DAYS: May Discussion Thread

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You guys!! :wub:

I don't want to make it sound like Molly's the only reason I watch the show! lol That's definitely not true.

I've watched for 30 years and I love her spunk on camera and off of it. She really hasn't had a chance to show off her spunky side lately because Melanie has been stuck in a rut on camera. For the record, I'm huge fans of Peter, Kristian, Ari, Joe, Tamara, Nadia... and I loved Shelley and Jay when they were on there too. I was raised on 80s and 90s Days when there were quality couples and storylines. I like pretty much every actor on Days, some better than others.

The person that really has to go in this whole equation is Dena. Sheri Anderson would make such a good replacement because it's sooooo clear to me she loves all the actors past and present on Days. I think if you get a writer excited to write for actors and actresses it would show on camera. Look at One Life to Live... all of the actors worship Ron Carlivati and they act the HELL out of what he writes. On here, I think the actors sleepwalk half the time because the material is so uninspiring.

• Members

I WISH it was as simple as removing Dena.

Days has been in a rut going back to about 2002. Through every head writer, producer, etc... it has peaks and valleys like every other soap but its just in that rut and cant get out for long. In fact i dare say in the past decade it was actually at its best under dena, from the moment those babies were swapped unti Sami found out the truth.

What days needs is someone to come in and overhaul the show. Top to bottom, inside and outside, and have a solid plan and keep to it. Thats too much to ask for though, sadly. Im just happy i enjoy the show more than i dont now.

• Members

I understand that this is a matter of opinion, but I completely disagree.

The baby story might've been good compared to the stories we're seeing now, but I wouldn't call it great. 2008, 2009, 2010 and so far 2011 have all been awful, IMO. At least in previous years that was at least one story I could enjoy and the show was still somewhat recognizable, but now? The show in its current state is completely unwatchable. Not even the Reilly years (part deux) were this bad. As ridiculous as Melaswen was, at least it didn't put me to sleep.

Maybe the reason you've enjoyed the show so much these last few years is because there's been so much focus on Sami and Melanie, two of your favorite characters, but from what I can tell most viewers hate them both. Ali and Molly are two of the weakest actresses on the show. You also disliked J&M (right?), so their exits probably didn't bother you as much as it bothered others. Also, I know you dislike Hope, so Carly coming back probably had you over the moon. The show has been pretty much tailor made for you these past few years so I can totally see why you might've enjoyed it, but for me it's been completely unwatchable.

Different strokes I guess, LoL.

• Members

As you said, all a matter of opinion... and i agree with you on some points, like its generally a bore, but i do think the baby swap was the best story the show had done since.. the last baby swap. It was entertaining, full of emotion, every beat was played, and it involved the entire cast. It also played out perfectly over time and was one of the only stories that had a plan (granted, after sami found out it went to hell). As for Melaswen and Riley2.0, i guess it comes down to if you would prefer to bad its watchable to mock or just flat out boring. But R2.0 wasnt even the worst, the Hogan era was by far. It may have had great duologue and emotional moments, but it was few and far between and overall i feel he did more damage then even JER did,

Ive enjoyed the show so much in the last few years because its not a cartoon. As for Sami, its odd to me when people say so much focus is on her when that hasnt been the case for a few years now. Yes, shes at the center of the lead story but shes not a main player in it. The stories are not even about sami anymore, they are about ej and now even rafe. Sami reacts to story, she doesnt drive it. Melanie has def played a huge role in me enjoying the show, esp with the Mel/Nathan/Steph/Phil quad and her interactions with Victor, Brady and Maggie. And no, i did not dislike J&M, i loved them actually and still miss Marlena however i do think letting them go was a great choice and it benefited the show. Their time had come. As for Carly and Hope, yeah i hate Hope and Carly coming back was great for me, but for an odd reason because for me it isnt Carly vs Hope, it was a chance to see Bo be front and center and have some depth and Peter getting to act. I like Carly, but i could easily live without her.

Other things that have made me enjoy the show are the victor/maggie and kate/stefano dynamic. Actually, in general its been the character interactions. Really, the cast moves around and characters interact with each other much more now than in the past. No longer are characters only allowed to interact with their age range, but everyone and anyone depending on the story. The Melanie/Brady, Sami/Brady, Sami/Bo, Kate/Chad, etc relationships we have seen have been nice.

I am not saying the show is flawless. Oh, it has its flaws. A lot of them. However i just enjoy it. No, im not overly invested and i do not race home to watch it daily, but im not like that anymore with any show at all. The netflix/hulu/dvr/etc has made me much prefer watching a batch of episodes actually. But im veering off now, so... Yes, i would prefer the show of the mid 90's so what we have. However i am happy with what we have, i enjoy it, i appreciate it. This isnt the days i grew up watching, but i am ok with that.

As you said, different strokes though. That is how it works. Nothing can ever please everybody. I hope that one day it can please you again.

• Members

See, this is why I like the Days thread. Both Kenny and jp have vastly different opinions but instead of rubbishing each other, you just talked about the reasons why you dislike/like the show. I just want to say that I found myself agreeing with many points in both your posts.

Personally, I have grown to love Melanie/Molly and part of that has been the reasoned argument in defense of her in these Days threads. I hated her when she came on originally, thought she was a complete airhog who was trying too hard to be cute. I have warmed to the actress (who is actually extremely talented) and to the fact that she wasn't afraid to play bitch and make her character unlikeable. Melanie, to me, is a likeable bitch, if that makes any sense. I loved her bridal/baby shower scenes when she went toe-to-toe with a drunken Nicole. She was so snobby and judgy and Nicole was all "Bitch please. Have you taken a close look at your skanky past?" It was so balanced that I was rooting for both. I think seeeing more of Molly and Ari in scenes together would be FIRE. They naturally hate each other because they are so similar.

Losing Mark Hapka, Shelley Hennig and JKJ in quick succession has been hugely detrimental, though. I really miss all three at the moment. They gave the twentysomething set solidity. JKJ, to me, IS Philip and should be mixing it up with Brady and EJ for crying out loud (not to mention Victor and Kate. And Vivian!). I wish Days would go, cap in hand, and ask him back. I wish they'd do the same for MH and SH, too, and free up some of this interminable Sami/Fafe and Jennifer/Dr. McHairyChest time to devote more story to these peeps (I'd rather see Jennifer in a gamechanging SL with Bo and Hairy Chest off my screen. Sami needs a long break and a complete overhaul).

Finally, cannot say enough good things about Victor/Maggie and Stefano/Kate. I love Stefano and Kate so much, I actually get a excited when I see them in brief scenes together. The way they deeply love each other despite the fact that they don't trust each other is an exciting, interesting love story to me.

And while I agree with jp that fundamental structural reforms need to be done to prepare Days for the future (if it has one), firing/demoting Dena and hiring Sheri Andrerson as sungrey suggested would go some way to giving these wafer-thin SLs DH has dreamed up some heft, feeling and resonance.

• Members

I swore i was the only Jen/Bo fan. Yes, please.

As for Dena, id be fine with her leaving. We all know there are far better than her. But being better than her isnt exactly what is needed. What is needed is someone that come in and actually run the ship, top to bottom, inside and out. And that is just not going to happen. Too many cooks live in this kitchen.

• Members

Nicole is awesome. Arianne Zucker has been my favorite actress on Days for a long while now but her scenes confronting EJ yesterday where so realistic and well played. She could have really hammed it up with the hysterics but she played it note-perfect. AND she had EJ cornered like a dog. James Scott wisely sat back and let Ari do her stuff.

jp, Jen/Bo would be like Marlena realizing she had feelings for John Black while still with Roman back in 1993. It would literally change everything.

• Administrator

Woah, Bo/Jen is such a bad idea (re: Shane/Kayla or John/Hope). Bo/Jen would never do that to Hope. Also, it would not be like John/Marlena because when Roman came back Marlena had to bury her feelings for John. The affair was a perfect storyline started by Sheri Anderson and then Reilly who continued the storyline.

• Members

Perhaps, but it's clear that Higley & Co. see Sami as the new "lead heroine" of the show. The new Marlena, if you will -- just as they see Rafe as the new John Black and EJ as the new Stefano DiMera.

It would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

The Melanie/Nathan/Stephanie/Phillip quad was a mess. It floundered for the longest time and never really went anywhere. I kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever did. I don't blame the actors for getting fed up and deciding to leave. Who wouldn't?

Meanwhile, Melanie continues to annoy me. I hate, hate, hate that the entire world revolves around her and I hate, hate, hate that every man who comes in contact with her instantly falls in love. Does she have a magical vagina or something? When Victor Kiriakis is bending over backwards to kiss her ass, you know there's a problem.

As for Molly Burnett, I don't just like her. I find that she very often over-acts, and her baby talk makes me want to throw something at the TV. She spends more time trying to be cute and pixie-like (shades of Kirsten Storms circa 1999 -- or Paris Hilton) than trying to do her job well. Why is it so impossible for her to act her age? I'm sure she's sweet in real life, but on the show she annoys the piss out of me. Grow the f.uck up!

The Kate/Stefano dynamic is good, I agree, and so are Victor/Maggie. However, Stefano has been completely neutered. I don't care that he's older now and he's "softened with age." He's Stefano f-ing DiMera. Act like it! Ditto that for Vivian. Why is she being written like a senile old dingbat? People should fear her. They shouldn't be laughing at her.

Meanwhile, as nice as Victor and Maggie are, I feel like they're a complete accident and the show doesn't have any real plans for them. They're only used as filler. As soon as a bigger story comes along to hog up the airtime, those two will be dropped like a hot potato, so why invest? (Why invest in anything, really, when everything that's done is eventually undone? It makes long-term viewership rather pointless.)

I like this too. However, I need more than random character interactions to keep me tuning in. I need stories. Compelling stories. Chance encounters don't entice me to watch.

For example, last month we had the cake fight with Kate and Vivian at the Java Cafe. I thought, "Ooh, this should be good. Maybe they're finally going full steam ahead with the Kate/Vivian feud." To my disappointment, it turned out to be just another chance encounter that led to nothing. They had their their little Twinkie "fight" (in quotes for a reason) and that was that. Where's the story?

Meanwhile, it's funny to sit down and watch a marathon of episodes and notice how the characters just wander around in circles from the Java Cafe to the docks to the Brady Pub. Is Salem the world's smallest town or what?

That would be nice if I gave even the slightest damn about Melanie, Brady, Sami or Chad. Or Rafe or Gabi or Dario or Taylor or Daniel. I've even lost interest in the "veteran" characters because they're so horribly written. Stefano is a shell of his former self, as is Victor. Vivian is a joke. Hope is a bore. Bo is a glorified extra. Lexie is a snooze. Sami is a pod person. Brady is a cheeseball. Will puts me to sleep. Jennifer bores me with all her fawning over Daniel. I mean, the list goes on and on.

Yes. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I hope one day I can enjoy it again as well.

• Members

Am I the only one that don't like Stefano and Kate as a couple? Stefano blackmailed Kate to marry him, she hated it, then one day they are suddenly this loving couple. It was just lazy writing and I will never accept it.

Archived