DAYS: Special effects and freeze frame endings

• Administrator

Some of them are good - like the ones that turn black-and-white, or the ones that turn b-a-w but something stays in colour (like that blood on Kate). But the ones that are really bad are with stupid effects like lighting bolt in the background. The previews had bad effects too like sparkling stars, or the scene tilting/distortion.

I really liked those!

One of my favorite freeze frame was Kristen's last scene:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v0ahoPNpa1c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow.

I think they go into the Twilight Zone at one point.

I think someone got the wrong idea about what the title "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" really meant.

I also have to point out that totally random extended shot of Carrie shaking her boobs at about 3:10 or 3:15...

• Members

That montage actually aired on the show? WOW! With those special effects, it really does look like a Windows Movie Maker video you see fans of certain couples make on Youtube

thats so sad. What an awful final scene for her fans. Has she ever been mentioned again? I cant imagine Stefano would have never found and saved her. Do we even know where she is today?

• Members

Yes it did. At the time the soap magazines panned the show for ruining the fans enjoyment of Mike/Carrie's first time, as the scene was so ridiculous.

I'd never seen it until now.

I used to love READING about late 90's DAYS but never had the time to fully watch. But stuff like this and John beating the crap out of 3 or 4 cops and Roman makes me regret that :lol:

• Members

Freeze frames are great and it is a shame DOOL stopped using them. When I think of freeze frame I always think of some shot of Sue-Ellen or JR on Dallas at a moment of max emotional intensity or a revelation sinking in, and freeze frame is the perfect mechanism to show "what will they do?" All the nighttime soaps used them but daytime shied away for less dramatic scene endings.

• Members

Here is a GREAT one:

I know not everyone was crazy about the Princess Gina storyline under Sussman-Morina that went on FOREVER and made no sense at all (I actually loved it at the time, don't know that I would if it were on again now) but this scene is really SO well done. Really cinematic and the freeze frame was such an intense way to the end episode.

Days in the 90s <3 Best soap ever possibly.

• Members

I loved the instrumental used for that montage. Nothing beats the background music for 90s DAYs, especially the late 90s. I agree, that is one of the best build ups for a freeze frame and well deserved.

I didn't really mind the Princess Gina story, other than the fact that it was difficult to look at the overall big picture, which didn't make sense at the time.

• Members

Well, that's because they seemed to be re-writing it AS they were writing it and it was already a re-write to begin with.... LOL. But the "Gope" storyline as I called it definitely kept me coming back just because it was so unlike anything done on daytime before and in a surreal way it was so fascinating despite being so stupid. I can't imagine any soap these days having a cliff hanger like that-- badass and fierce are two words to describe this cliffhanger. Days in the 90s was really the addiction you could not quit even though you knew it was bad for you.

• Members

I LOVED those freeze frame endings. They represent one of my favorite Days eras and always made me excited for the next episode. Sometimes I would watch just the endings to see HOW it would end and who with. I really wish they'd bring it back.

Archived