• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't believe after months of angst over losing these shows people are not excited by this news. I am thrilled maybe because I see this as a potential new beginning and not same old same old. I wonder what people want really. You think these shows are so good now that they can't absorb change? I welcome it and hope these people in charge are too. And I'm sorry if I don't agree about wanting all the same producers and writers. I don't want any of the current showrunners brought over. Why? I can see a few for transitionary purposes. But I honestly care less about the cast and who does or doesn't stay than the rest of the potential. The only must have for AMC is Lucci. That name alone will bring people in . Slezak is key to OLTL but she certainly doesn't have the same name value. As far as the rest while I have my personal faves, I don't really care.

• Members

If the scheduling works out, I can see actors not having a problem doing the online version. If they get a steady paycheck(even a smaller one) and the freedom to look for and do other projects, things could work out. They could also do the model someone I think has already mentioned of putting core people on contract and everyone else be recurring.

• Members

I'm thrilled and I see your point, but I still want Broderick to stay at AMC because I really think she's the best writer they've ever had aside from Agnes Nixon herself. I really think this is the chance to resurrect AMC (and OLTL, which I haven't watched regularly in years and don't have the same level of investment in). As for the actors, I agree that Lucci is the only marquee name AMC must keep, but I hope they work out a deal to keep Jack, Tad & Dixie, too.

• Members

This is great news! I know people are a bit skeptical about how this could work out but at least if The Chew and Revolution both flop there's always a way for the soaps to end up back on ABC Daytime if they keep going. It *did* say multi-platform so I'm sure that it could end up on another network or something as well with this online network being the main place to view it. I just hope the shows get some fresh blood behind the scenes to get some exciting new ideas into the stories.

• Members

I'm afraid its going to turn out like what happened when Seventh Heaven was cancelled and then got picked up for another season or two. I didn't watch that show except for a few episodes but I know that a lot of fans thought the first series finale was much better than the second series finale. I hope we don't end up feeling the same way.

• Members

I thnk this is great and opens up a world of possibilities. I think OLTL and AMC as we know them are pretty much over regardless of this news. I doubt the shows will continue to look anything like they currently do, but is that such a bad thing? I mean most of us spend all our time bitching about how bad they are anyway. They can do so much more without the restrictions that "daytime" brings. I'll be interested to see what they bring to the table. Maybe I'll like it. Maybe I won't. I hope they draw the current shows to the closure they planned regardless, and then springboard the new ones from whatever beginning point they want. For all practical purposes they could leap forward (not like time travel hasn't been done before) 10 - 15 years, and have a 40-50 year old Jessica or Kendall be the new matriarch of the show and have a brood of teens. Teen Bree and Hope and Liam and Ryder etc. could form the nexus of the new shows. Perhaps it's not what I want to watch but that doesn't mean nobody does.

• Members

Whatever, marceline. Blatant deflection, which you with your superior intellect should know, is rather obvious.

My point is, this fantasy of Agnes Nixon kicking ass is adorable... but still a fantasy. She may be a skilled writer that exhibits a progressive vision when it comes to storytelling... but a businesswoman, she is not. Hell, even Bill Bell knew better and retained ownership over his creations. As an artist, myself, I am dumbfounded that an artist at Nixon's level would even consider giving complete ownership of her shows to ABC. There is no way I believe she was involved in any of this. I'm sure she was privy to the scuttlebutt about the online proposal, but there isn't a doubt in my mind that ABC/Prospect Park would've carried on -- yay or nay -- without her blessing. Nixon didn't even understand the fact that New York crew members weren't able to go out to LA because they weren't LA Union members. Agnes Nixon has exhibited herself to just not be that savvy and, unfortunately, ABC has taken absolute advantage of that over the last 30+ years they've owned her programs. This is a woman who has allowed Erica to be molested, sold into pedophilia and have her groundbreaking storyline UNDONE... only to toe the company line and say nothing but kind things about the desecration of her work. This is not a kickass woman who fights for the integrity of her shows.

Anyway... carry on. Just felt like clarifying my comment was about the business aspect. The Eckhardts giving birth to her was never a factor.

• Members

I know. While I understand the doubts, you would think that there would be a major celebration. I have no idea what these new online soaps will look like, but if nothing else, this is an opportunity to recreate the scripted drama. Yes, it might flame out like Passions on DirecTV, but it also can turn out to be something new and interesting attracting a new audience for a dying genre.

• Members

I wonder if being on the internet will allow them to be more risque with the material. If Minx continues, I wonder if they will actually write and potray them as two lesbians in love and not a sexless pairing thats nothing but a network tease

Archived