Does Bree Williamson have a BRIGHT FUTURE outside of OLTL?

• Members

Today Bree Williamson garnered her third emmy nomination in a row for her portrayel as Jessica. IMO Bree has been one of the most featured, beloved gems for OLTL. ABC and Brian Frons have always adored her. I honestly believe we will be seeing Bree Williamson in the future somewhere soon after OLTL. She will have played the role of Jessica for nine years by the time she ends OLTL. Now actress in the last 10 years besides ES has garnered this many nominations. What do u see in Bree Williamson's future? Will she do well after OLTL?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think emmy nominations are a fair gauge of future success. I thought Bree's nomination this year was a joke. The whole teenage Jess thing was beyond bad. Bree does have a look that I am sure would get her some work, but she is going to have real competition with everyone from 2 soaps (many more talented than her) all looking for work. I don't think many will be impressed with her being a pet of Frons'.

• Members

I can see her easily as one of the few Y&R goes after but what if DAYS brought her on as Belle and have a rivalry with Sami for some reason? I could see a great rivalry on between Alison Sweeney and Bree.

But outside of soaps? Not sure Bree would do that great.

• Members

I think she very well could. She is pretty in a non-threatening way, and she has managed to get a few primetime roles in her time on OLTL. I think that the days of actors having a stigma for a soap run is probably passing us by, because no one cares about soaps now. It's not this mammoth bastard no one speaks of but everyone knows of.

She's not going to be some name but I can see her working consistently in primetime.

• Members

If she was going to become a big star it would've happened.

If nothing else, OLTL has shown the upper limit of her talent. She's a decent actress but she can't make a classic heroine like Jessica work on Jessica's own merits, or perhaps has convinced herself or allowed OLTL to convince her she can't - she rarely if ever plays an adult Jess, and she seemed to always throw herself into the comedy aspect of the DID follies while downplaying or outright failing to play anything involving Jessica actually digging deep or facing her traumas. When faced with really deep material, she tends to choke - with the exception of Nash's death and the recent wedding blow-up. But again, at the last moment, she had a safety valve each time: More "fun" with Tess. They never have made her play through this stuff long-term as just Jessica. If they had she might not seem so limited to me.

As it is, were the show going on I would welcome either the return of Erin Torpey or a third Jessica to flesh out the character more. I think Bree can do better, but she simply hasn't.

I do think she could be quite a good Belle on DAYS but I'd rather see them take Kirsten Storms back when GH goes under.

• Members

I definitely agree with you about her range - I don't think she has any at all - but I've seen so many people in primetime who are as bad, or worse, and some of them, like that woman on Castle, I still shake my head at. Sometimes these days it seems like the less talented you are the more work you get.

• Members

Well she's definitely a beautiful girl. Definitely didn't have the odd look of her predecessor (sometimes puberty can eff up a cute kid, and it lingers on for the rest of their life, but I digress...)

But if Lindsey McKeon (GL) and the chick who played Catalina (GL) can get a nod, along with Tammin Suresucks from Y&R, it's not really a fair assessment that a Younger Lead Actress Nomination = Big Talent.

But I'm sure she could find work on one of the CW Network shows as a too-old-to-be-cast-as-a-teenager highschool bombshell.

• Members

Frankly, I don't think they've ever made her, b/c they know how limited she is as "just Jess." Unfortunately, what used to be her only strength (Tess) has become more of a liability.

At this point, they could kill off Jess, give Erika Slezak one last, good Emmy reel, and I would be totally satisfied.

Archived