OLTL: Another actress out???

• Members

For me the quintessential Joey was Chris McKenna. Fillion was a Joey who had one good story in 3 years, then wisely left, and is remembered mostly because he has had solid success in primetime.

I thought Kelly essentially killed the Joey character and Fillion spent his last two years fading further into the wallpaper as she droned on. If he does return I hope it's after she's gone.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Carl, I loved Chris McKenna - but to me, we're talking about two different stages of character... I have posted before about the possibility of seeing McKenna back in the role at some point. He's a great as an adult actor now, too... But I know that ship has sailed, and that his mark on Joey is different than Fillion's.

That said, I thought Fillion was fantastic, and successfully transformed Joey into an adult. I have very fond memories of his on-screen rapport with Erika Slezak's Viki - particularly his work during the DID storyline. I wouldn't in a million years EVER agree with you that Fillion is "mostly remembered because he's had success in prime time." People online have forever been comparing every single Joey since Don Jeffcoat to him... and this was many years before Fillion reached any sort of mainstream popularity, let alone in prime time.

I really liked Joey & Kelly, as well... Maybe they just had an appeal for me that didn't work for you. (I actually never liked Kelly with anyone else...) I'm not sure how she "killed" him, especially if we're talking of when Fillion was there. (If this is just a case of one not being fond of Kelly / Gina Tognoni in general, then there's probalby no point in me having said anything.)

• Members

People have compared Joey recasts to Fillion, but that's more because of very bad casting and writing choices than one actor making a definitive stamp, IMO. When they brought Joey back, it was for one reason only, year in and year out - to be degraded. To show us what a pathetic loser he was. Jeffcoat, Hall, and Degnan.

When I say "killed", I mean ceased to exist as a character. Do you remember anything about Joey after he broke up with Dorian? I remember he listened to Kelly. He talked to Kelly. He talked about Kelly. He had sex with Kelly. He stood around in scenes clinging to Kelly. His relationships with his family were eased out, with the exception of a pouting contest with Drew over Kelly. He had a mini-story about a naked woman in the woods, which was also about his relationship with Kelly.

Any complexity or depth or purpose went out the window. That's one of the reasons why, from the time he returned under Jeffcoat, he seemed completely and utterly superfluous.

I don't blame Gina for this, I blame the writing. Even if I thought Gina and Nathan were wonderful together (which I don't obviously), I would still hate it. I'm amazed sometimes at how terribly this character has been written for such a long, long time.

• Members

I actually didn't hate her at the time Fillion was on the show. She was just there, taking up space. I only hated her after she was given a parade for killing a baby and covering up her crime.

Honestly my anger at the writing for Joey goes way beyond Kelly - I certainly can't blame her for the writing for the character when Bruce Michael Hall was in the role. And he has been humiliated this time around for the heinous Aubrey and Cookie Cutter as much or more as for Kelly.

Archived