• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So happy! Will be interesting to see how things work out...I wonder who will stay/go? Since they're not owned by ABC anymore will they have to create new openings, etc? What about where they tape? From what I've seen on web soaps, they're not filmed on permanent, built sets or anything like that. Surely a lot will change...

• Members

Yes, it's inevitable that these shows are going to look and feel very different, I think. I'm sure many of the actors will choose not to come along for the ride. BUT I still see this as a huge win. A chance for a rebirth.

• Members

No offense intended to anyone, but who would envy any network executive? A network cancels a show - in this case, two long-running soap operas - and is vilified for it. The same network allows another entity to continue production on said canceled series, and is also vilified for it. ABC has been put into a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" predicament...no matter what the network does it can't please the fans.

When this news breaks, the immediate reaction from some, but not all, seems to be disdain instead of disbelief. Instead of being thankful that a production company - which produces "Royal Pains" for USA Network and "Wilfred" for FX - these "fans" proceed to attack the company instead of praising it. Are these the same fans who pleaded with networks, producers, anybody, to save their soaps? When someone does step up to the plate and does just that, they are ridiculed for doing so.

The next time a daytime soap gets the ax, maybe a white knight will think twice about riding in to rescue it given the general sour response of some fans to what should be great news.

• Members

I have to wonder...Will they own the rights to every character in AMC history? For instance, when the AW characters crossed over to ATWT, they had to buy the rights to the characters, correct?

So now, this new company will buy the rights to whatever characters they want...But what does that mean for future returns? For instance, if down the line they wanted Robin Christopher to return as Skye, would they have to go through a long drawn out process of buying the character? Or will this deal give them full access and ownership of all things AMC/OLTL?

• Members

The only condition I had for "saving our soaps" was good reason to believe that they'd get out of ABC's clutches and start all over, allowed to run free in the wilderness of their natural habitats...

Or, rather, I'm happy as f!ck to see these shows get a second chance. Hopefully this is good and it goes well.

• Members

I am a SAG/AEA member though not an AFTRA member. Webseries and the like are under the banner of New Media which SAG and AFTRA recognized as viable and unstoppable evolution of the industry. There was a lot of gray area as far as their members being in violation of Global Rule One which is to not do ANY non-union work (whether you are paid for it or not), as the Internet is a separate animal (i.e., where do you draw the line between a union member making his own silly videos on YouTube, and being a part of a full-fledged production that just happens to air online). The unions naturally wished to protect their members at work, while of course wanting to have a stake in this outgrowth of the industry. For now, an online production can get an agreement (not unlike a short film agreement) with either SAG or AFTRA which *legitimizes* the production in a way, and assures the union cast members that they are not breaking any rules. But there are no set pay scales from either union so pay rate is up to the producers and this is why these things are usually labors of love.

• Members

I can only watch AMC online since I live overseas and I have to rely on crappy streaming and bad Youtube vids.

There are so many question but most of all I'm happy and excited to see what develops next. Of course there are doubts but I'll worry about them tomorrow.

Archived