Characters Who Had TWO Great Romances

• Members

We all know soaps are about star-crossed lovers, the people that are supposed to be together , but the forces of evil (returned from the dead spouses, one-night-stands that result in pregnancies, disapproving parents, etc) keep them apart. But in the end, we know they'll end up together. Victor and Diane may be man and wife, but you know Victor/Nikki is the endgame. But what about those rare soap characters that have TWO great romances, where lightning strikes twice and the chemistry is there both times? Can you think of those in soaps who had two romances in their lives that you wouldn't be able to rate one above the other?

For me, I'd pick Lily from ATWT. Lily and Holden were ATWT's signature couple, and those who came between them were merely plot devices (Derek, Angel, Simon, Julie, Julia, etc). But then came Damian. I think TPTB thought he would be just be a temporary obstacle to the golden couple, but fans loved the chemistry between Martha and Paolo , not to mention the great storylines that went with it. So, if someone told me to choose between the two pairings , I'd have a really hard time deciding.

Your choices?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GL's Harley with Mallet and Phillip. (Some would argue Gus, making three...but me, not so much.) I loved Harley with Mallet. And I never felt Phillip and BC's Beth had the chemistry of Harley and Phillip, though I'm sure TIIC felt Phillip/Beth were the root-for couple.

• Members

I never liked Harley with Mallet or Phillip (that annoying theme Harley/Phillip had didn't help). Phillip was so controlling and dour and I thought Mallet was just a mushmouth bore/jerk (which Derwin carried over to OLTL). I liked her with Alan-Michael and Josh.

Search for Tomorrow - Liza had very popular romances with Steve Kaszlo and Travis Sentell

AW - Rachel Cory and Mac Cory, then Carl Hutchins

ATWT - Kim and Dan Stewart, and Bob Hughes

• Members

DAYS:

Marlena - Don, Roman, John

Jennifer - Frankie, Jack

Bo - Hope, Carly, Billie

Mike - Trish, Margo, Robin, Carrie

Tony - Renée, Anna

Sami - Brandon, Lucas (Austin was an obsession, and mentioning E.J. or Rafe is just embarassing.)

• Members

AMC: Tad with Hillary & Dixie.

ANOTHER WORLD: Cass with Kathleen & Frankie.

BOLD & BEAUTIFUL: Ridge with Caroline & Brooke.

DAYS: John with Marlena & Isabella.

EDGE OF NIGHT: Mike with Sara & Nancy.

GH: Scotty with Laura & Lucy.

GUIDING LIGHT: Beth with Phillip & Lujack.

OLTL: Bo with Sarah & Nora.

SEARCH FOR TOMORROW: Jo with Sam & Tony.

• Members

Santa Barbara:

Mason and Mary; Mason and Julia

Kelly and Joe; Kelly and Robert/Quinn (Murky due to the impostor issue! And it was two different actresses as Kelly)

Days:

John and Marlena (even if I hated her); John and Isabella (Loved them)

Bo and Hope; Bo and Carly; Bo and Billie

Carrie and Austin; Carrie and Mike (They were popular even with the opposing side!)

• Members

Wow, we agree on something because there aren't enough words to express how much I HATED Phillip and Harley.They were just wrong. I mean for a little fun fling they were fine, but then when they started to write them as really in love? That didn't work for me at all. I would say Harley/Mallet and Harley/Gus (though I wasn't necessarily a fan of the latter).

GH:

Lucy/Kevin and Lucy/Scotty

Santa Barbara

Mason/Mary (I didn't like Mary though) and Mason/Julia

GL:

I enjoyed Dinah/Hart, Dinah/Mallet and Dinah/Shayne, though the end of Dinah/Hart was all kinds of ugly and unnecessary and Dinah/Shayne were not even together a year they were all written quite well when together

Alan Michael/Elen and Alan Michael/Lucy (blech to Lucy though)

Beth/Phillip and Beth/Lujack

Y&R (back in the day):

Nikki/Victor and Nikki/Jack

Victor/Nikki and Victor/Ashley (some would count Hope I guess but I couldn't stand her dull martyr ass)

B&B (back in the day):

Ridge/Brooke, Ridge/Caroline, Ridge/Taylor

• Members

I thought of one: Peter Bergman: Dr. Cliff Warner, AMC/Jack Abbott, Y&R

I thought of Lane Davies with Evan Whyland, Days/Mason Capwell, Santa Barbara, but I'm not sure Evan was a GREAT role, so...

• Members

AMC:

Brooke with Pierce and Rev. Elliot Freeman. Haha, just kidding. Actually her romances with Adam, Edmund and Tom were extremely popular. Also Tad with Hillary and Dixie. And like them or not, Rylee both had previous big romances with Leo and Gillian. Also Linc with Kitty and Kelly. It's funny, the twin plot device probably wouldn't work now, but back then it was pretty novel, so I don't think viewers felt manipulated. Plus Peter White and Francesca James were marvelous actors who were able to pull that off. Also Palmer with Daisy and Opal. I never quite bought him with Opal, but they did have tons of fun together and were popular.

• Members

Yeah Peter was on my list. I also thought:

Robin Strasser-Rachel and Dorian

Beverlee McKinsey-Iris and Alex

Susan Flannery-Laura and Stephanie

John McCook-Lance and Eric

Jed Allan-Don and C.C.

Louise Sorel-Augusta and Vivian

Marj Dusay-Myrna and Vanessa (and Alex)

Robin Mattson-Gina and Janet (and Heather)

Archived