DAYS: Special effects and freeze frame endings

• Members

I don't think you understand what I mean, Ira. Fading to black takes no time at all. Most video editors (even the ancient ones I used in high school) had built-in functionality for that. Fading the ending scene to black is no more work than going to a commercial for the editors.

Having somebody create fiery background animations, thunderstorms, moving patterns, sound effects that suit the mood and then implementing them into moving or still video (or even harder: split screens) takes A LOT more time than fading to black, and I would bet it would take at least another person to achieve. Most video editors aren't the designers creating the special effects.

On top of the endings, DAYS used to have those same effects throughout their 20 second "Next on Days of our Lives" promos. Now, they are 10 seconds with no effects, just straight scene-to-scene clips right into the credits.

In the 800+ episodes they've done since they've stopped with the effects, I bet they've saved at least that number in hours it took to put those together. In big companies, time is money.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gah. I remember the soup attack! There was a period of a few weeks where everyone thought Marlena was possessed again. Good grief.

I don't wanna belabor the point, but I've done video editing and I know people who edit professionally. Those tacky split screens and flashy lights on Days maybe would take an extra 30 minutes or so to do for each episode. It's time spent, but it's not something someone is going to get paid a lot of bucks to do. All editing programs now are equipped with that, hell I could do some of that on my Mac right now in 15 minutes. It's not that involved a process.

Archived