• Members

I will be the first to admit I did not think these shows could be saved and while they were not saved on TV, I think this still counts. Maybe this is like when soaps moved from radio to TV. I'm going to hope that's what it's like.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That was my next question, and if this online venture is successful I definitely see GH eventually making the transition. If they fail, even better reason for ABC to expedite GH's cancellation as “soaps are dead no matter what some vocal fans say“? :unsure:

• Members

I guess Hoover really did save our soaps!

Seriously, while I am happy for the fans, I myself would not get too excited about the matter. (I apologize if this pessimism bothers others, but I feel that I'm just being realistic.) My fears/expectations are that each soap (1) becomes so unrecognizable as a result of the likely budget cuts to come and (2) only cugs along for just another couple of years.

At the very least, I hope OLTL remains in New York City.

I don't want to sound completely like Mr. Gloom and Doom, however. The truth of the matter is that I do believe that the genre actually does have a future on the internet (and this announcement is the first step in making that happen). Yet, I predict that the successful internet soaps will be the ones that have yet to be developed (as opposed to any continuation or spin-off of an existing soap).

• Members

Isn't Ron C. already committed to GH? So he wouldn't be involved in the writing. I hope Agnes can at least consult since she seemed to be involved in the deal. This could give it a chance.

Frons shouldn't be involved if ABC sold them.

I will wait to see what cast is involved but I hope it is the Buchanans if they focus on one family. Viki, Clint, Bo, Nora, Natalie, Jessica, Joey, bring back Kelly and Dorian, Blair with "Real Todd", keep Tea. This I would surely find online and take time to watch. But I'm sure I am getting my hopes up. It will end up being Starr, Dani, and the Fords instead.

• Members

IMO Jess and Clint are completely destroyed as characters and should be written out.

I would keep Natalie, Viki, bring in Zane, recast Joey (although I like Degnan), bring back Kevin.

I also wish they would bring back Rachel. This would be a good chance. A websoap won't be as pressured to cater to bigotry and racism.

Archived