Ratings from the 70's

• Members

I was just happy to get access to 3 years of ratings data, but now it's even more fun, since the data will not only fill-in the Nielsen ratings, but also confirm the preemptions for ALL the soaps. So, this is the first time I can provide some in-depth research on soaps besides Days. It will be a fun journey!

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can understand how the ABC soap lineup during this time period soared. I was in college during late 70s and early 80s.  It was an unwritten rule that lounges were locked on ABC from 12:30 to 4.   I was interested in All My Children and watched bits and pieces of the other 3.   

The writing was at its peak with Phoebe and the conflicts with Chuck and Donna (ex hooker with Billy Clyde, Estelle) as well as other great stories.   OLTL had the Karen Marco Dane stuff and GH was starting the Monty era 

Many probably watched at home during breaks.  I was still loyal to CBS but maybe I was the exception.  Young and Restless was still kind of obscure in a remote 12 noon slot.   It may have taken a while for CBS to be recognized as having programming other than traditional fare for parents and grandparents.  

Y & R may have not done so well at 1 to 2 head to head with AMC which is probably why they insisted on 12:30

• Members

Actually Y and R was moved to try to defeat AMC by starting at the earlier start at 12:30PM on June 8, 1981 (42 years ago today). Y and R was going up against Ryan's Hope on ABC and easily dominated the 12:30 pm to 1PM EST time slot, but AMC would beat Y & R from the 1 to 1:30 slot. Eventually Y and R dominated Ryan's Hope and was able to defeat AMC in the 1:00PM slot which is what allowed Y and R to go to Number 1 in the ratings. Ryan's Hope was cancelled in 1989.

• Members

All My Children knocked out AW and ATWT during August and September 1978 and was Number 1 for the 1978 to 1979 season. General Hospital and Y&R also knocked AW and ATWT out of the top 3 during August to Nov. 1978.

ATWT and AW were tied in the ratings but ATWT had a higher share so it took the crown for 1977 to 1978 season.

1977–1978 Season

• 1. As the World Turns 8.6/31 share
  • 2. Another World 8.6/28 share
  • 3. All My Children 8.4/31 share
  • 4. Guiding Light 8.0
  • 5. The Young and the Restless 7.8
  • 6. Search for Tomorrow 7.5
  • 7. One Life to Live 7.2
  • 8. Ryan's Hope 7.0/28 share
  • 9. General Hospital 7.0/23 share
  • 10. Days of Our Lives 6.9
  • 11. The Doctors 6.5
  • 12. Love of Life 6.0
  • 13. The Edge of Night 5.2
  • 14. For Richer, For Poorer (retooled Lovers and Friends) 3.9 (Debut: December 6, 1977)

1978–1979 Season

• 1. All My Children 9.0
  • 2. General Hospital 8.7
  • 3. The Young and the Restless 8.6
  • 4. As the World Turns 8.2
  • 5. Guiding Light 8.1
  • 6. One Life to Live 8.0
  • 7. Search for Tomorrow 7.6
  • 8. Another World 7.5
  • 9. Ryan's Hope 7.2
  • 10. Days of Our Lives 6.8
  • 11. The Doctors 6.3
  • 12. Love of Life 5.8
  • 12. The Edge of Night 5.8
  • 14. For Richer, For Poorer 2.1 (Final Season; ended September 29, 1978)
Edited by JoeCool

• Members

All My Children going up substantially and claiming the top spot. AW still strong. ATWT begins to drop off a bit. Y&R solid and strong. OLTL coming on strong as well probably getting residual carry over from AMC. GH making its move out of the bottom half. DAYS rising to Number 4 and then solidly in the middle.

Thank you for posting!!

Edited by JoeCool

• Members

I looked up what was going on at Days.

Donna threatened to jump off a window ledge. Don saved her, but fell off instead, Janice was kidnapped by her biological mother, Mary quit Anderson and went to work with Chris and Julie's brother Steve was re-introduced. Doesn't sound very thrilling but maybe it played out better than it sounds 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I wonder if in previous Summers the ratings fluctuated to reflect that? 

This was the first year GH and OLTL were 60 mins and both shows story wise were more engaging. So AMC viewers had more of a reason to stay tuned.

Was this the time that the 'Love in the Afternoon' promos began?

I wonder if Jackie Smith at ABC had been working towards a big Summer promo blitz and ensuring the stories were there,knowing that those younger viewers would be available.

Not sure why Days would have that spike ...

Reading various things over the years I know that the ratings data was much anticipated each week. I'm sure at Days there would have been much jubilation and congrats to Ann Marcus and a feeling they were on the right track, only to be disappointed in coming weeks when the numbers dropped.

Search was looking weak. Henry Slesar was writing but the Corringtons were on the way.