Ratings from the 70's

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When Search moved to 2:30 was there much shift in ratings?    I don’t think so.  I think the dip happened before the switch    It seemed like a good decision sandwiched between similar P and G shows ATWT and GL

If so then why would P and G fight so hard to put it back at 12:30?   And then the move to NBC killed it going against Y&R and affiliate preemptions

P and G did a good job of destroying Search and Edge

• Members
FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 7/3/78-7/7/78 & 7/10/78-7/14/78:

Please register in order to view this content

Days got to # 2 the week of 7/3/78-7/7/78:

3193...7/3/78:
Cast: Bill, Julie, Doug, Greg, Robert, Don, Donna, Steve, Hope, Theresa, Dave, Anesthetist, Nurse # 1, Nurse # 2.
Sets: Doug’s Place, Hospital Corridor & Nurses’ Station with Elevator, Julie’s Apartment, Don’s Hospital Room, Recovery Room, Operating Room.

3194...7/4/78:
Cast: Tom, Alice, Mickey, Bill, Julie, Doug, Laura, Donna, Steve, Hope, Janice, Dora, Mrs. Price, Nurse.
Sets: Laura’s Den, Horton Backyard, Hospital Corridor & Nurses’ Station, Don’s Hospital Room, Corridor Outside Laura’s Office, Laura’s Office.

3195...7/5/78:
Cast: Mickey, Bob, Maggie, Neil, Linda, Chris, Janice, Joanne, Betty, Jim.
Sets: Bob & Linda’s Lakehouse, Joanne’s Hospital Room, Mickey’s Inner & Outer Office, Chris’ Storefront Office.

3196...7/6/78:
Cast: Tom, Alice, Bill, Maggie, Linda, Don, Marlena, Laura, Chris, Donna, Joanne, Nurse.
Sets: Laura’s Bedroom, Horton Kitchen, Joanne’s Hospital Room, Laura’s Office, Operating Room Waiting Room, Chris’ Storefront Office, Don’s Hospital Room, Corridor Outside Don’s Hospital Room.

3197...7/7/78:
Cast: Julie, Doug, Bob, Mike, Robert, Mary, Chris, Margo, Steve, Theresa, Dave.
Sets: Mary’s Studio, Doug’s Place, Margo’s Pad, Julie’s Apartment.

TUNE IN TOMORROW WEEKLY RECAP:
7/3/78-7/7/78: Doug hired a new singer, Theresa Harper, who attracted Steve's attention and made Julie jealous. Donna lost her foster home and stood vigil while Don underwent surgery for internal bleeding. Marlena freaked when she learned Don must undergo another operation because of infection complications. Alice convinced Maggie that Janice is too young to learn Joanne is her mother. Linda fumed that Chris accepted a job with Jim Bradley that would pit Chris against Bob's company in an environmental fight. Jeri agreed to care for Timmy while Trish films a European movie. Mike and Margo reconciled. Robert suspected that Theresa had stolen money from the club.
Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

You're welcome. Each week is fun to put together, sort of like a puzzle. The main ratings data is in one section, the affiliates data is another section, and the preemptions data is another section, so that's why it takes me a bit to type up each one, as I fill in all of the puzzle pieces!

I think I have some time this weekend, so I am planning to post the other July weeks in a few minutes. And maybe I can get done with August at least by tomorrow. It all depends on time, but I will do my best to at least post one chart each day!!

• Members

Thank you. All the hard work, thanks. Take your time!!!!

A solid Number One ranking for All My Children.  And Ryan's Hope Number 3 wow!! I cannot believe RH beat the Young and the Restless!!

Edited by JoeCool

• Members

Wow- never knew days hit #2! 

From the summary it seems Don and Marlena were the reason for that. Pity they couldn't keep up the momentum, plunging back to the bottom the following week.

AW and ATWT still hanging in the Top 5 with OLTL,RH and Y&R all making an appearance.

Interesting that at this point OLTL is regularly ahead of GH yet ultimately became perennial runner up to its sister soap.

Knowing what's to come makes this an even more fascinating read. 

Thanks so much Jason for your efforts.

• Members

I was thinking of maybe rotating and doing 1978 sometimes and 1980 sometimes, so fans of early 80's could start discussing the ratings, but I don't see a thread like this for early 80's ratings. So, should a thread be started for that, or did I miss it somewhere?

• Members
FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 7/31/78-8/4/78 & 8/7/78-8/11/78:

Please register in order to view this content

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 8/14/78-8/18/78 & 8/21/78-8/25/78:

• Members

General Hospital beginning its rise.

All My Children a solid Number 1.

Restless getting stronger as well as One Life.

Ryan's Hope Number 4. For the week of 8/21, ABC had the top 4 spots.

Another World begins to slide and fade and ATWT begins to decrease.

All My Children began its ascent to Number 1.

Edited by JoeCool