B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

Lol i remember Anki's!:D And there was also a site called Tresure of memories full lots of screencaps etc

Please register in order to view this content

Our schedule here in Finland was

1992 (1987-1988)

1993 (1989)

1994 (1990-1991)

1995 (1992-1993)

1996 (1994-1995)

1997 (1996)

1998 (1997) 

1999 (1998)

and so on... 

We had our own monthly Soap Opera magazine in 1997-2004 which had spoilers but after internet took over the magazine was cancelled. There was literally NO spoilers at all in 1992-1997 which made it exciting. Also many of the stars visited our country in the 90's. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It was. It hit our country at the right time since previous successes Dynasty and Dallas had just ended and our country was suffered by a huge financial crisis. So everyone was intrigued of this daily dose of rich and beautiful.

We also had Guiding Light in 1993 but that didn't go very long. Days of our Lives was on 2003-2011 as well Y&R in 1998-2014 (USA episodes 1993-2007). They both went pretty ok but at the moment B&B is still one and only american soap opera we have.

Edited by skebujebu

• Members

I would like to meet Susan and John. I have read a few interviews when they talk about one another. John called Susan his other wife. Susan said she loved John and called him my sweetheart. I guess after working for 25 years you really get to know one another really well.

• Members

I used to go to soap events they had on the east coast, so it was mostly ATWT and GL actors that I met. I think the only person I ever met that was on B&B was Rick Hearst (back when he was Alan-Michael on GL). He was super nice, it was a charity baseball game and he even had his young children there. And then we ran into them again at McDonald's afterwards, haha.

• Members

I remember reading somewhere that B&B took off in almost all of Europe whereas the only European country Y&R became a big hit in was France. As far as other countries where both were exported, I've also read Y&R was bigger in Israel and Turkey, and both were big in Australia. 

Bradley Bell was in charge by the time of the Catalina Island crossover (fall 1993). The first rumors of 1 hour expansion were in late 1994/early 1995; Lauren moved to B&B in the fall of 1995.

• Members

Brad was only the head writer. Bill and Lee Bell were still the executive producers. Tracey Bregman was even talking about this  a couple of weeks ago when talking about the Catalina episode that Bill was seriously considering making the show an hour then.

• Members

Can we talk about the weirdness that was Kristen's party set up by Ridge and Eric for her to meet the "top bachelors" in LA?

1.  The Bachelorette owes everything to this episode, from the introductions of the men in tuxedos, to the fact that everyone is casual about this being a 10:1 group date, to the various guys attempts at trying to get "alone time" with Kristen. 

2.  B&B's odd incestous tone continues, Kristen is in a room of ten single men but chooses to have the first dance with her brother, then Stephanie comes by the pool filled with guys in speedos but she only has eyes for her son, and finally Ridge stares longingly at his sister when she comes into the party (meanwhile, I still contend that Thorne was always cuter and came with less baggage).

3. The dancing would have been campy even in 1988.  Styles range from a waltz, to a couple of guys doing the Russian squat dance, to an 80's era slamdance, all culminating in a group dance to an elevator music cover of Janet Jackson's Control.

4.  Ridge has speedos brought in for all the guys on a silver platter ("one size fits all"), but poor Storm chooses to wear some baggy briefs.

5.  Some of the guys mention on how well Ridge is doing professionally, but nobody comments on the fact that he, and his grown siblings, are all still living in their parent's home.

6.  The truly bizarre juxtaposition of having scenes of Kristen's party happening in the same episode that Caroline is dealing with her sexual assault and Donna is about to be exploited by a photographer (maybe Kristen was single because all guys in LA were either unattainable professionals or sexual predators). 

Edited by j swift

• Members

Guys you shared amazing stories! It's nice to hear your memories on B&B.

Please register in order to view this content

I was raised by my grandma and watching B&B was kind of "our thing". When she passed away I continued to watch and thought that maybe she would still be watching with me and complaining about Brooke . One thing I definitely owe B&B is improving my English when I started watching original episodes and translating the recaps.

@divinemotion I heard the same stories about empty streets, but for Dynasty, which aired before B&B in Poland. And the show was also always perceived as girly or for grandmas only (I think in America it was thought of as a show for housewives). If a boy watched it or worse - enjoyed it - he was labelled weirdo or gay. That's why I was quite ashamed at the beginning and didn't tell anyone, but nowadays no one seems to care. I've got one friend who likes B&B, but she's not watching in regularly any longer.

I'd love to meet Hunter!

• Members

I always thought Thomas had inherited his dad's love of women/sex without the few boundaries ridge had.

B & B had a lot of emotional incest undertones with Ridge/Stephanie,  Eric/Kristen...with Ridge/Eric having competition to be the dominant male...while Stephanie was jealous of Kristen partly due to youth & her close relationship with Eric.  Thorne feeling second best which Eric/Stephanie confirmed in subtle ways. Felicia and Stephanie clashed due to being alike personality wise...but I didn't detect any odd emotional incest vibes with her and her family.

Brooke in the first few years wasn't sex addicted at all...in fact, she kept ridge at arms length for awhile sexually.  Theories on when she became sex addicted?