todd would be plotting revenge and raging.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, Todd and Victor should be teaming up to get back at Irene for messing with their lives like this. I'm done hoping they won't make it impossible to redeem her. AFAIC, she's just Stefano DiMera in a cheap red wig.

• Members

It's more in character for real Todd to LACK empathy so I didn't expect it.

Real Todd has always been defined by the RAGE at being betrayed, and especially by family.

So he spit nails learning Peter and Victor's betrayals yet calmly let Irene walk out that door? Never once vowing revenge against HER? That's inconceiveable.

She and Baker should have gotten a boatload of Toddian rage thrown at them.

• Members

Yes, and I could win the lottery tomorrow. You can't prove it's impossible!

Todd is angry at Irene, but he also had rage against Victor Lord and Peter Manning. He was never able to truly raise a hand against Peter, and certainly not against Victor. When faced with them he shut down for the most part. He is full of rage against the elders who wrecked his life but he is also consistently powerless to strike physically against them in any real way. So he redirects his rage - in this case, against Victor Jr., who remains in denial. This is a singular trait.

Incidentally, I wanted to echo whoever said the Shane/Jack scenes today had a very weird vibe. They were acting like Shane caught Jack cheating on him.

• Members

Jamey's FL is out post was in March. Jamey had just broken Sky and Rachel's exit, so his credibility was high on exits. Many feared it was true b/c FL was backburned and they were doing Todd/Kelly onscreen.

The FL/VI stunts came late summer/fall.

• Members

There was no way to do a "two Todds" story that was not going to be insane. As ridonk as it is, and no matter what TeamEric needs to believe to justify her feelings of endless persecution, they actually were aiming for something that would allow TSJ's character to remain on the canvas as a force to be reckoned with - Todd's brother, a Lord heir. I definitely think the execution could have been better and less goofy, but it has been consistently entertaining and the performances and character interaction with everyone have carried it all through for me.

As it is, there is absolutely no way I would have accepted the show going forward with TSJ as Todd Manning after the vile [!@#$%^&*] he did in the last couple years. The audience is apparently behind that because the show has just admitted onscreen how OOC that madness was and there's been a huge positive response. I'm not interested in another swerve just for swerve's sake. What this has done, whether or not we fault the execution, is resurrect a dying and ruined character while adding a fascinating new one to the history of the show. I have no interest in seeing Roger Howarth paired with Susan Haskell or whatever else you had in mind for those two actors. I just wanted the Todd I could care for, one of my favorite characters on the show for many, many years along with Viki and Nora, to get his soul back, and he's done that,.

As for Jamey Giddens, he was wrong about Florencia Lozano in early 2010, and he has since admitted that. She was never truly out that year.

• Members

I think it's obvious, for whatever reason, RC has left the door open to completely rewrite this mess and reveal down the road RH is really Victor. The seeds are all there by writing him so docile and begging for hugs after mommy hurt him.

So far, we have only a proven, manipulative liar's word for all this. I expected Tomas to be the character who knew the truth and would out TSJ as the impostor. I expected the CIA files to be decrypted and concrete proof presented. Perhaps, that is coming but so far Khan has a very valid point, IMO.

And Starr's instincts can't be trusted. No one's can because they all believed completely that TSJ was Todd.

I believe I said RAGE at her which he did not and he did have that one confrontation with Peter which was intense. He shows up at Starr's house and plays dolls with Hope, calmly and sweetly.

• Members

I hope that keeps you warm at night. OLTL's stance is that RH is Todd and TSJ is Victor. The "truth," I'm sure, shall live on in fanfic.

Todd has been in prison for eight years. He has never met his granddaughter. I'd be bored if he hadn't evolved after all that time, and did not take the time to rediscover his family and his life. It's not all guitars and bad '90s hair anymore.

• Members

How the heck can "special needs" Victor be a force to be reckoned with?

This story was getting positive response until this ABSURD nonsense this week.

Jamey followed up that post with tweets there was a war over FL with Frons wanting her out and FV fighting to keep her. He said FV was able to change Frons' mind. I don't recall him ever admittiing he was totally wrong from the start, and I followed all his Flor remarks carefully.

• Members

Here's a thought: why bother doing a "two Todds" story at all? Why not pull another Nicholas Walker/James DePaiva and have the original actor reclaim his role? Or better yet, keep TSJ as Todd, and have RH return as a new and altogether different character? I'd still cry foul either way, but I'm learning more and more that today's soap fans simply don't give a [!@#$%^&*].

Frankly, that's giving the show entirely too much credit. I mean, that all sounds good on paper. Chances are, however, the minute this whole story wound down, TSJ either would've been moved to another story, back-burnered, or sent packing, leaving RH, KDP, and possibly FL (along with all of Todd's offspring) to reenact "OLTL: The JFP Years."

(And if that makes me a defender of TSJ - God, but does that leave a shitty taste in my mouth! - then so be it.)

Is this going to be another "Katrina Karr" between the two of us? I. WAS. KIDDING.

• Members

For as much sport as has been made of Irene's explanation of the character, they left the nature of his disorder very vague. And the character who has been onscreen for years has developed into a calculating schemer. Do you really think he was going to suddenly turn into an invalid had he remained? The "ill twin" angle only adds more sympathy for Victor Jr. - he's so sick he became a monster, but it was because of his mother's years of conditioning.

We'll see how the ratings do.

Jamey went back and forth on that all spring but the bottom line is she didn't go anywhere and he later admitted to some egg on his face as he misunderstood the plans for her storyline. She came back after a brief stint on the backburner to dominate the rest of 2010 with her cancer story.

• Members

Wow, did I and Khan strike a big time nerve! whistling.jpg

"Honey," OLTL just proved, yet again, they are the KING of switching history on you. Nothing is sacred.

They can tomorrow pull the rug out again and say RH was Victor all along.

Even a BLIND man can see the door was left open in case RH doesn't stick around for the online version. It's the perfect EXIT story, left waiting in the wings.

Archived