DAYS: Special effects and freeze frame endings

• Members

Sorry to dig this up after five years of inactivity. But nobody liked the special effects and freeze frame endings? I actually thought they were one of the more unique (in a positive sense) parts of the show. I don't like fade-to-black endings... maybe for commercials, but don't end your episodes with them.

I didn't care too much for some of the outlandish ones like the lightning bolts or fire in the background. They kind of looked cheap. But I did like the ones where they'd fade out just the background, leaving the frozen shot of the character. To me, that is more dramatic/intense than having the character stand there while the shot fades to black.

I really wish they'd bring it back!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think I was one of the few who *loved* them! I whole-heartedly agree with what you said about them and I'd love if the show brought them back.

Heres an example of one I loved ;-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcyOlYXR8OM

ICAM! Not a fan of FTB transitions at all, especially in soaps. I don't even like when they do them for commercials...lol. AMC, OLTL, and sometimes DAYS have gotten out of doing them & they use that force out (not sure exactly how to say it) way instead and I love it.

I can't picture any soap besides DAYS using the SFX freeze frame endings though for some reason.

• Members

Are you for real? They made the show look incredibly cheesy, cheap and downright awful. Days looked like an absolute joke with the cartoon effects. The freeze frame was alright, but the special effects are a big HELL NO

• Members

I for one don't like Days, freeze fames or the super fast fade out with the drums that seem to go with it. It's dumb and I hope the new team stops doin g this BS. Freeze frame ending I can do. But these fast swooshes into commercial I can't do. I HATE IT!!. I think Tomlin started that on OLTL and he brought it to Days. I HATE IT!!!!

• Members

Those special effect freeze-frame endings were horrendous and just further fed into the perception that DOOL was/is a joke.

However, I am very glad that somebody brought up this topic, because I had been wanting to discuss it for a long time. What I'd most like to know is when did these special effect freeze frame endings debut, and when did they stop?

• Members

Hahah. I loved these ridiculous things, but only in a "this is stupid" sort of way. Like fire coming up out of people's heads in a freeze frame. I remember every episode in 2002 ending with someone holding THE KEY TO THE GEMINI TWINS and it glowing bright blue.

But I do love the old school freeze frames like on Another World. Those would be nice to have! Just like "life is stopping for a moment" and picking up where we left off the next day.

• Members

Here's a great example of where the freeze-frame ending (especially with the highlight being the blood and Kate's scream still going after the scene has frozen) is more effective than simply fading to black.

I liked the video above with Hope/Bo/Billie that AllMyDaysAtGH posted. Freeze on Hope, remove the background - straight to previews. I think a fade to black would've been ineffective there, too.

I like the "thud" ends they do now... though I wish they'd only use them to end the episode and not go to commercials with them.

Archived